hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 54 of 54
  1. #31
    Testimonial Due Waxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Age
    49
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Henry Henry drop the ball, Henry drop the ball.
    Haha what a great chant that was. Just had a memory flash of Craig Levien lobbing the ball over Henry for an og at the gorgie road end must have been way back when? Anyone remember that?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Gray and McGregor sign extentions.
    I like both Gray & McGregor but if he keeps these guys we will only be moving Bartley and Nelom on in May plus the loans.
    The more players he keeps the less he can bring in and contracted players tend to sit tight.

    Earlier in the month folk on here were moaning about the number of loan players at the club. The advantage of loans over contracted players will play out for the club at the end of the season and may save McGregor and Gray, by providing the necessary wriggle room for the new manager to bring in players that he believes he needs to improve the team. It will be certainly be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 14-02-2019 at 03:51 PM.

  4. #33
    Has he come in as a "Manager" or a "Head Coach"? Given statements about a good fit with the structure I assume the latter and that whilst he will have input into who we pursue as signings it is likely the vast majority of candidates will be those identified through George Craigs department at the club and he'll be given some sort of veto over who comes in, though not necessarily who leaves.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has he come in as a "Manager" or a "Head Coach"? Given statements about a good fit with the structure I assume the latter and that whilst he will have input into who we pursue as signings it is likely the vast majority of candidates will be those identified through George Craigs department at the club and he'll be given some sort of veto over who comes in, though not necessarily who leaves.
    His job title is Head Coach but he will decide player in and outs.
    He will tell George's team which player or what type of player he wants.
    They will do the leg work and then come back to the manager with information or a list of players who fit the criteria.
    Once he has decided who he wants he will go to Leanne and she will say yes or no based on the case he makes and the cost.
    He will know his budget and will know how many players he wants and will then have to wheel and deal to get close to the team he wants.

  6. #35
    Coaching Staff jgl07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Merchiston
    Posts
    7,038
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember Jimmy Greaves calling BS on the old Hearts keeper Henry Smith being Scottish too 😂
    Smith is the most common surname in Scotland, believe it or not.

    I can remember when Partick Thistle had Issac English and Gerry Britton playing for them and Hibs had Brian Welsh. Dunfermline had Hamish French. They were all Scottish.

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member tamig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    6,580
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His job title is Head Coach but he will decide player in and outs.
    He will tell George's team which player or what type of player he wants.
    They will do the leg work and then come back to the manager with information or a list of players who fit the criteria.
    Once he has decided who he wants he will go to Leanne and she will say yes or no based on the case he makes and the cost.
    He will know his budget and will know how many players he wants and will then have to wheel and deal to get close to the team he wants.
    Thatís how I reckon it works although I reckon it would be Craig approaching the Board for approval on any transfers.

  8. #37
    First Team Breakthrough TelaStella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    EH16
    Posts
    400
    Did he sign Mallan while at Barnsley?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he sign Mallan while at Barnsley?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He did.
    Then didn't play him.
    Think he was even struggling to get in the match day squad before Christmas

  10. #39
    Testimonial Due SquashedFrogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,987
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He did.
    Then didn't play him.
    Think he was even struggling to get in the match day squad before Christmas
    Mallan was young and signed to develop as a long term prospect. A St Mirren youngster was never bought to play straight away.

    But hey, let wiki facts twist the truth.
    Last edited by SquashedFrogg; 15-02-2019 at 12:50 AM.

  11. #40
    First Team Breakthrough hibbiemacfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Sunny Oban.
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mallan was young and signed to develop as a long term prospect. A St Mirren youngster was never bought to play straight away.

    But hey, let wiki facts twist the truth.

    It's amazing how desperate people are to put a downer on our new manager.
    Heckingbottom also signed Liam Lindsay a young defender from Partick Thistle who has now played 70 games for Barnsley. Lindsay is now 23 same age as Steve Mallan.

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due SquashedFrogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,987
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbiemacfie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heckingbottom also signed Liam Lindsay a young defender from Partick Thistle who has now played 70 games for Barnsley. Lindsay is now 23 same age as Steve Mallan.
    But Mallan doesn't play for Barnsley? Not sure what your point is?
    Last edited by SquashedFrogg; 15-02-2019 at 01:05 AM.

  13. #42
    First Team Breakthrough hibbiemacfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Sunny Oban.
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But Mallan doesn't play for Barnsley? Not sure what your point is?
    You said Mallan was a young St.Mirren player who wasn't signed to play straight away. Is that a fact? You just assumed that or it's your opinion of events. The former Partick player is the same age and has played regularly for Barnsley since signing. That is fact. 21 years old is not that young for a footballer just look at Ryan Porteous.

  14. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mallan was young and signed to develop as a long term prospect. A St Mirren youngster was never bought to play straight away.

    But hey, let wiki facts twist the truth.
    Liam Lindsay is only about 9 months older than Steven Mallan.
    Heckenbottom signed them both for Barnsley in summer of 2017 from Scottish Clubs where they had both been doing well.
    Being a small club Barnsley would have IMO been looking for both to quickly make their mark in the 1st team.
    As it turned out Lindsay was an almost ever present in the 2017/18 season and was voted the Barnsley players, player of the season and Mallan barely kicked a ball.

    As a result we were able to get our hands on Mallan.
    Don't know if he will be feeling positive about Heckenbottom being his boss again.
    I hope you are right and Mallan can develop and improve at Hibs.
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 15-02-2019 at 01:59 AM.

  15. #44
    First Team Breakthrough hibbiemacfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Sunny Oban.
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Liam Lindsay is only about 9 months older than Steven Mallan.
    Heckenbottom signed them both for Barnsley from Scottish Clubs where they had both been doing well.
    Being a small club they would have IMO been looking for both to quickly play in the 1st team.
    As it turned out Lindsay was an almost ever present and the clubs player of the season and Mallan barely kicked a ball.
    As a result we were able to get our hands on Mallen.
    Don't know if he will be feeling positive about Heckenbottom being his boss again.
    Spot on Colin! Hibs also signed a young St.Mirren player and he became a regular at Hibs straight away. His name is John McGinn and iirc he was 20 years old. To say a St.Mirren young player wasn't signed to play straight away is condescending towards St.Mirren.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,652
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like both Gray & McGregor but if he keeps these guys we will only be moving Bartley and Nelom on in May plus the loans.
    The more players he keeps the less he can bring in and contracted players tend to sit tight.

    Earlier in the month folk on here were moaning about the number of loan players at the club. The advantage of loans over contracted players will play out for the club at the end of the season and may save McGregor and Gray, by providing the necessary wriggle room for the new manager to bring in players that he believes he needs to improve the team. It will be certainly be interesting to see what happens.
    I mentioned the loan players several times and still stand by what I said. For every loan player we have thatís a wage that could be going to a signed player who we may be able to develope and sell on.

    Tin hat firmly on here. Individually we have a good defence on paper but as a unit the last 6 months ( my personal view ) they donít seem to work as a unit. They seldom come out in a straight line and catch teams offside, more often than not thereís one of them playing someone onside. Some of the goals conceded have been rather easily scored.

    SDG:-Been outstanding for Hibs but been injured a lot.
    LS :- Solid pro and been a great servant to Hibs.
    PH:- Was being quoted by some for a call up but since coming back from injury has been not the same player.
    Milligan:- Solid pro looked better since coming back from international games.
    Port:- Out rest of the season and a great long term prospect.
    SMac:- Another good prospect who has looked good since breaking through.
    Whittís:- Sold pro great career but not the youngest and probably a squad filler at best now.

    The problem I think we have is we are predictable and donít have the squad to shake the defence up which allows players to be complacent knowing thereís no one there to take there jersey and allows other teams to target individual players as week links as they see them.

    Iím sure a few on here will disagree with me and thatís good as itís all about opinions but if we do keep the players whoís contracts are running out they have to practice as a unit.

    On about units, throw ins will need to practiced a hell of a lot.

    GGTTH

  17. #46
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mount Florida
    Posts
    22,054
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Smith is the most common surname in Scotland, believe it or not.

    I can remember when Partick Thistle had Issac English and Gerry Britton playing for them and Hibs had Brian Welsh. Dunfermline had Hamish French. They were all Scottish.
    Actually, it's Singh.

  18. #47
    Coaching Staff HoboHarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, it's Singh.
    You can Singh fur yer supper if ye keep talking s***e......

  19. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Liam Lindsay is only about 9 months older than Steven Mallan.
    Heckenbottom signed them both for Barnsley in summer of 2017 from Scottish Clubs where they had both been doing well.
    Being a small club Barnsley would have IMO been looking for both to quickly make their mark in the 1st team.
    As it turned out Lindsay was an almost ever present in the 2017/18 season and was voted the Barnsley players, player of the season and Mallan barely kicked a ball.

    As a result we were able to get our hands on Mallan.
    Don't know if he will be feeling positive about Heckenbottom being his boss again.
    I hope you are right and Mallan can develop and improve at Hibs.
    Lindsay was and is a better player than Mallan. That's not me saying Mallan is bad but Lindsay was player of the year for a top 6 premiership team in Scotland and arguably one of the best centre backs in the league that season. Mallan was playing in the bottom half of the championship which is a much much bigger step up to the game down south

  20. #49
    First Team Regular Mick O'Rourke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Clermiston
    Posts
    807
    Hecky was asked about Stevie in this interview he did for The Herald the other day.

    https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport...st-midfielder/

  21. #50
    First Team Regular ArmadaleHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    46
    Posts
    588
    One things for sure, heís going to have Scott Allan available next season and I guarantee he will be creaming himself when he finds out exactly what type of player he is and how he changes our team. That I have no doubt. If scotty enjoys playing for this guy and the other players also it could be the signing of the century.

    GGTTH

  22. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Henry Henry drop the ball, Henry drop the ball.
    Best estate agent in Edinburgh, sold a lot of semi's.

  23. #52
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    12,051
    Just a centre back, midfielder and striker, please. Gauld (if he stays) and Allan will be excellent together and solve the problem of creativity in midfield. Lennon did excellent work there before it ended; now PH needs to address our other obvious flaws.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

  24. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just a centre back, midfielder and striker, please. Gauld (if he stays) and Allan will be excellent together and solve the problem of creativity in midfield. Lennon did excellent work there before it ended; now PH needs to address our other obvious flaws.
    Gauld needs to prove himself first...done very little thus far before getting injured...so he's on trial a long with everyone else in the squad till May now

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  25. #54
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by davhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lindsay was and is a better player than Mallan. That's not me saying Mallan is bad but Lindsay was player of the year for a top 6 premiership team in Scotland and arguably one of the best centre backs in the league that season. Mallan was playing in the bottom half of the championship which is a much much bigger step up to the game down south
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...sley-1-4874105




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved