hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    McGregor gets two game ban

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Read my post again mentioned Celtic
    I know.So why were they unfortunate to play them?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I know.So why were they unfortunate to play them?
    In response to the OP talking about playing top class opposition on the way up to and including the final of course

I would also suggest that we might consider ourselves to be unfortunate to be drawn against Celtic in the quarter final but at least it is not at Hampden or Darkheid.

We just have to get on with it hopefully we do not do a The Rangers and knock them out to do someone else a favour

Oh! 2-1 down with ten minutes to go there was nothing easy about it!
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 13-02-2019 at 06:59 PM.

From the moment they beat Celtic I thought that our chances in the final were no worse than 50/50 provided we got a fair crack of the whip from the referee.And so it turned out

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    From the moment they beat Celtic I thought that our chances in the final were no worse than 50/50 provided we got a fair crack of the whip from the referee.And so it turned out
    Never in doubt!

I am just glad we were there

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    As soon as Halliday goal went in, The pessimist in me came to light, I turned to my dad and said “that’s a cup final winning goal”

I’m happy Sir David Gray proved me wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    I know nobody here likes talking about that day , but I just had a conversation about that day with a couple of guys at work. During the chat one of them had suggested we didn't play any top teams on the way to winning the cup. They other guy suggested that they were all top flight teams except Raith. I had said that rangers weren't, but he argued that they had already been promoted by the time the game was played. I couldn't decide if he was right.

So is he right? Were they technically a top flight team when we played them? Or is there a specific day when the promoted and relegated teams actually move?
    The record has to be put straight here on the assertion we didn’t beat any (at the time) top teams.

I’ll give you Raith. But remember they finished one place below us in the League and we had to defeat them in the first ofthe play offs that season, so they were no mugs.

Hertz. A Premiership side who were having one of their best top flight seasons for many a year off the back of being promoted the season before. Much as it goes against the grain to say it, they were a “top” side at the time. Just couldn’t handle our never say die attitude.

ICT. A Premiership side who as ever were punching above their weight and on paper could have beaten us but didn’t!!

Dundee Utd. A Premiership side who were admittedly on a downward spiral towards relegation and we all know what lack of confidence and persistent defeats does to a team (I refer to second half of 2013/2014 season!!) We didn’t beat them. I prefer to say we defeated them to be more accurate and but for a big Irish polar bear making a sensational debut, probably wouldn’t be talking about 21/5/16 today.

The Rangers. Yes, they won the Championship relatively easily but because of that we’re imo way over confident the Cup (and subsequent “unique double”) was theirs. Another big cuddly Irishman thought different and ripped Sevco a sore one that day with the MOTM of all MOTM displays that day.

So Berne, you can take these facts back to your work discussion and show them, regardless of their football persuasions, that the Hibees won the cup fair and square having been dealt the cards they were given.

GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    The record has to be put straight here on the assertion we didn’t beat any (at the time) top teams.

I’ll give you Raith. But remember they finished one place below us in the League and we had to defeat them in the first ofthe play offs that season, so they were no mugs.

Hertz. A Premiership side who were having one of their best top flight seasons for many a year off the back of being promoted the season before. Much as it goes against the grain to say it, they were a “top” side at the time. Just couldn’t handle our never say die attitude.

ICT. A Premiership side who as ever were punching above their weight and on paper could have beaten us but didn’t!!

Dundee Utd. A Premiership side who were admittedly on a downward spiral towards relegation and we all know what lack of confidence and persistent defeats does to a team (I refer to second half of 2013/2014 season!!) We didn’t beat them. I prefer to say we defeated them to be more accurate and but for a big Irish polar bear making a sensational debut, probably wouldn’t be talking about 21/5/16 today.

The Rangers. Yes, they won the Championship relatively easily but because of that we’re imo way over confident the Cup (and subsequent “unique double”) was theirs. Another big cuddly Irishman thought different and ripped Sevco a sore one that day with the MOTM of all MOTM displays that day.

So Berne, you can take these facts back to your work discussion and show them, regardless of their football persuasions, that the Hibees won the cup fair and square having been dealt the cards they were given.

GGTTH

GGTTH
    These are all great facts which are all correct and beyond question.

But I prefer the emotional approach. Hibs won the Scottish Cup - for the first time in 114 years - ending the biggest hoodo in world sport- with a last minute goal- against the most bigoted corrupt dirtbags imaginable.

And it was ****ing brilliant!!!

Goodnight

And please don’t ever forget our greatest day guys and gals....
    The media will always try to play it down.....
    Only team ever to appoint a new manager
    Without any real media attention today.....
    Ceptic Europa league 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Even the EEN don’t give us credit for appointing a very well respected football coach....
    None of us know how it’ll pan out....
    But I’m 100% behind the new coaching team🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Quote Originally Posted by Iain Neilson View Post
    And please don’t ever forget our greatest day guys and gals....
    The media will always try to play it down.....
    Only team ever to appoint a new manager
    Without any real media attention today.....
    Ceptic Europa league 🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Even the EEN don’t give us credit for appointing a very well respected football coach....
    None of us know how it’ll pan out....
    But I’m 100% behind the new coaching team🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬
    Respectfully, is there something wrong with your keyboard?

GGTTH
    Love this - I think of it as a never-to-be-repeated fairytale where the winners:
    (R3) beat the "Lucky Omen" team, Raith Rovers (who had a 6 year record of going out to the eventual winners)
    (R4) beat Derby Rivals after being 0-2 at 80mins (Hearts fans chanting "Stubbsy", the lot)
    (R5) beat the holders
    (Semi) The Polar Bear's out-of-shape but heroic debut & Cummings' 2 penalties - one horrible Panenka and one that got us into the Final
    (Final) - 1-0 early, 1-1 HT, 1-2 and dreading it, 2-2, and 90+2...

The greatest cup run ever known

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    These are all great facts which are all correct and beyond question.

But I prefer the emotional approach. Hibs won the Scottish Cup - for the first time in 114 years - ending the biggest hoodo in world sport- with a last minute goal- against the most bigoted corrupt dirtbags imaginable.

And it was ****ing brilliant!!!

Goodnight
    Absolutely agree.
    I’ve written the emotional version elsewhere on the forum.
    Have never gret, bubbled and cried as much at a football match.
    A day never to be forgotten. “A moment in time” as someone said.
    GGTTH

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Love this - I think of it as a never-to-be-repeated fairytale where the winners:
    (R3) beat the "Lucky Omen" team, Raith Rovers (who had a 6 year record of going out to the eventual winners)
    (R4) beat Derby Rivals after being 0-2 at 80mins (Hearts fans chanting "Stubbsy", the lot)
    (R5) beat the holders
    (Semi) The Polar Bear's out-of-shape but heroic debut & Cummings' 2 penalties - one horrible Panenka and one that got us into the Final
    (Final) - 1-0 early, 1-1 HT, 1-2 and dreading it, 2-2, and 90+2...

The greatest cup run ever known
    You missed the part where a lifelong Hibby (Daz) scored his first-ever goal for the club ... which just happened to be Hibs' 1,000th goal in the Scottish Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    You missed the part where a lifelong Hibby (Daz) scored his first-ever goal for the club ... which just happened to be Hibs' 1,000th goal in the Scottish Cup.
    Round 4 - the first goal being scored by a Hearts reject and the equaliser by a life long Hibs fan, then the Hearts reject scoring the only goal in the replay.

Round 5 - beat the holders in a replay at a ground where we had a poor record and only days after losing the League Cup final to a last minute goal.

There is a fantastic narrative for the entire cup run.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.