hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Me neither, but I suppose it makes sense if the passenger changes their mind.

I'm not sure what justification there is for allowing the driver to do it, through.
    Driver can do it also sometimes use it when people can’t work out the multiple drop offs. If the driver changes it it will flag on the customers phone also.

Uber will end up refunding it the good thing with them it’s all logged on the systems.
    Nice fare though!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Driver can do it also sometimes use it when people can’t work out the multiple drop offs. If the driver changes it it will flag on the customers phone also.

Uber will end up refunding it the good thing with them it’s all logged on the systems.
    Nice fare though!
    No sure they will refund. Looks like they're trying to say he changed it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    There are chancers and criminals everywhere and incidents like these do a lot of harm to Uber's reputation.

There must be millions of incident free Uber journeys in the UK every year (Uber has 75 million users worldwide), but you can't blame black cab drivers for highlighting the failures.

I've used both traditional taxis and Uber in cities around the world and it seems to me that there's a place for both.

Interestingly, in Rio last month, the official advice was to use Uber as it was safer due to the records kept centrally.

If there were enough taxis on the road, Uber wouldn't be able to use surge, but there's not. I'm not sure how you square that circle.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 13-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    No sure they will refund. Looks like they're trying to say he changed it.
    I'd be very surprised if Uber would defend a driver who was basically kidnapping his customers.

I also find it hard to believe that a driver would do that in the first place. What if the passenger wakes up after 5 minutes.

Bonkers, the whole thing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    There are chancers and criminals everywhere and incidents like these do a lot of harm to Uber's reputation.

There must be millions of incident free Uber journeys in the UK every year (Uber has 75 million users worldwide), but you can't blame black cab drivers for highlighting the failures.

I've used both traditional taxis and Uber in cities around the world and it seems to me that there's a place for both.

Interestingly, in Rio last month, the official advice was to use Uber as it was safer due to the records kept centrally.

If there were enough taxis on the road, Uber wouldn't be able to use surge, but there's not. I'm not sure how you square that circle.
    The hostility between the taxis and PHC seems to getting worse, there’s bad on both sides but drivers need to calm down or something serious is going to happen.

There are some groups just set on stirring up trouble.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I read today that Uber have been banned in London again. 14000 rides were taken with unlicensed/uninsured drivers. Apparently it’s possible to upload your photo to someone else’s account. It’s really pissing me off that this company is being allowed to circumvent the rules while I have to do everything by the book. Before anyone takes this as a rant against Uber from a black cab driver, it’s not. The genie is out of the bottle now and if Uber left another company would take there place, I just don’t think it’s fair that the playing field is far from level.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I read today that Uber have been banned in London again. 14000 rides were taken with unlicensed/uninsured drivers. Apparently it’s possible to upload your photo to someone else’s account. It’s really pissing me off that this company is being allowed to circumvent the rules while I have to do everything by the book. Before anyone takes this as a rant against Uber from a black cab driver, it’s not. The genie is out of the bottle now and if Uber left another company would take there place, I just don’t think it’s fair that the playing field is far from level.
    Nothing much will change, they'll appeal the decision promise to get their act together and carry on regardless.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    And if that's happening in London you can guarantee it's going on in Edinburgh and Glasgow too.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Nothing much will change, they'll appeal the decision promise to get their act together and carry on regardless.
    I think you’re right.

United we stand here....

And if that's happening in London you can guarantee it's going on in Edinburgh and Glasgow too.
    Probably, it’s out of order they’re able to do this. You wouldn’t see a taxi driver letting someone else drive their taxi.

United we stand here....

You can guarantee that it's going on everywhere. 14000 hires in London and many more they don't know about or will admit to.

@hibs.net private member
    The day a sat nav is better at navigating around Edinburgh than me is the day I pack it in. I use the get taxi app and the routes it suggests are laughable.
    Good to see this. I rarely use taxis but the other day I arranged a PHC to the airport, as i was coming back by train, so it didn't make sense to use the airport car park.

Seeing the driver use satnav to get to the airport was not at all encouraging, and his satnav took him some weird way to get there. I know the route well, as I frequently drive it. If I have one overriding concern with the growth of PHC and Uber more generally, it is with the de-professionalisation of the role of the taxi driver. If that's a word, that is.

I drive for Uber no idea what happens in London but in Edinburgh we all play by the same rules set by the council here and as you know that’s pretty strict.

As for using the Uber app think the issue with changing details was fixed years ago you cannot change names or pictures.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Deciding on Black Cab, Private Hire or Uber is like going to the supermarket and having the choice of Premium, Normal or Value labelled goods. You get what you pay for and pick what you can afford.

I prefer Black Cabs and Tesco’s finest myself, each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Deciding on Black Cab, Private Hire or Uber is like going to the supermarket and having the choice of Premium, Normal or Value labelled goods. You get what you pay for and pick what you can afford.

If your happy paying double the price then that’s your choice.

Like it or not Uber just works. Everything controlled from your phone with no physical money changing hands, use it all around the world with no language issues and turning up within minutes and fully trackable.

Times have changed.

Like it or not Uber just works. Everything controlled from your phone with no physical money changing hands, use it all around the world with no language issues and turning up within minutes and fully trackable.

Times have changed.
    Using it around the world is when I use it, I tend not to use taxis in this country.

I was in Durban earlier this year. The regular taxi drivers were unreliable to say the least.

Uber cars had to be under 3 years old and in perfect condition. If the driver was was given 4/5 as a marking he was given a warning any less than that they were sacked!
    Space to let

Times have changed.
    I tried Uber they let me down twice, I'll stick to a taxi I can rely on even if it is more expensive, you certainly get what you pay for, that has never changed with time.

Have already pre booked my black cab for Christmas Day too, safe in the knowledge it will turn up on time just like previous years.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 26-11-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Times have changed.
    They have changed and Uber isn’t the only company offering the service you describe, all the taxi companies offer the same. The difference is a black cab driver will know where he’s going and there isn’t a surge. I doubt Uber is half the price either considering they’ve just put their fares up by 20%.

United we stand here....

I tried Uber they let me down twice, I'll stick to a taxi I can rely on even if it is more expensive, you certainly get what you pay for, that has never changed with time.

Have already pre booked my black cab for Christmas Day too, safe in the knowledge it will turn up on time just like previous years.
    I've got major reservations about Uber, but my experience of their timeousness and reliability is much better than in comparison to black cabs, albeit based on a smaller sample size.

I've been let down twice by black cabs in the past 6 months, which is 100% of the times I've pre-booked one. Each occasion was for a time-critical journey for which I was then late. I've had other similar experiences in recent years.

As much as it's still annoying, at least you're informed when your Uber isn't going to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I've got major reservations about Uber, but my experience of their timeousness and reliability is much better than in comparison to black cabs, albeit based on a smaller sample size.

I've been let down twice by black cabs in the past 6 months, which is 100% of the times I've pre-booked one. Each occasion was for a time-critical journey for which I was then late. I've had other similar experiences in recent years.

As much as it's still annoying, at least you're informed when your Uber isn't going to show up.
    I can only go by my own experiences, 100% success with pre booked black cabs and 100% failure with Uber only tried them twice.
    My black cab better turn up on Christmas Day now! 😁

They have changed and Uber isn’t the only company offering the service you describe, all the taxi companies offer the same. The difference is a black cab driver will know where he’s going and there isn’t a surge. I doubt Uber is half the price either considering they’ve just put their fares up by 20%.

But none work anywhere as well as Uber Gett is a waste of time when it’s busy you never get anything.

Like I said it’s just works well you know when it’s coming and how much it’s going to be with plenty warning if it’s a surge(which has been changed) the 20% only applies at certain times first increase in 4 years.

Like it or not Uber is here to stay, even in London they have been operating since 2012 50k cars and 3.5 million customers they will get the licence extended again.

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar

I'm a waitrose man myself....must go.... Limousine is waiting.😁🙄
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

Left by mutual consent!
    I have just spent 10 days in Las Vegas and I used Uber and another company called Lyft. I have to say it was well priced allowed us to visit a few off strip places at an excellent price and so for me I think its excellent. I also used it in London just the other week on return and again found it excellent.

IMO if the company go about there business correctly I would say the system is safer than hailing a cab. As the driver the car and customer all will leave a digital trace of pickup driver and car.

Left by mutual consent!

Not actually true I found some of the interest is seeing what vehicle you will get, USA yes was interesting and on one occasion we got a Dodge Ram 1500. I get a private hire here it will be a Skoda Octavia 99% of time. Ubers here I have had BMWs Mercs all sorts so IMO excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Not actually true I found some of the interest is seeing what vehicle you will get, USA yes was interesting and on one occasion we got a Dodge Ram 1500. I get a private hire here it will be a Skoda Octavia 99% of time. Ubers here I have had BMWs Mercs all sorts so IMO excellent.
    The fact that it could have been a BMW or a Merc that let me down doesn’t excite me I’m afraid.

I can only go by my own experiences, 100% success with pre booked black cabs and 100% failure with Uber only tried them twice.
    My black cab better turn up on Christmas Day now! 😁
    If it does, send me the number.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Did a £4 journey in a Model S the other day which would have cost me £8 in a black cab. In my experience Uber drivers are also much friendlier, although it's all bit of a charade due to the rating system.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Very rarely use private hires but use both black cabs and uber. Can't say there is much between the service and price can go either way depending on how busy it is.

Uber obviously has the benefit of being ready to use in different cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I have just spent 10 days in Las Vegas and I used Uber and another company called Lyft. I have to say it was well priced allowed us to visit a few off strip places at an excellent price and so for me I think its excellent. I also used it in London just the other week on return and again found it excellent.

IMO if the company go about there business correctly I would say the system is safer than hailing a cab. As the driver the car and customer all will leave a digital trace of pickup driver and car.
    If you’re last sentence was correct there wouldn’t be any concern about the safety of using Uber and London wouldn’t be refusing to grant them a license. Leaving a digital trace is no good to you if youve just been raped or murdered. That goes for any form of taxi not just Uber, the vast majority of black cabs hailed are from companies with a pda that track each job and the rest can be tracked via their mobile phone.
    I really hate all this utter **** that’s put out by people who haven’t got a clue how things work. The difference between Uber and black cabs is that black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers and Uber drivers aren’t. Uber are cheaper so that’s the balance that the customer makes. Ill informed opinions on safety do nothing to progress the debate.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 26-11-2019 at 10:55 PM.

United we stand here....

If you’re last sentence was correct there wouldn’t be any concern about the safety of using Uber and London wouldn’t be refusing to grant them a license. Leaving a digital trace is no good to you if youve just been raped or murdered. That goes for any form of taxi not just Uber, the vast majority of black cabs hailed are from companies with a pda that track each job and the rest can be tracked via their mobile phone.
    I really hate all this utter **** that’s put out by people who haven’t got a clue how things work. The difference between Uber and black cabs is that black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers and Uber drivers aren’t. Uber are cheaper so that’s the balance that the customer makes. Ill informed opinions on safety do nothing to progress the debate.
    Its much easier to get that tracking data from a taxi firm than from Uber. Especially when you need it for an official reason.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk