hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Deleted threads

Deleted threads

I've put this in the main forum as it applies all over. When a thread is deleted, or indeed a poster is binned is it the call of one admin or a joint decision by more than one admin? I've been a member and admin of plenty sites, not only football, and have never seen such heavy handed admin before.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Pass the popcorn.......

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pass the popcorn.......
    Yep, let's see peoples views.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Have you read the cesspits like followfollow and the Aberdeen forums?

I think the admins do an excellent job balancing debate, rooting out trolls and trying to keep the place family friendly.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post

I think the admins do an excellent job balancing debate, rooting out trolls and trying to keep the place family friendly.
    Yes well whataboutery is becoming more common these days but let's just talk about Hibs.net eh!

"Heavy handed" admin is one of the principle reasons this site has managed to stay somewhat readable (even the HG mostly!) There were some admin<>member personality clash issues in the dim and distant but I don't think they're a thing now.

I echo these comments. There's a balance to be struck and the admins here have it pretty much spot on.

Seems pretty fair to me, you even get warnings here (I’ve had a few!) some places will just ban you outright.

Quote Originally Posted by OldEast View Post
    Yes well whataboutery is becoming more common these days but let's just talk about Hibs.net eh!
    Someone is spoiling for a wee fight methinks.

Any last words?

@hibs.net private member
    I think the folk do a good job of maintaining this site, its theirs, its their rules

Ive had a wrap or two over the knuckles, I deserved it though and I moved on

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post

"Heavy handed" admin is one of the principle reasons this site has managed to stay somewhat readable (even the HG mostly!) There were some admin<>member personality clash issues in the dim and distant but I don't think they're a thing now.
    Readable for the easily annoyed or permanently offended? Why can't folks just ignore and move on? Compare this to real life. If you're in a bar and someone is spouting pish, you engage or ignore. Or do you complain to the barman somebody is annoying you?

I wouldn't call that whataboutery. It is examples of what the site could deteriorate into if it wasn't moderated so well.

Plus, you referenced other sites (albeit not by name) in your OP. I wouldn't call that whataboutery either but by your standard it was.
    Last edited by 007; 19-01-2023 at 10:46 AM.

Readable for the easily annoyed or permanently offended? Why can't folks just ignore and move on? Compare this to real life. If you're in a bar and someone is spouting pish, you engage or ignore. Or do you complain to the barman somebody is annoying you?
    If you're in a bar you can move. If the pish spouter followed you round and spouted over every conversation, you'd do something.

Talking about Hibs.net is precisely what he was doing though.

Looking down the 25 or so threads on the front page,

1 has been locked (it was bumped after a number of weeks)

And 1 has been deleted. I didn't see it, so I've no idea.

I'd imagine less threads would get deleted if folk would just check and see that they aren't being discussed elsewhere.

I suppose if you don't like it, you could either volunteer to admin, or use another site?

It's not whataboutery, its a comparison.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Someone is spoiling for a wee fight methinks.
    Nope, genuine question

Nope, genuine question
    What are you wanting to achieve here?

Genuine question.

Sir Alex Ferguson

@hibs.net private member
    If you're in a bar you can move. If the pish spouter followed you round and spouted over every conversation, you'd do something.
    I would grass him to the bar person

Signed, L Wallace

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

Agree with this, the admins do a decent job of keeping the standards higher than quite a few other football sites I've seen.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

What are you wanting to achieve here?

Genuine question.
    Thanks. I just feel this site is a bit quick to shut down discussion if a thread is deemed too negative by a majority of members. As I said I've been a member of and admin of many other forums where threads are allowed to reach a natural conclusion.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    It’s been a while since I had a warning actually. I need to up my game.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Thanks. I just feel this site is a bit quick to shut down discussion if a thread is deemed too negative by a majority of members. As I said I've been a member of and admin of many other forums where threads are allowed to reach a natural conclusion.
    Give us a recent example please.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    “Permanently offended”

You’ve literally started a thread to greet about a thread/post being deleted on an internet message board. Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    “Permanently offended”

You’ve literally started a thread to greet about a thread/post being deleted on an internet message board. Get a life.
    No, maybe try to analyse what's actually been said. Not A post or thread but many. It seems to happen a lot here and I'm just wondering why admin here feel the need

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Give us a recent example please.
    Oh come on. You know as well as I do there's loafs of threads and posts deleted.

To answer the original question no one is banned on the whim of one admin. A thread or post may be deleted if someone spies something they don't like but that can always be reversed if there is a collective feeling someone has called it wrong. Warning are occasionally giving by an individual because they don't have any real impact in the short term. A ban would always be discussed and in the vast majority of cases it's not a decision taken lightly. You get the odd person who is just so obviously a Hearts fan on the wind up or the like that they go without a second thought. In the vast majority of cases it's something discussed over a period of time and usually done with a heavy heart after repeated warnings and infractions.

It's far from whataboutery to compare here to other sites either. The forum is largely meant to be family friendly albeit that gets stretched a fair bit on occasion. Sites like AFC Chat are barely readable because of the language and content (I'm far from easily offended btw) and are now largely populated by absolute bams. As a site we are still busy, there is still decent debate to be found and for the most part it remains courteous because people know if it strays too far from that then it will be dealt with.

I always come back to the same point when these threads come up. People view the site and it confirms their own prejudices or preconceptions a lot of the time. There are people who still firmly believe we are in the clubs pocket, stamp out any dissent from the club line and actively manipulate opinion to be supportive of the club. A 5 minute perusal of the boards tells you that is nonsense but they believe it anyway because it's what they want to believe. The flip side is the people who believe we are a site wholly populated by **** stirring Hearts fans and serial moaners who want the club to fail. That is also evidently nonsense but it's also what people want to believe.

The admin team has evolved a lot over time albeit there is a core who have been around a long time now. I've seen about 8-10 people come and go in the 2 spells I have done it. I've often argued that as time marches on the forum platform will come to a natural end. People increasingly seem to want the short, snappiness that Twitter offers where it is easier to ignore challenge to a viewpoint. When the day comes and the lights are turned out on this place for the last time I think I'll look back with a fair bit of pride of what we achieved down the years tbh.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years