hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: A sad tale

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

A sad tale

Today I tried to do one of these old fashioned things of paying in cash and buying a stamp to post a letter.
    Had letter in hand but didn’t have a stamp. Thinking I don’t want to buy a single stamp and pay by a debit card I’ll get some cash from the ATM. First machine I go to, not got any cash, second machine everything seems fine takes my card and details and returns the card but doesn’t give me any cash. OK methinks check the balance on my phone, transaction didn’t go through just need to find another machine. Gets money from the third machine.
    It’s later in the evening now and the post office counter is closed but it’s part of a small supermarket worst case scenario I’ll just have to buy a book of 6 they’ll come in handy.
    Guy at the till says sorry I can’t sell you a stamp the post office counter is closed, but I’ll get my supervisor he might be able to get you one.
    Helpful chap I’m thinking. Supervisor comes along a couple of minutes later to tell me sorry I can’t sell you a stamp “I’m not post office trained” but you could try the co-op along the road they sell books of stamps.
    Patience is wearing thin by now so troops along to the co-op guy in there says sorry I’ve only got books of 12 second class stamps we used to be able to split them up but we’re not allowed to now.

That was the final straw for me I gave up I still have my letter unstamped and un-posted.

What has the world come to.

Will try and blag a stamp of someone at work tomorrow.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    To be honest you could have saved your self all that bother while also saving us the misfortune of having to read this story if you had just bought the stamp using your debit card in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest you could have saved your self all that bother while also saving us the misfortune of having to read this story if you had just bought the stamp using your debit card in the first place.
    Hahahaha 👏

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post

Good one I deserve that

I guess my point is why does what would seem to be a simple task have to be so complicated beurocracy gone mad. The guy saying he can’t sell me a stamp because he’s not post office trained just made my day.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Bit surprised you didn't try to fax the letter.

This is the kind of thing you get with bigger companies / corporates.

In a Tesco you're more likely to find nonsensical procedural barriers put in your way.

In a small corner shop, where you're being served by the guy who owns it you're more likely to have someone who wants to help, isn't bound by rules designed to keep tens of thousands of employees in order and who will find a way to sell you a stamp.

I'm not a big one for protectionism but I will do my best to support local businesses where possible so we can continue to hang onto the types of people who make these types of situation easy and not the ******g nightmare you describe.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Have you got a stamp yet

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post

Today I tried to do one of these old fashioned things of paying in cash and buying a stamp to post a letter.
    Had letter in hand but didn’t have a stamp. Thinking I don’t want to buy a single stamp and pay by a debit card I’ll get some cash from the ATM. First machine I go to, not got any cash, second machine everything seems fine takes my card and details and returns the card but doesn’t give me any cash. OK methinks check the balance on my phone, transaction didn’t go through just need to find another machine. Gets money from the third machine.
    It’s later in the evening now and the post office counter is closed but it’s part of a small supermarket worst case scenario I’ll just have to buy a book of 6 they’ll come in handy.
    Guy at the till says sorry I can’t sell you a stamp the post office counter is closed, but I’ll get my supervisor he might be able to get you one.
    Helpful chap I’m thinking. Supervisor comes along a couple of minutes later to tell me sorry I can’t sell you a stamp “I’m not post office trained” but you could try the co-op along the road they sell books of stamps.
    Patience is wearing thin by now so troops along to the co-op guy in there says sorry I’ve only got books of 12 second class stamps we used to be able to split them up but we’re not allowed to now.

That was the final straw for me I gave up I still have my letter unstamped and un-posted.

What has the world come to.

Will try and blag a stamp of someone at work tomorrow.
    Click and drop - never need a stamp again.

https://parcel.royalmail.com/