hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Appleton

Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Richard Gordon on Sportsound yesterday suggesting Hibs fans wont be overly excited by this appointment. Querying why we are looking down south for someone?! He seemed to be suggesting it was a very strange appointment, like the guy was totally unknown.

For someone who has been an assistant manager in EPL, and will have coached top players at that level, and from what I’ve read about Appleton, I’m excited about his appointment.
    Probably why Richard Gordon is a broadcaster and not a chief exec of a football club

2. Log in to remove the advert

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/m...-manager.1836/ here’s the link to the thread on the Oxford forum if anyone’s interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    Going against the grain here but I don't mind Richard Gordon.
    Most pundits in Scotland are p*****.

Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post
    https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/m...-manager.1836/ here’s the link to the thread on the Oxford forum if anyone’s interested

If anyone gives it a good read, it’s quite surprising some of the comments and references made by what so far would appear to be a minority of their support towards us. Typical hun pish giving it the spoon burners and junkies patter, laughable. Nice to know how well thought of we are even away down there.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    If anyone gives it a good read, it’s quite surprising some of the comments and references made by what so far would appear to be a minority of their support towards us. Typical hun pish giving it the spoon burners and junkies patter, laughable. Nice to know how well thought of we are even away down there.

Their ignorance of Scottish football is pretty frustrating too.

Be interesting to know the last time these guys watched a Scottish game to form that opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Their ignorance of Scottish football is pretty frustrating too.

Be interesting to know the last time these guys watched a Scottish game to form that opinion.
    One of the posts had me in stitches where on the prospect of playing each other next season in a pre season friendly they should most likely win at least 5-0 as Scottish football is quote “dire” except from the old firm who would be “lucky to make championship at least”

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Conference North and South teams probably think they're better than us.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by angus hibby View Post
    Richard Gordon on Sportsound yesterday suggesting Hibs fans wont be overly excited by this appointment. Querying why we are looking down south for someone?! He seemed to be suggesting it was a very strange appointment, like the guy was totally unknown.

For someone who has been an assistant manager in EPL, and will have coached top players at that level, and from what I’ve read about Appleton, I’m excited about his appointment.
    Was he discussing this with a couple of “out of work” ex Scottish footballers? Gordon is a lickspittle of the highest degree

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

Cheers for that.

The more I read about MA the more I’m warming to the idea of him being appointed, I think I’ll now be a bit disappointed if we end up giving it to someone else. The one recurring theme with the Oxford fans was we need them give him some time to get in the type of players he wants and to implement his style of play. Top 6 this season would be nice, but if we have to write off this season to allow him the summer to really get going I’m prepared to do that.

One of the posts had me in stitches where on the prospect of playing each other next season in a pre season friendly they should most likely win at least 5-0 as Scottish football is quote “dire” except from the old firm who would be “lucky to make championship at least”

Europe this year we knocked out a Greek top 4 or 5 side. Celtic knocked out their Norwegian equivalent, the Huns had a number of great results and Aberdeen drew over two legs with Burnley.

But aye, they’d pump us 5 nil and Celtc would be league one standard 😂

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Today was their 5th defeat in a row.....they are not on the best of form at the mo.
    Bit harsh considering who their last 3 games have been against

Europe this year we knocked out a Greek top 4 or 5 side. Celtic knocked out their Norwegian equivalent, the Huns had a number of great results and Aberdeen drew over two legs with Burnley.

But aye, they’d pump us 5 nil and Celtc would be league one standard
    Exactly mate. Kinda hope we do play them now

Richard Gordon was pretty much saying exactly what we were once the shortlist had been put together. Before Appleton became favourite, there wasn't exactly many on here blown away with excitement at the English lower league candidates...

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Richard Gordon was pretty much saying exactly what we were once the shortlist had been put together. Before Appleton became favourite, there wasn't exactly many on here blown away with excitement at the English lower league candidates...
    Aye but he’s paid to be an expert (stop laughing at the back), it took me about half an hour to do some digging about and realise the circumstances behind his previous jobs and how highly he is rated at the clubs he’s been at recently.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Did I hear Alan Preston taking about Heckingbottom on Sportsound just after 2pm yesterday?
    Impression I got from him, is he had lunch with Heckingbottom last week, but he thought Appleton was getting the job, due to a call from Sit Alex, which he said that would swing it

Glad Preston has nothing to do with who’s the Hibs manager, if this is what I thought I heard. Anyone else hear it, or have a I picked it up wrong?

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Aye but he’s paid to be an expert (stop laughing at the back), it took me about half an hour to do some digging about and realise the circumstances behind his previous jobs and how highly he is rated at the clubs he’s been at recently.
    Precisely.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Did I hear Alan Preston taking about Heckingbottom on Sportsound just after 2pm yesterday?
    Impression I got from him, is he had lunch with Heckingbottom last week, but he thought Appleton was getting the job, due to a call from Sit Alex, which he said that would swing it

Glad Preston has nothing to do with who’s the Hibs manager, if this is what I thought I heard. Anyone else hear it, or have a I picked it up wrong?
    You heard it all correctly.

However, to be fair to the fat Hun, he also said we should trust Dempster, her last 2 appointments have been pretty good.

He's also paid to put across a fan's point of view and then let the guests do the talking.

Appleton is exactly the type of manager we should be going for, and if it's him then I'm very excited.

I wanted Hibs to cast a wide net, keep an open mind, interview people and go for someone on merit over reputation.

Richard Gordon knows f all. He sits in a studio with disgruntled coaches who get nowhere in the game, the type of coach who thinks that just because you've once been on the books of Rangers or Celtic, played for Airdrie 200 times and freed players for not being big enough are simply entitled to jobs when they come along. Of course Richard Gordon is going to say that.

If it is Appleton though then we'll need to be patient. This season's league is a write-off and he needs backed in the summer to bring his own players in. And by his own player that means a strong core of players on decent length contracts who are a decent age, not a batch of loan signings who will only be here for a few months and elder statements who are here for a short while as their careers fizzle out.

First Team Regular EastCalderHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Aberdeen and Rangers in their next two as well.
    then us up in perth

Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    He's also paid to put across a fan's point of view and then let the guests do the talking.
    That’s probably where we disagree.

It’s not his job to be ignorant and hope someone corrects him.

I would expect him to say something like “some Hibs fans may have reservations however the reason the board are considering him are because of x,y and z”

Tbf I never heard that interview so he might have down that, the pundits I heard talking about him were Bonner and Smith and the best they could come up with was we’d only be interested in him because he’ll know of players down south people up here hadn’t heard of. Going by this thread I’m assuming Gordon’s punditry was of a similar quality.

Blog Entries
    Richard Gordon is a cheerleader for the Scottish football Mafia. It sounds like we could be getting a good one in MA, and a breath of fresh air at that.

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07

Watched the clip of oxfords goals while he was manager on that link, L1 keepers and defending is brutal!!! Sure I spotted Logan and he looked even bigger than when he was with us!!

To be fair, there appears to be one cretin with hun sympathies and the rest seem sound.

Most folk I know who support lower league English clubs actually have a mild interest and a bit of respect for Scottish football and especially those clubs who aren't Rangers and Celtic.

The problem with "the English" full stop is that they have such a noisy, ignorant ******** minority it makes you think they're all like that, when in fact they really aren't. Very few are.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    To be fair, there appears to be one cretin with hun sympathies and the rest seem sound.

Most folk I know who support lower league English clubs actually have a mild interest and a bit of respect for Scottish football and especially those clubs who aren't Rangers and Celtic.

The problem with "the English" full stop is that they have such a noisy, ignorant ******** minority it makes you think they're all like that, when in fact they really aren't. Very few are.
    Pretty much same experiences myself.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

nah mate its well over half
    if it was 52/48 uk-wide in favour of trashing my 2 kids' chances of studying, living & working abroad, and you factor in northern ireland was 56/44 and then Scotland (62/38) it looks like 55% capable of being red white & blued by anything you want to plaster on the side of a bus down there..

That’s probably where we disagree.

It’s not his job to be ignorant and hope someone corrects him.

I would expect him to say something like “some Hibs fans may have reservations however the reason the board are considering him are because of x,y and z”

Tbf I never heard that interview so he might have down that, the pundits I heard talking about him were Bonner and Smith and the best they could come up with was we’d only be interested in him because he’ll know of players down south people up here hadn’t heard of. Going by this thread I’m assuming Gordon’s punditry was of a similar quality.
    Only bit I heard was him saying Hibs seem to be looking in England for some reason, and that it wouldn’t get the Hibs fans excited. To be fair to him, he did add that we will have done our homework and he (Appleton) has obviously come across well.

And we Scots are all Angels

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    And we Scots are all Angels
    Especially the sevconians.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I'm quite excited about Appleton. I think he'll do a good job.
    Strangely so am I