hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face Only eight points behind fourth place

...and with it possible European qualification.

It would be a challenge, but you never know

2. Log in to remove the advert

We would need a hand off a few teams as obviously we won't win every game but with a but of luck we could do it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It would be a challenge, but you never know

It's great to be looking up the table. We have some big games coming up and I suspect top 6 is still the realistic target. Killie and Hearts are both looking shaky at the moment so you never know.

The feel good factor is definitely back.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    We would need a hand off a few teams as obviously we won't win every game but with a but of luck we could do it

Definitely, and it would be very challenging, but I think it's a great motivation for the players to give their all for the rest of the season to have that as a target.

I'm not saying it's likely but it's good to aim high.

Left by mutual consent!
    We need to be looking forward rather than backwards. Huge game on Wednesday! Can’t wait.

It’s a disaster at Hibs btw don’t you know

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    If we can stay in the top 6 by the split and keep close to the teams above, then know knows where we could finish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only if we are knocked out by Celtic on Saturday (or Rangers somehow miraculously won the double). You can only qualify for Europe from 4th place if the league winners win the cup.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Only if we are knocked out by Celtic on Saturday (or Rangers somehow miraculously won the double). You can only qualify for Europe from 4th place if the league winners win the cup.

So are you saying we should lie down to Celtc to have a shot at 4th place euro qualification?

Not quite right. If any of the top 3 placed teams in the league win the cup then 4th place would then get Europe.

We just need to focus on making top 6 by keep winning then see what happens. Still plenty of football before then.

Since Hecky has come in its been a rescue mission to get us there plus the benefits of extra gate money etc.

So are you saying we should lie down to Celtc to have a shot at 4th place euro qualification?

I couldn't possibly comment.

But if we do knock them out on Saturday, 4th place will not be going to Europe unless the winners of Aberdeen vs Rangers go on to win the Scottish Cup.

I thought they stopped the runners up getting to Europe all together? So if Aberdeen were to finish 3rd and win the cup then 4th would get Europe. If I'm wrong fair enough

Sorry, only remembered 2nd and 3rd afterwards. Still stuck in the mindset from last May when we needed Celtic to beat Motherwell.

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    I thought they stopped the runners up getting to Europe all together? So if Aberdeen were to finish 3rd and win the cup then 4th would get Europe. If I'm wrong fair enough

It's the Cup Winners that qualify, unless they've already finished in the top three, in which case the fourth place team then qualifies.

I couldn't possibly comment.

But if we do knock them out on Saturday, 4th place will not be going to Europe unless the winners of Aberdeen vs Rangers go on to win the Scottish Cup.
    Or we could finish 4th and win the cup😎😎 in which case the team that finish 4th would qualify for Europe 😎

Quote Originally Posted by rotherhamrob View Post
    Or we could finish 4th and win the cup😎😎 in which case the team that finish 4th would qualify for Europe 😎

I like your version much better

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'd like us to qualify for the top 6 first ...
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Need to stay focused on top 6, by beating St J midweek. That's all that matters just now, some folk are getting way ahead of themselves.

If PH managed to secure top 4 and European football this season, it would trump anything Lennon ever did as Hibs manager and likely result in his move away from ER in the summer.

Id like us to win the cup and put Hertz out of europe ( if they were to qualify by place).....

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'd like us to qualify for the top 6 first ...

Yep, that's the first target, but there's no harm in aiming as high as possible.

It's just nice that our season's not actually over yet after all.

Testimonial Due
    I watched the hertz game on vipB. Their pitch actually looks ok now and is Ok for teams that like to pass and move the ball quickly. St Mirren were very fast on the break and that gave the lumps in the middle a few headaches.
    Berra does not like speed. But for a great save from the Zamal who replaced Doyle after his 1 howler , they would have scored 2 own goals.
    Generally they play losts of high balls , always big and physical ... celtic will put 3 past them if they play like the away game in Valencia and keep 11 on the park.
    4th Place for Hibs ...not sure yet......acid test might be st johnstone. certainly Dunedde and St mirren are improving, Motherwell are on a run, killie are going into a slump so its all to play for. I am not sure the starting 11
    however are good enough.......missing too many players.... but if we keep improving.........??

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Need to stay focused on top 6, by beating St J midweek. That's all that matters just now, some folk are getting way ahead of themselves.

If PH managed to secure top 4 and European football this season, it would trump anything Lennon ever did as Hibs manager and likely result in his move away from ER in the summer.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post

Not sure it would result in a move so quickly but it would definitely equal and arguably trump what Lennon did last year. The Heck took over a shambles with players out of form and lacking confidence, drive and belief. We had no idea what the first 11 was(we do now it has played 3 games on the spin) and players had not formed partnerships with each other. Most of all we were a punt it up the park no style mess when Lennon did whatever he did and left. To turn that round and get to fourth would be a great achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    Well, of course it would?

Lennon inherited a fantastic Stubbs side and, while achieving the bare minimum with promotion in his first season and then having a storming second half of 2017/18, ultimately squandered it and left us in 8th.

If, and of course it is a MASSIVE if (that I don't think will happen) Heckingbottom led us into Europe given the shambles he inherited from Lennon, then yes, it would be a bigger achievement.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Well, of course it would?

Lennon inherited a fantastic Stubbs side and, while achieving the bare minimum with promotion in his first season and then having a storming second half of 2017/18, ultimately squandered it and left us in 8th.

If, and of course it is a MASSIVE if (that I don't think will happen) Heckingbottom led us into Europe given the shambles he inherited from Lennon, then yes, it would be a bigger achievement.
    Do some folk just hate Lennon now? Haha.

Personally I don't think it would beat finishing in 4th place (6 points off second) and gaining our highest ever points total. All in the first season back up in the league. Couple that with playing some of the best football I've ever seen us play.

Jeez, another attempt at a positive thread has taken a turn for the worse...

Lennon's gone, let's just forget about him and move on.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 24-02-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Jeez, another attempt at a positive thread has taken a turn for the worse...

Lennon's gone, let's just forget about him and move one.
    I actually agree, sorry.

8 points is definitely in us though! Wednesday night is massive! Looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    I actually agree, sorry.

8 points is definitely in us though! Wednesday night is massive! Looking forward to it.

Beat St J and then the Huns and I'll be a believer. Definitely doable.