hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flo and Sparky

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Flo just needs a goal or two. He’s a very good striker.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not total nonsense. The Lewis Allan part is, but for me Shaw is a better all round player than Flo. That's just my opinion, I'm sure many will disagree.

I think Shaw is good player for his age, but I can't agree with that comparison.

Kamberi definitely has his flaws, though. The main one for me is that he can't seem to control a pass very well. Put the ball in front of him to run onto and he scores some fantastic goals (e.g. the one at Celtc Park). However, most teams have the sense to close him down, hence the rarity of those types of goals.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Kamberi was fine yesterday (apart from not scoring).

Get the sense regardless of how he plays the rest of the season people can't wait to jump on his back.
    Bit like you with Whittaker.

Oh and why 'Sparky'?

McNulty certainly adding quality, good addition who will work well with both Kamberi & Shaw
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Oh and why 'Sparky'?

His name is Mark, presumably it grew from there "marky" -> "sparky" - certainly thats what he calls himself and is part of his twitter handle @sparkymcnulty

I am in the Flo camp. He's been used and abused as a target man all season, he's a great striker in the right team with the right service.

Its not a case of Flo v Oli v Sparky. Its a case of getting the front men the balls they need to shine. Horgan was showing signs of doing that yesterday and Slivka is settling in to a key role.

It might be off the wall but how about , against Hamilton we play a front three of Flo, Sparky and Oli?

@hibs.net private member H18S NX's Avatar
    I like Kamberi but his first touch and control is way off,maybe he is trying too hard i don't know,but hopefully it will come.

Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Bit like you with Whittaker.
    My main gripe with Whittaker is because he's not good enough to play for a club that wants to challenge for Europe. There isnt any malice about it i just think he isnt good enough anymore. People are jumping all over kamberi because they're assuming he was the reason Lennon left and they clearly value Lennon higher than the club/players. I take it you're one of them.
    Last edited by we are hibs; 10-02-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Flo is short of confidence, it's blindingly obvious, but still played some nice football. Appleton seems like the sort of character to return him to his best and I can't wait.
    He looked desperate to score, a couple of times he could have squared it to Sparky who had relative tap ins. Hopefully you're right and the new man gets the best out of him. There's a player in there somewhere for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    I thought flo was atrocious for most of the game

He did however, work his bollocks off so I can accept a poor game

Keeps working and the rewards will come

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wasn't even close to atrocious.

First Team Breakthrough Seekyit's Avatar
    I thought Kamberi did ok yesterday. As the game went on there were signs he and McNulty might work well together, so yes, looks promising.

@hibs.net private member
    I think saying Kamberi was atrocious is a bit harsh. He definitely looked short on confidence and perhaps took the extra touch when a more confident player wouldn’t have needed that. He is still having to deal with hoof balls up to him, and while he is great with dealing with these at times, he is much better with ball to feet as demonstrated a few times yesterday...

What I found disappointing yesterday was taking McNulty off when he and Flo were just starting to click... I see good things coming between those two up two.

How long do we go with the 'lost confidence' excuse, no matter who the player is?

Its turned into as big a .net myth as being 'injury prone'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    How long do we go with the 'lost confidence' excuse, no matter who the player is?

Its turned into as big a .net myth as being 'injury prone'.
    Confidence is a huge thing in any player, especially a striker when the onus is effectively on you to score and win games. Look at the Aberdeen boy Cosgrove for example?, couldn't hit the side of a barn door initially now he can't stop scoring. Flo will come good and score regularly like every good striker does.

@hibs.net private member Gettin' Auld's Avatar
    For whatever reason, Flo's confidence looks shot to bits. Playing through it might help or alternatively just destroy whatever confidence he has left. He's desperate to score, so snatches at shots and makes the wrong decisions, which affects his confidence even more. That also leads to more yellow cards as his frustration boils over.

He probably needs rested for a few weeks to ease the pressure and give him the chance to get his mojo back. I know we don't exactly have a lot of strikers to choose from, but playing McNulty and Oli isn't exactly scraping the barrel. On current form they're possibly the best option anyway.

There's a sports physchologist available at East Mains, isn't there? I remember reading about Sean Mackie (i think it was) making use of that.

Flo on fire is an excellent striker, but he's certainly not on fire just now. Playing him constantly isn't helping him any, so we need to try something different.

He's still young, so he needs helped instead of having more pressure piled on him weekly. He's clearly a laddie who's very much a confidence player and at the moment he's low on that. Looks like he's in need of an arm around the shoulder and a rest, rather than constant boots up the arse, as Lennon regularly did publicly. Neither wonder his confidence is low.....

Left by mutual consent!
    I actually thought he was trying too hard at times to get involved due to the lack of creativity. Plenty times he was in space he got overlooked for a pop at goal from Mallan and Horgan.

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Sorry but kamberi is a much better footballer than shaw, he is just going through a rut at the moment
    No, that’s actually your opinion.

If Shaw was playing like Kamberi... 2 goals in 17 games he’d be getting hounded even more IMHO because for some reason people have always been looking to write him off.

No doubt Kamberi shows nice flashes from time to time but it has been his continual failure to do the basics pretty much all season that have drawn the ire of some fans.

I would say Shaw and Kamberi both have enough about them to be good SPL strikers and there little to choose between them... but Shaw has been by far the better recently... and is a good bit younger.

It’s actually good to see a player being defended but some of the excuses made for Flo are verging on comical.
    Last edited by Shrekko; 10-02-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Kamberi was garbage yesterday but at least he’s trying again.

I’m sure he’ll come good as long as he keeps up the effort.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    His name is Mark, presumably it grew from there "marky" -> "sparky" - certainly thats what he calls himself and is part of his twitter handle @sparkymcnulty
    Mark Hughes was called sparky.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

OK, cheers.

I thought for a minute that a certain former Hibs striker had returned.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    No, that’s actually your opinion.

If Shaw was playing like Kamberi... 2 goals in 17 games he’d be getting hounded even more IMHO because for some reason people have always been looking to write him off.

No doubt Kamberi shows nice flashes from time to time but it has been his continual failure to do the basics pretty much all season that have drawn the ire of some fans.

I would say Shaw and Kamberi both have enough about them to be good SPL strikers and there little to choose between them... but Shaw has been by far the better recently... and is a good bit younger.

It’s actually good to see a player being defended but some of the excuses made for Flo are verging on comical.
    Well seeing as kamberi plays more than shaw it's clearly not just my opinion, but that of coaches who are far more qualified than you or i

Well seeing as kamberi plays more than shaw it's clearly not just my opinion, but that of coaches who are far more qualified than you or i
    Ok- noted. Interesting theory seeing as half the arguments on here are about players who regularly get picked...

Could be that Oli is being bled in gradually as a young player or is that too simple?

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Ok- noted. Interesting theory seeing as half the arguments on here are about players who regularly get picked...

Could be that Oli is being bled in gradually as a young player or is that too simple?
    Quite possibly, but I'm sure there was talk of him going on loan to partick not so long ago so clearly wasnt part of Lennon's plans, obviously Lennon getting punted changed all that so we will never know, I think if we had more strikers in last summer then he would have been out on loan. Decent young striker though
    Last edited by Allant1981; 10-02-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Too simple. Oli needs a summer bulking up in the gym.

Quite possibly, but I'm sure there was talk of him going on loan to partick not so long ago so clearly wasnt part of Lennon's plans, obviously Lennon getting punted changed all that so we will never know, I think if we had more strikers in last summer then he would have been out on loan. Decent young striker though
    Aye, he only played 45 times under Lennon, definitely not in his plans.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    Didn't look like he needed that when he changed the game against St Mirren.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbyfraelibby View Post
    A Hibs.net myth in the making here. Don’t think he’ll ever be physical but can handle himself ok... at least when he takes a ball into feet he generally hold it up and finds a Hibs man...

He’s bang on target for double figures in his first full season .. that’ll do me.

That is all just subject to opinion. Let's look at the fact.

Oli Shaw
    1008 Minutes played 168 minutes per goal
    Shots on target 62%
    Goals 6
    Assists 3

Flo Kamberi
    1715 Minutes played 343 minutes per goal
    Shots on target 41%
    Goals 5
    Assists 3

So I'm curious. What is it that Flo does better than Oli? I'm not bashing either, I just think Oli gives us more.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    OK, cheers.

I thought for a minute that a certain former Hibs striker had returned.
    I was almost in stauner territory. There's only wan Hibs Sparky
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875