hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bestie!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040

Bestie!!

What are some of the older (or more elderly!) forum users memories of George Bests time with us? His debut in 1979 must have been amazing?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. Think I also remember another no show at Cappielow which was another major let down for both the home and visiting fans. He still had moments of football magic in his head and his feet but his pace was gone when he joined us.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. Think I also remember another no show at Cappielow which was another major let down for both the home and visiting fans. He still had moments of football magic in his head and his feet but his pace was gone when he joined us.
    Did Hibs not score the winner in injury time at that game?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    I wish I'd seen it. However, my dad always said it was more of a gimmick to get people to games than a serious signing. What are your thoughts on that? He also says it was rather sad to see a once great player as a shadow of his former self, trying to recapture his past alongside much inferior players. Though he's glad he got the chance to see Georgie up close.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    What are some of the older (or more elderly!) forum users memories of George Bests time with us? His debut in 1979 must have been amazing?
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...best-1-1494635

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Some would describe George's career with Hibs as being a fairly successful commercial venture.

Football fans in general (not just Hibees) came from miles around just to say that they had witnessed an undoubted fitba' genius in action. His legs were gone but the skill and vision were still there. He was on a different planet from his teammates, often reading play which was a step ahead of the other players.

The only drawback was that no one (including the Management) never quite knew when he would be "available" to play - and that had nothing to do with injuries!

Great days, I feel truly privileged to have seen a genuine superstar in action.

Last edited by Golden Bear; 05-03-2019 at 04:26 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Thanks for that.

First Team Breakthrough
    As has been said already, it was a feet through the door exercise. Never knew what would happen.....a no show, or turn up and a couple of wee bits o' skill. Saying that, like most other Hibs fans you went along just in case. Probably never see anything like that again in the future, well no in my time, I wouldn't think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I wish I'd seen it. However, my dad always said it was more of a gimmick to get people to games than a serious signing. What are your thoughts on that? He also says it was rather sad to see a once great player as a shadow of his former self, trying to recapture his past alongside much inferior players. Though he's glad he got the chance to see Georgie up close.
    Funny just thinking about GB today as we have a couple of photos ( one signed) by him in my place off work

George Best along with Henrik Larsson and Zoltan Varga are my favourite players I've seen play in Scotland in terms of skill levels.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    There is / was a picture of Bestie hanging up (appropriately) in The Artisan on London rd.

Dunno if he was a patron and/or the pub are fans.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    I was only young at the time, that's how I remember it too though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    George Best along with Henrik Larsson and Zoltan Varga are my favourite players I've seen play in Scotland in terms of skill levels.
    Laudrop and Gazza weren't too shabby either, to be honest.

Yes, you are correct in that...👍

I think that game was the first to be played on a Sunday in Scotland. Probably wrong though.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Laudrop and Gazza weren't too shabby either, to be honest.
    My brother who hates football got a ball signed by that team somewhere in the attic unless my mum turfed it out to a jumble sale (probably !) would be worth a mint. Pretty much all the “greats” in that team.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

One of GB is in the newington inn for Hibs lotto. Bestie at the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Did Hibs not score the winner in injury time at that game?
    Pretty sure we won the Ayr United Cup tie 2-0 with one of the goals from the legend that was Duncan Lambie, a howlin footballer ! We lost the game at Cappielow by the same score, was at both games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    My brother who hates football got a ball signed by that team somewhere in the attic unless my mum turfed it out to a jumble sale (probably !) would be worth a mint. Pretty much all the “greats” in that team.
    Nice one.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Great times and as mentioned bigger crowds to see the great man play. Not the player he was but a cut above most in the SPL and a great passer.

I seen every match he played for us. He didn't always turn up mind.

He opened an exhaust centre at piershill where a huge crowd turned up, my late ma won the raffle he drew and got to meet him.

Years later I was lucky enough to get this press photo of him signing for Hibs.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Still had the football brain but the legs had gone

He could still ping an immaculate 40 yard pass and still had a mean shot ( remember his goal versus Celtic that put the ball and Peter Latchford in the back of the net) and free kick in his locker

I attended his debut at Love Street attendance 13600 Best scored in a 2-1 defeat and his home debut versus Partick Thistle in a 2-1 win in front of 20600 fans

I also remember his performance in a Christmas fixture at Easter Road in a badly needed 2-1 win versus Rangers

He got loads of stick from the fans someone threw a can of beer at him and he picked it up and pretended to take a drink from it

He nutmegged Derek Johnstone who promptly put him up in the air and he picked up the ball as if to say “Is this what you were after?”

The Ayr United Scottish Cup game was on a Sunday after George had got involved in an all night drinking session with the French Rugby Team

Everyone in the ground was disappointed when the Stadium announcer announced that HIBS number 7 would be Willie Murray

I am sure I read somewhere that Ally Macleod said that George Best only came to HIBS to look after his boots

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Pretty sure we won the Ayr United Cup tie 2-0 with one of the goals from the legend that was Duncan Lambie, a howlin footballer ! We lost the game at Cappielow by the same score, was at both games.
    Think you might be right, maybe I’m thinking of another game in the 80’s

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

He could still ping an immaculate 40 yard pass and still had a mean shot ( remember his goal versus Celtic that put the ball and Peter Latchford in the back of the net) and free kick in his locker

I attended his debut at Love Street attendance 13600 Best scored in a 2-1 defeat and his home debut versus Partick Thistle in a 2-1 win in front of 20600 fans

I also remember his performance in a Christmas fixture at Easter Road in a badly needed 2-1 win versus Rangers

He got loads of stick from the fans someone threw a can of beer at him and he picked it up and pretended to take a drink from it

He nutmegged Derek Johnstone who promptly put him up in the air and he picked up the ball as if to say “Is this what you were after?”

The Ayr United Scottish Cup game was on a Sunday after George had got involved in an all night drinking session with the French Rugby Team

Everyone in the ground was disappointed when the Stadium announcer announced that HIBS number 7 would be Willie Murray

I am sure I read somewhere that Ally Macleod said that George Best only came to HIBS to look after his boots

One can only shake the heid with a wry smile.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Good stories there Billy.

Even remembering the attendance figures is pretty impressive stuff.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Yes it was exciting times in an otherwise miserable season. Biggest disappointment for me was a Scottish Cup game at ER against Ayr - they packed the Dunbar end out - and when the team was announced over the tannoy there was no Georgie boy. .
    There was an old boy in the North Enclosure screaming at Tom Hart for his money back when he found out that Duncan Lambie was playing instead of Best

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Good stories there Billy.

Even remembering the attendance figures is pretty impressive stuff.
    18740 versus the Hun goals Campbell and Higgins
    15000 for the no show Scottish Cup game versus Ayr
    He was put up for sale after his disappearing act but returned to help us beat Dundee 2-0 pulling the strings in midfield and scoring a wonderful solo goal
    Sadly we were relegated that season but he did return to play a few games in the First Division
    His last game at Easter Road was in Jackie MacNamaras Testimonial versus Newcastle United in 1984

Legend!

Remember this game well. Was sitting directly behind GB's goal in the Old West. Some atmosphere that day, was only seven or eight at the time.

https://youtu.be/4YyA-AIvHM4

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive!

On the other hand the pubs closed at ten.

Coaching Staff
    I went to ER with my father in law to see his first game there, sure it was against Participate Thistle. As someone has said his legs had gone but, still the skill was there, ball control, passing & what a shot. It was fun while it lasted which wasn't long.

First player with a toiletries bag I’ve seen. Jackie Ralph and Ally etc soon emptied it