Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trade Unions

Quote Originally Posted by Lester B View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nonsense.

Right now, do you get paid holidays? That's thanks to trade unions

Do they pay overtime at enhanced rates? That was due to unions

Do you get sick pay right now? You're welcome

Can your employer fire you without good reason regardless of how long you've been there? No? Good. No it's OK. Don't mention it.

Trade unions basically invented public holidays and the weekend too

Your employment rights today stem from the history of the trade union movement. Interestingly enough, more recent rights come from the EU with not a little canvassing from European unions but that's another story.

It has everything to do with right now.

Two of my great-great grandfathers were killed in industrial accidents through employer negligence before they were 30. The fact that employers could get away with such negligence was challenged by working class people organising into the trade union movement which is political act in itself. You may not be a fan of a trade union leader giving a political opinion on the TV. He or she has as much right to do so as someone from IoD, FSB or the CBI. More so I'd argue because they represent a larger group of people.

Now my coffee break is over and I need to help someone with their employment rights. I'm so old fashioned at times

You ****ing dinosaur.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nonsense.

Right now, do you get paid holidays? That's thanks to trade unions

Do they pay overtime at enhanced rates? That was due to unions

Do you get sick pay right now? You're welcome

Can your employer fire you without good reason regardless of how long you've been there? No? Good. No it's OK. Don't mention it.

Trade unions basically invented public holidays and the weekend too

Your employment rights today stem from the history of the trade union movement. Interestingly enough, more recent rights come from the EU with not a little canvassing from European unions but that's another story.

It has everything to do with right now.

Two of my great-great grandfathers were killed in industrial accidents through employer negligence before they were 30. The fact that employers could get away with such negligence was challenged by working class people organising into the trade union movement which is political act in itself. You may not be a fan of a trade union leader giving a political opinion on the TV. He or she has as much right to do so as someone from IoD, FSB or the CBI. More so I'd argue because they represent a larger group of people.

Now my coffee break is over and I need to help someone with their employment rights. I'm so old fashioned at times
    Ta v much.

If you could sort me out with a 4 day week, that would be champion.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Ta v much.

You want compressed hours, term time working or just to drop a day? Give me something to aim to bud There's a seven stage formal process with recognised time limits and is made easier if you have children under 18.

And your membership number for our records is....? Hello? I can take a postcode if you don't have it to hand

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I found it much worse when defending some village idiot successfully, knowing they were a complete chancer and other people were having to carry a lot of their load.
    Some chancers get a rocket up their bahooky and improve. Seen it happen. There are others who don't so when you hear from them in the same trouble as before I've no problem saying 'getting you off last time was a minor miracle, you're asking for a major one this time. I can't do that'

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I found it much worse when defending some village idiot successfully, knowing they were a complete chancer and other people were having to carry a lot of their load.
    I get a lot of that. Afterwards I always make sure they know I know they're at it. Next time they normally ask for another rep.

First Team Breakthrough Besties Debut's Avatar
    I was a dedicated member of the FBU for 30 years. Your workplace would be a less safe environment, your terms and conditions would be worse and your pay rises would be minimal if it was left up to the bosses. The union protects you from the worst excesses of management not too mention representing you in disciplinaries and providing legal assistance. I would advise everyone who has the chance to join a union

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Personally not a fan but each to their own I suppose.

First Team Regular Johnny Clash's Avatar
    Trade unions do a lot of good with most achievents not getting publicised. The best unions Iíd say are the more active ones that encourage member participation. A Union is simply a collective of working people after all so democracy is important and all elected officials should be accountable to the members.,

Politics is part of life so itís fair enough unions having a voice. You pay something like 8p a year into the political fund and legally unions need separate funds to campaign against the likes of job closures or senseless privatisations.

Itís also interesting that Hibs , in our early days, had a close affinity with the miners union and played fundraisers to help mining communities when on strike. The miners repaid the favour when Hibs were struggling to survive.

So to answer the OPs question - yes, go join a trade union and take an active interest. Itís your legal right. Nobody can stop you joining a union.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I would always encourage someone to join their union. You don't have to be politically minded or even a labour supporter. It's good to have the back up of a union, whether it's just an individual dispute between you and your employer or the entire work force, it's good to have help or advise just a phone call away.

I've been in a union since i was serving my time, joined the old EEPTU about 1980 and still there through all they're amalgamations over the years. EEPTU - AEEU - Amicus and now Unite. Had a we stint in the Oilc in the 90's.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

I paid Unison quite a bit in fees and they were utterly useless when I called on them. Total waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    I paid Unison quite a bit in fees and they were utterly useless when I called on them. Total waste of money.
    Likewise RMT with me. I absolutely support union membership though. Now looking for another to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Likewise RMT with me. I absolutely support union membership though. Now looking for another to join.
    I found the GMB actually wanted to do their jobs.

@hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Ta v much.

The four-day working week will happen, but we'll all be retired by then and will therefore oppose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    I found the GMB actually wanted to do their jobs.
    I'll have a look, thanks.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Some chancers get a rocket up their bahooky and improve. Seen it happen. There are others who don't so when you hear from them in the same trouble as before I've no problem saying 'getting you off last time was a minor miracle, you're asking for a major one this time. I can't do that'
    Certainly when we were trying to set up a performance improvement planning roadmap in an old company of mine they just kicked back every time..Not sure if its the same eerywhere but we had to sit in front of a panel of 10 or so union reps with our proposals...Turned out a couple who were on the panel were underperforming so obviously didnt want anything official & transparent being set up ......Apart from that I do think thet are a good thing & if I was employed would certanly sign up