hibs.net Messageboard

View Poll Results: Who should be the new Hibs manager?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Appleton

105 73.43%
  • Paul Heckingbottom

38 26.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

Appleton or Heckingbottom?

Looks like it's between these two - who would be your pick?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Maybe add a neither option

Left by mutual consent!
    None 🙈

First Team Breakthrough muzzhfc's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: muzz-a-bear
    Hibees 3 the rangers 2 as the other option?

Testimonial Due
    Meh. Hope I’m pleasantly surprised though.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Yes, need a 'Neither' option.

Where is the "other" button? MSM aren't to be believed in much and who would be surprised if LD pulled a rabbit out of a hat?

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    it's like trying to choose between a punch to the teeth of a swift boot to the stones, would rather have neither tbh

Quote Originally Posted by CraigHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it's like trying to choose between a punch to the teeth of a swift boot to the stones, would rather have neither tbh
    Or a Stubbs and a Mowbray.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i can't seem to find the 'neither' or 'Neil Lennon' options

@hibs.net private member
    For those saying neither.... what are your suggestions?

This place is toxic right now, the negativity of some 'fans' is actually sickening!

I hope one of these two get the joba nd turn things around, then i will wait to see a lot of grovelling folk singing "only 1 appleton/heckingbottom"!!!
    Last edited by BlackSheep; 07-02-2019 at 12:44 PM.

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    or how about a "haven't a clue" option

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post

This place is toxic right now, the negativity of some 'fans' is actually sickening!

I hope one of these two get the joba nd turn things around, then i will wait to see a lot of grovelling folk singing "only 1 appleton/heckingbottom"!!!
    No negativity from me - I'm simply pointing out that just because the media are putting these two forward doesn't mean it will be......

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Appleton just shades it for me. Both could be promising appointments and a return to the model we worked with under Stubbs.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Not sure the club has thought this through. How the ****** are we supposed to work Heckingbottom into a chant or song? Appleton isn't much of a scanner either.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    Not sure the club has thought this through. How the ****** are we supposed to work Heckingbottom into a chant or song? Appleton isn't much of a scanner either.

Heckingbottom's Green and White Army scans well, Appleton less so. On that basis, let's go for Heckingbottom.

@hibs.net private member
    Don't mean to sound negative but imo the calibre of the man who has left the job is immensely superior to either of those two.
    With a reported 100 or so applicants for the post I would've expected a high calibre short list - apparently not.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    No negativity from me - I'm simply pointing out that just because the media are putting these two forward doesn't mean it will be......
    So why put anything? There were two choices it asked which you would prefer.

I don’t know much about either (and was dead against Appleton) but reading interviews and looking at recent clubs I now favour Appleton. Held in high regard from what I’ve read and think his approach will suit us.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post

“Hecking - bottom’s - Green and White Amy” works reasonably well.

For hounding out purposes “Appleton Must Go” fits better than Heckingbottom.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Don't mean to sound negative but imo the calibre of the man who has left the job is immensely superior to either of those two.
    With a reported 100 or so applicants for the post I would've expected a high calibre short list - apparently not.
    And would you expect LD to share that short list with the media?

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Am I the only one who thinks "There's only one Hecking Bottom!" sounds a bit dubious?

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    Lennon’s gone and he’s been pretty poor over the past few months. What’s your idea of a high caliber? Strachan the highest profile and he doesn’t seem interested. Out of the applicants we don’t know who’s applied so can’t really judge.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar

It sounds like Strachan could be an option from what he has said, and Steve Clarke is the obvious target, albeit the chances of getting him may be remote. Tommy Craig and Stephen Robinson have done well with smaller Clubs.

I really don't see what Heckingbottom and Appleton have on their CV to merit being frontrunners. We need an appointment to unite the fans, many who feel we have just lost an outstanding Manager in unknown circumstances. I would love to be proven wrong but I don't see either of these 2 candidates doing it; at best, either would be a very risky appointment at a time we need strong leadership.

Don't disagree that there is an element of the toxic negativity on here right now but the neither response is actually ok.

Appointment of a manager is different from signing a player in that you sign many players and a signing that doesn't work out can always be dropped to the bench.
    Signing a manager is something which I think it's far more natural to say "not for me" when discussing it.
    As long as they get behind the new manager when he's in.

I also don't see an issue with being won over by how they actually do - many were unimpressed by NL but won round by some good performances and results.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm sure we'll hear in due course, just concerned it seems to be between Heckingbottom and Appleton.

Not over the Moon about either Time will tell if this is accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Appleton for me.

I listened to both their podcasts and think they both came across well but Appleton’s reputation as being a great coach that the players will really like shades it. Imo I think after Lennon we need to go for someone that the players will enjoy working with and I think that’ll be the case with him.

On a side note disappointing to see so many smart arse replies on this thread, it’s a pretty clear poll, out of the two, who would you prefer? If the answer is neither, or another choice there’s plenty other threads for that.

Interesting to see how many people are writing them off based on their Wikipedia page rather than looking into the actual history of what happened at each club.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    It sounds like Strachan could be an option from what he has said, and Steve Clarke is the obvious target, albeit the chances of getting him may be remote. Tommy Craig and Stephen Robinson have done well with smaller Clubs.

I really don't see what Heckingbottom and Appleton have on their CV to merit being frontrunners. We need an appointment to unite the fans, many who feel we have just lost an outstanding Manager in unknown circumstances. I would love to be proven wrong but I don't see either of these 2 candidates doing it; at best, either would be a very risky appointment at a time we need strong leadership.
    Wins will unite the fans, appointing a popular manager that everyone has heard of would be lazy and once the novelty had worn off we’d be back to square one pretty quickly.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Appleton for me.

I listened to both their podcasts and think they both came across well but Appleton’s reputation as being a great coach that the players will really like shades it. Imo I think after Lennon we need to go for someone that the players will enjoy working with and I think that’ll be the case with him.

On a side note disappointing to see so many smart arse replies on this thread, it’s a pretty clear poll, out of the two, who would you prefer? If the answer is neither, or another choice there’s plenty other threads for that.

Interesting to see how many people are writing them off based on their Wikipedia page rather than looking into the actual history of what happened at each club.
    Apparently we want a manager with "ambition", which in this case seems to mean "always moaning about not having enough money, threatening to resign all the time and shouting at the players after every game". Sign me up!