hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to the report below Glasgow is currently £6.50 for a 2 mile journey and Edinburgh £6.35. Glasgow has had 2 fare increases in the past 18 months so if Edinburgh is due a rise as you suggest then it will make a journey more expensive in Edinburgh very shortly.

If the fare increase is 10% or more then it will make Edinburgh about the same as East Lothian and the most expensive place in Scotland to hire a cab.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...for-fare-rise/
    Yes it’s based on a 2 mile journey. The fare increase here won’t be anywhere near 10% it will be a small increase. You also have to factor in that Glasgow has a party tariff for the weekend where fares increase to a level much higher than Edinburgh, the meter at these times starts at £5.70 compared to Edinburgh at £3.60.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Meanwhile Uber still haven’t increased in nearly 4 years.
    Uber increase their fares every week when it’s busy. I took a couple from the west end to clermiston on Saturday, the fare was £12, Uber were charging £28.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Yes it’s based on a 2 mile journey. The fare increase here won’t be anywhere near 10% it will be a small increase. You also have to factor in that Glasgow has a party tariff for the weekend where fares increase to a level much higher than Edinburgh, the meter at these times starts at £5.70 compared to Edinburgh at £3.60.
    Edinburgh also has a higher cost of living so I'd agree taxi drivers here are probably due a rise. My fear for your trade is that Uber will ultimately take over , I hope it doesn't as I will always use black cabs over Uber personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Edinburgh also has a higher cost of living so I'd agree taxi drivers here are probably due a rise. My fear for your trade is that Uber will ultimately take over , I hope it doesn't as I will always use black cabs over Uber personally.
    Uber taking over is definitely a possibility, but it wouldn’t be good for the city as once they’re in control the amount they charge will be completely unregulated.

United we stand here....

Uber increase their fares every week when it’s busy. I took a couple from the west end to clermiston on Saturday, the fare was £12, Uber were charging £28.
    Obviously a busy time regular Uber fare would have been about £7 seemed busy at the weekend as I couldn’t get one must be all the students coming back.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I use Uber a lot when I'm over in California. The service there is exceptional, and there are a lot of drivers (as it's an easy way to top up income in a place as expensive as the Bay Area). I've yet to have a bad experience over there using Uber.

However, I do so with the understanding that the cheap price is due to Uber not valuing their employees properly, with many working in pretty **** conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I use Uber a lot when I'm over in California. The service there is exceptional, and there are a lot of drivers (as it's an easy way to top up income in a place as expensive as the Bay Area). I've yet to have a bad experience over there using Uber.

However, I do so with the understanding that the cheap price is due to Uber not valuing their employees properly, with many working in pretty **** conditions.
    Your not an employee your self employed.

I’ve said earlier in the thread I wouldn’t want to rely on it as a source of income but some do ok out of it.

I do it occasionally and it’s pretty good fun for the time I do it the flexibility makes it great for me just log on and away you go.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Your not an employee your self employed.

I’ve said earlier in the thread I wouldn’t want to rely on it as a source of income but some do ok out of it.

I do it occasionally and it’s pretty good fun for the time I do it the flexibility makes it great for me just log on and away you go.
    Isn't that the problem? Certainly in California, the drivers have no rights to any kind of medical insurance etc despite being affiliated to a registered company.

I'm comparing the UK system to the American system here, which isn't fair as I don't use Uber here in the UK (not on any moral stance - I just don't have a need for taxis here) - but there's been a massive furore in California by both Uber and Lyft drivers who aren't eligible for many of the state benefits of minimum wage, overtime pay etc because they're viewed not as employees but as external contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Isn't that the problem? Certainly in California, the drivers have no rights to any kind of medical insurance etc despite being affiliated to a registered company.

I'm comparing the UK system to the American system here, which isn't fair as I don't use Uber here in the UK (not on any moral stance - I just don't have a need for taxis here) - but there's been a massive furore in California by both Uber and Lyft drivers who aren't eligible for many of the state benefits of minimum wage, overtime pay etc because they're viewed not as employees but as external contractors.
    I found them pretty upfront about it all. There are some benefits here I’d you drive regularly (accident cover, paternity pay etc) but the end of the day I also run my own other business and get nothing either.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I know this doesn't scan across, but I just had a 17 mile Uber journey to Rio airport which took 55 minutes in rush hour traffic.

It cost less than £10.20.

My standard taxi journey to my hotel a week ago took 30 minutes and cost £27.

I feel guilty recommending Uber because I have friends who drive black cabs, but it's a great service to use when abroad.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I regularly use Uber and I’ve never saw a fare be anything like that in comparison to a taxi. That would literally be at least a 3x surge based on the black cab price. In about 100 Uber trips I’ve never even seen it at 2x.

I’m not doubting you that it possibly happened but that’ll next to never happen to most people.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I regularly use Uber and I’ve never saw a fare be anything like that in comparison to a taxi. That would literally be at least a 3x surge based on the black cab price. In about 100 Uber trips I’ve never even seen it at 2x.

I’m not doubting you that it possibly happened but that’ll next to never happen to most people.
    At Uber rates probably more like 4x surge.

it can go up to that at times, depends how desperate you want to get home it tells you the price so don't accept it and try a few minutes later it can change very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I know this doesn't scan across, but I just had a 17 mile Uber journey to Rio airport which took 55 minutes in rush hour traffic.

It cost less than £10.20.

My standard taxi journey to my hotel a week ago took 30 minutes and cost £27.

I feel guilty recommending Uber because I have friends who drive black cabs, but it's a great service to use when abroad.
    Might be great if you want a guy out working for next to nothing just so you can save a few quid. It can't be sustainable for someone to get paid very little, buy and maintain a vehicle. The airport might even take a fair whack of his part of the fare just for dropping off.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Might be great if you want a guy out working for next to nothing just so you can save a few quid. It can't be sustainable for someone to get paid very little, buy and maintain a vehicle. The airport might even take a fair whack of his part of the fare just for dropping off.
    Surely if it’s not a sustainable lifestyle they could look at alternative jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    When they've got a clapped out car and not enough money to replace it they'll have to.

It might be ok for a short term sideline but not a full time job.

Spot on. The drivers are taking the hit here and are forced to work longer and longer hours to earn a living whilst Uber gets the cream.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Yep the multinational conglomerates and billionaire investors are raking it in whilst the drivers are forcing themselves to work longer hours to make living wage.

Support the local businesses or save yourself a few quid and make the super rich richer?

Course when local businesses evaporate I'm sure Uber will still be cheap.....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Gamer IDs

I'm sure places like Rio are just swimming in spare jobs.

According to Google unemployment rate is 12.7% so perhaps they do it as theres not a lot else.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I'm sure places like Rio are just swimming in spare jobs.

According to Google unemployment rate is 12.7% so perhaps they do it as theres not a lot else.
    Are we now debating specifics like the unemployment rate in Rio? If so I’ll leave you to it. I merely responded to a post talking about a job no longer being sustainable, asking the question whether in that scenario it was time for the hypothetical individual to look at a potential career change.

Gamer IDs

Are we now debating specifics like the unemployment rate in Rio? If so I’ll leave you to it. I merely responded to a post talking about a job no longer being sustainable, asking the question whether in that scenario it was time for the hypothetical individual to look at a potential career change.
    You made a point. I responded to it.

Isnt that the whole point of discussions?

Radge's post above says the fare was a tenner for an hour of that guys day. Take the cost of Ubers slice, fuel, airport (if they charge) tax (assuming he pays it).....

How much of that £10 do you think the driver actually made?

I'd bet you're lucky if its half.

Gamer IDs

I see the California legislature have now passed Assembly Bill 5, meaning the gig economy workers in the state will now receive the benefits they've long been campaigning for:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49659775

Great news for them.

You made a point. I responded to it.

Isnt that the whole point of discussions?

Radge's post above says the fare was a tenner for an hour of that guys day. Take the cost of Ubers slice, fuel, airport (if they charge) tax (assuming he pays it).....

How much of that £10 do you think the driver actually made?

I'd bet you're lucky if its half.
    The minimum wage in Brazil is less than £8 per day.

The average wage is about £15.

8 trips like mine would earn him £80 or, using your calculation, a net £40.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

So hes raking it in then

So hes raking it in then
    Exactly

The Uber app suggests giving the driver a tip after every journey and offers 3 suggested amounts.

This time they were BRL 2 BRL 3 and BRL 5.

1 BRL = £0.20

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I was always anti Uber due to my views on Travis Kalanick. Now he’s away I have used them, and find it convenient; however I was put out when a recent job, with the driver showing as 2 minutes away, was cancelled without reason. I had to wait about 15 minutes for another driver to come. And their surge pricing, while I understand the laws of supply and demand, is not something I like.

Looking at the cost of living there no wonder there's so much poverty. A lot of the prices are comparable to here. If you have millions of people earning next to nothing it certainly brings the average down.

Looking at the cost of living there no wonder there's so much poverty. A lot of the prices are comparable to here. If you have millions of people earning next to nothing it certainly brings the average down.
    I found it inexpensive, but there is enormous poverty which is why crime rates are high.

These indices suggest that the UK has a much more expensive cost of living.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...United+Kingdom

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Yep the multinational conglomerates and billionaire investors are raking it in whilst the drivers are forcing themselves to work longer hours to make living wage.

Support the local businesses or save yourself a few quid and make the super rich richer?

Course when local businesses evaporate I'm sure Uber will still be cheap.....
    And when the local businesses evaporate and Uber are the only one left and (apparently) set their prices through the roof.. someone will come along and do to Uber what Uber will apparently do to the local businesses.

Let's not pretend that the end game here is that Uber are going to make it unaffordable to get from A to B. It's not going to happen. They've been around 10 years or so and taxi drivers have been telling us the whole time that is what's going to happen yet they're still massively cheaper than black cabs.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 11-09-2019 at 04:42 PM.

I found it inexpensive, but there is enormous poverty which is why crime rates are high.

These indices suggest that the UK has a much more expensive cost of living.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...United+Kingdom
    I looked at the cost of a car and fuel which weren't much different to here. I don't suppose many uber drivers will have mortgages with nearly 10% interest rates to worry about.

I looked at the cost of a car and fuel which weren't much different to here. I don't suppose many uber drivers will have mortgages with nearly 10% interest rates to worry about.

Uber works well in many countries where there is either very little regulated cab industry or none at all, also as has been said where the cost of living is fairly low and the Uber guy gets a decent/good living out of it, also take into consideration the cost of living in these countries.

In countries like here or in mainland Europe where there is a fully regulated taxi industry the Uber driver will be on bare minimum, that is until they all realise that if they sign off during the busy times they can get the surge up to 3x plus and earn ridiculous amounts on unsuspecting drunken students,young folk who click away on the app without realising they are getting ripped off. Starts of cheap to get you in then up goes the prices, normal practice for these guys.

Edinburgh has lagged behind fare wise due to a poor council who are becoming increasingly anti taxi trade, forcing perfectly good taxi's off the road due to age and forcing the owners into buying vehicles at a price of around £54K. We are also seeing more conflict between taxi drivers and PHC drivers, PHC sitting on ranks and then becoming aggressive when asked to move, PHC picking up illegally on the streets at the weekend and we even had PHC from Glasgow, Cambridge, Durham etc up here working during the Festival with the police and cab office doing nothing about it, lawless Edinburgh.