hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Robbie Stockdale

He's been largely ignored in all this.

What do we know of him?

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

He was highly thought of at Sunderland and survived a few regime changes there.

I'm sure he had one of their younger teams unbeaten for a year there. Good at developing players.

Heckingbottom was keen to get him away from Sunderland but I'm sure he said in his interview that Moyes didn't let him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's been largely ignored in all this.

What do we know of him?

Thoughts?
    Was thinking the same earlier. He's been overlooked a little in all the chat. I've no real justification but I think he could be just as important as PH. Seems to know what he's about and what he's doing. For another young coach, he's already amassed quite a bit of experience.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    It’s ideal, two young hungry coaches that will help get our youngsters into the first team. Fantastic. Hopefully no more ageing journeymen the end of their career with no future value.

Tremendous.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Definitely feel good that they've arrived as a pair - had he been appointed with no assistant I would have felt less assured.

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Robbie stockdale

I can see a similar pattern to when mowbray and venus took over at hibs
    i hope i am right

Quote Originally Posted by hibsfan7 View Post
    I can see a similar pattern to when mowbray and venus took over at hibs
    i hope i am right
    I hope so too, though IIRC Mowbray was appointed and then took a wee while to choose Venus.

He probably came out of the Netflix Sunderland documentary better than most.

Like Heckingbottom I know nothing much about him so they both have a clean slate with no preconceptions from me. Hopefully a few others come round to that way of thinking as the reactions I have been have been depressingly hysterical in their negativity.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

I can't believe someone managed to get 5 caps for Scotland and I haven't heard of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He probably came out of the Netflix Sunderland documentary better than most.

Like Heckingbottom I know nothing much about him so they both have a clean slate with no preconceptions from me. Hopefully a few others come round to that way of thinking as the reactions I have been have been depressingly hysterical in their negativity.
    Read this about 3 times and thought you were suggesting some kind of coaching blind date was going on here ... must need more coffee.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    I can't believe someone managed to get 5 caps for Scotland and I haven't heard of him.
    It was as part of Bertie Vogts scattergun approach to International selection.

TBH, I am slightly disappointed that I was never selected

One positive is that we have not had to pay any compensation to land either Stockdale or Heckingbottom.

He was very highly regarded at Sunderland, particularly by David Moyes, who I think tried to take him to West Ham, and, as others have said, came across well in Sunderland documentary.

A friend of a friend did their coaching badges with Robbie and I remember him saying that he really excelled on that particular cohort, he was very surprised that Robbie hadn't been picked up by another club after Jack Ross let him go to bring in his own regime in the summer. I think he's a really big coup for the club, possibly dare I say it, a bigger coup than PH himself.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    It was as part of Bertie Vogts scattergun approach to International selection.

TBH, I am slightly disappointed that I was never selected
    I got called up to the squad for a game, but I had to feign injury because we had an important game coming up against the Clerry Inn.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitherhibs View Post
    He was very highly regarded at Sunderland, particularly by David Moyes, who I think tried to take him to West Ham, and, as others have said, came across well in Sunderland documentary.

A friend of a friend did their coaching badges with Robbie and I remember him saying that he really excelled on that particular cohort, he was very surprised that Robbie hadn't been picked up by another club after Jack Ross let him go to bring in his own regime in the summer. I think he's a really big coup for the club, possibly dare I say it, a bigger coup than PH himself.
    In PH Hibs tv interview, he talks about a structure where either he or RS should be interchangeable, working in the same direction, and able to talk the team through the same tactics and aims.

Its simply good management, to be honest.

In any business, if the team cant perform, or fails because the "figurehead" is away, off sick, leaves etc its not been set up well in the first place.

A good manager sets his teams up in order that they should be able to operate almost without the boss, everyone knows whats expected of them, doesnt need to defer to anyone and that allows people to grow and achieve.

Some bosses dont understand that, let their egos get in the way and think micromanagement is what its about. Some staff find that hard as they have spent their entire career being told what to do.

PH sounds like he knows his stuff, lets hope it shows on the park.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    I think they were all friendly fixtures so he can still claim allegiance to the country of his birth and play for England

In PH Hibs tv interview, he talks about a structure where either he or RS should be interchangeable, working in the same direction, and able to talk the team through the same tactics and aims.

In any business, if the team cant perform, or fails because the "figurehead" is away, off sick, leaves etc its not been set up well in the first place.

A good manager sets his teams up in order that they should be able to operate almost without the boss, everyone knows whats expected of them, doesnt need to defer to anyone and that allows people to grow and achieve.

Some bosses dont understand that, let their egos get in the way and think micromanagement is what its about. Some staff find that hard as they have spent their entire career being told what to do.

Couldn't agree more buddie. Obviously a fair bit down the road yet, and early days but I could certainly see a scenario whereby when PH leaves (hopefully after a very successful spell in charge) that RS would take the head coach role, if that's what he wants. Very shrewd acquisitions by the club both of them, fit perfectly into our current structure and match our future ambitions.

My hope is that all the neighsayers give them both the time they deserve, in spite of them not being the names they wanted, I fear if we don't make top 6 this season that might not be the case. Timing is crucial in football.

@hibs.net private member

Totally agree with this. I appreciate football doesn't work the same as most jobs but that still holds for me, regardless of the industry.

Teams that are built around one individual at the top may well have success but usually struggle when that person leaves as there is no one to fill the void.

The structure being proposed here makes so much sense thinking about the clubs long term stability.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

That's because they were all in the Bertie Vogts "Does anyone in the bar fancy a game tomorrow? There's a Scotland cap in it for you" era.

Not sure he was really too hot as a player but that's never counted against the very best managers and coaches.

There’s quite a few who got a lot more caps for Scotland that I seriously wish I hadn’t heard of !!

Stockdale was playing for a team that finished 11th in the Premiership in the year that he was capped by Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    That's because they were all in the Bertie Vogts "Does anyone in the bar fancy a game tomorrow? There's a Scotland cap in it for you" era.

Not sure he was really too hot as a player but that's never counted against the very best managers and coaches.
    In Berti's defense he had to start from scratch after the mess Craig Brown left. We had guys playing qualifiers for under Brown who hadn't had a club in months. Note I don't mean "games at a club" I mean free agents for months!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I got called up to the squad for a game, but I had to feign injury because we had an important game coming up against the Clerry Inn.
    you probably didnt need to feign injury after that game😁

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    It’s ideal, two young hungry coaches that will help get our youngsters into the first team. Fantastic. Hopefully no more ageing journeymen the end of their career with no future value.

Tremendous.
    Totally agree. I'd also add, ageing journeymen who usually didn't even play week to week. Waste of money. Here's hoping we now go with young players eager to make a name and who want to progress!

So excited about this new regime. Hail hail the Hibs are here 🎶🎵😁

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Was thinking the same earlier. He's been overlooked a little in all the chat. I've no real justification but I think he could be just as important as PH. Seems to know what he's about and what he's doing. For another young coach, he's already amassed quite a bit of experience.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head!

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmack7 View Post
    you probably didnt need to feign injury after that game😁
    ....I remember when the clerie closed at 2.30 on saturday we used to go onto drumbrea to play 30 a side for a couple of hours,happy days.

Good YouTube interview with him today.

Quote Originally Posted by H18S NX View Post
    ....I remember when the clerie closed at 2.30 on saturday we used to go onto drumbrea to play 30 a side for a couple of hours,happy days.
    I always regretted living in Parkgrove Crescent as we ended up drinking at the Barnton Hotel with a posse of Jambos. Mind you before Craigmount School was built, Tynecastle School was where laddies went. Barnton Thistle pinched a few good footballers from Clerrie Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    I always regretted living in Parkgrove Crescent as we ended up drinking at the Barnton Hotel with a posse of Jambos. Mind you before Craigmount School was built, Tynecastle School was where laddies went. Barnton Thistle pinched a few good footballers from Clerrie Hearts.
    a large % of the clientele are hibbys now, Good pub aswell,

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    I lived in Parkgrove Crescent most ma life, brilliant street at the time, drank at the Clerie and now and again the Rainbow.