hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Return flights to Bergamo - £30
    Return taxi to airport from Drum Brae - £30/

Still wouldn't use uber or the taliban taxi's as I believe the black cab driver's call them.
    You're going to the big fire.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If something’s too good to be true, it usually is. Or in Uber’s case, the convenience and cheapness comes at a cost in other areas.

Once corrective action is finalised, you won’t see Uber for dust and they’ll simply operate in countries who’s rules regarding workers rights are a little more ‘relaxed’.

It’s a shame as a happy medium would benefit everyone.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If something’s too good to be true, it usually is. Or in Uber’s case, the convenience and cheapness comes at a cost in other areas.

Once corrective action is finalised, you won’t see Uber for dust and they’ll simply operate in countries who’s rules regarding workers rights are a little more ‘relaxed’.

I don’t think anyone has described Uber as “too good to be true”, just some people believe they can be better than using black cabs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    You're going to the big fire.
    The apostrophe fire of doom

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Why are people comparing the price of a taxi with the basic price of a flight? Budget airlines are more comparable to a bus, no?

Can anybody tell me how much of the fare Uber creams off in this country? I've read about them taking 60-70% of minimum price hires in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Can anybody tell me how much of the fare Uber creams off in this country? I've read about them taking 60-70% of minimum price hires in some places.
    25%

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

You could be right, and although I hope it doesn't happen, it looks to me like black cabs are more likely to disappear than Uber.

And remember, if we leave the EU, there won't be many countries with more relaxed workers than the UK.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    25%
    Is that regardless of fare? I've read they take $2 and percentage of $4 minimum fares in US, can't see them settling for 80 odd pence on £3.50 minimum Edinburgh fare.
    I certainly wouldn't have been in business for very long paying booking office 25% of all the hires I got when driving a taxi and even less if they take as much as i've read about.

Is that regardless of fare? I've read they take $2 and percentage of $4 minimum fares in US, can't see them settling for 80 odd pence on £3.50 minimum Edinburgh fare.
    I certainly wouldn't have been in business for very long paying booking office 25% of all the hires I got when driving a taxi and even less if they take as much as i've read about.
    Yes doesn’t matter what the fare is the £3.50 fare you get 2.62.

The base fare need to be higher Uber works great for me as I only do it for 2-3 months through winter made a lot of money in December much quieter since although it’s picking up now.

Not sure I’d want to make a living full time from it.

The base fare need to be higher Uber works great for me as I only do it for 2-3 months through winter made a lot of money in December much quieter since although it’s picking up now.

All very good if you want to "make" a few quid on a Saturday night. Takes a lot of £2.62's just to pay the council for your licences and remember you're competing against guys who are trying to earn a full time wage with full time overheads.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar

Thank you for your service.

All very good if you want to "make" a few quid on a Saturday night. Takes a lot of £2.62's just to pay the council for your licences and remember you're competing against guys who are trying to earn a full time wage with full time overheads.
    You only probably do 2-3 a day at that price but it’s a 5 minute job been out since 6.30 this morning averaged £20 an hour home now might go out again later.

It’s good fun for me I put all the money aside and it pays for the summer holiday only got the car for another couple of weeks then back to my business.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Thank you for your service.
    Your welcome!

You only probably do 2-3 a day at that price but it’s a 5 minute job been out since 6.30 this morning averaged £20 an hour home now might go out again later.

It’s good fun for me I put all the money aside and it pays for the summer holiday only got the car for another couple of weeks then back to my business.
    Luckily you won't have to bother about replacing your vehicle and offering sudsidised travel for much longer.
    I just don't see how their business is sustainable, everything has to be paid for eventually.

Left by mutual consent!
    Most taxi drivers are toiling these days. The costs involved in either renting/buying a taxi are just ridiculous.
    The added cost of belonging to a radio cab company are just as ridiculous.
    You also have to remember that the tariffs are set by Edinburgh Council and not the taxi company or drivers.
    A lot of drivers are what they call jockeys and only rent the cab from the owners. The rentals are way over priced. Some as much as £300 pw. Add the cost of fuel to that and all the other stuff that comes with being self employed you start to get a picture of why the costs are so high.
    My point, it’s not the drivers fault.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Most taxi drivers are toiling these days. The costs involved in either renting/buying a taxi are just ridiculous.
    The added cost of belonging to a radio cab company are just as ridiculous.
    You also have to remember that the tariffs are set by Edinburgh Council and not the taxi company or drivers.
    A lot of drivers are what they call jockeys and only rent the cab from the owners. The rentals are way over priced. Some as much as £300 pw. Add the cost of fuel to that and all the other stuff that comes with being self employed you start to get a picture of why the costs are so high.
    My point, it’s not the drivers fault.
    Plenty of cabbies not toiling at all and making a good living out of it, they are working long hours though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Plenty of cabbies not toiling at all and making a good living out of it, they are working long hours though.
    Most of them need to work long hours to make a living. It’s one of them jobs, if you were to only work a normal working week.....say 35-40hours pw, then if you were to average it out over a year, you’d be lucky if they made minimum wage.

Most of them need to work long hours to make a living. It’s one of them jobs, if you were to only work a normal working week.....say 35-40hours pw, then if you were to average it out over a year, you’d be lucky if they made minimum wage.
    A lot depends on what times you work and where. My mate does fine, chases the work, flight times etc, good concierge contacts, positioning. Never find him sitting on a rank. Experience is invaluable.

Not going to turn much of a profit working 40 hours per week.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I make a decent living but you need to put the hours in and the early months of the year can be tedious.

What's decent for me might be rubbish for others though.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Reading this thread I’ve noticed a lot of people saying taxis are cheaper in Glasgow, they’re not anymore. Edinburgh is 66th in the table of UK fares with Glasgow around 30th. Edinburgh comes in the top 10 for every measure of cost of living there is, yet taxi fares are 66th. People will go out shopping or drinking and happily pay the over inflated Edinburgh prices, but complain about the taxi fare that is underpriced. There will be a rise in fares shortly as the independent company that deals with this recognises the disparity that exists.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    I’ve never complained about the cost of a taxi. Not that I use them much these days but when I do, it’s usually because I want to get to were I want to go ( usually home half pissed ) safely and as quick as possible. I know taxi drivers are grafters and don’t have an easy job, so they are worth every penny and a nice wee tip. Usually get a great wee bit of banter for free anaw

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve never complained about the cost of a taxi. Not that I use them much these days but when I do, it’s usually because I want to get to were I want to go ( usually home half pissed ) safely and as quick as possible. I know taxi drivers are grafters and don’t have an easy job, so they are worth every penny and a nice wee tip. Usually get a great wee bit of banter for free anaw
    Your support is very much appreciated mate.

United we stand here....

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Very true.

I've never understood why folk give cabbies grief, for me they are my white knight taking me home, if you are going to moan then make other arrangements to get home!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

My Black Cab app is well used, I very much appreciate the service I receive from taxi drivers, even if most of them recently have been Jambos!

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Reading this thread I’ve noticed a lot of people saying taxis are cheaper in Glasgow, they’re not anymore. Edinburgh is 66th in the table of UK fares with Glasgow around 30th. Edinburgh comes in the top 10 for every measure of cost of living there is, yet taxi fares are 66th. People will go out shopping or drinking and happily pay the over inflated Edinburgh prices, but complain about the taxi fare that is underpriced. There will be a rise in fares shortly as the independent company that deals with this recognises the disparity that exists.
    Is that based on the total cost of the fare paid or the actual charges? If it's based on the fare paid Glasgow is likely to be higher as it's a far larger city so trips are likely to be longer resulting in a higher charge.

If you take the exact same length of journey in both Edinburgh and Glasgow which is cheaper? In my experience Glasgow taxis are far cheaper, though it has been around 2 years since I've been in a Glasgow cab so may have changed.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 09-09-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    According to the report below Glasgow is currently £6.50 for a 2 mile journey and Edinburgh £6.35. Glasgow has had 2 fare increases in the past 18 months so if Edinburgh is due a rise as you suggest then it will make a journey more expensive in Edinburgh very shortly.

If the fare increase is 10% or more then it will make Edinburgh about the same as East Lothian and the most expensive place in Scotland to hire a cab.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news...for-fare-rise/
    Last edited by Since90+2; 09-09-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Meanwhile Uber still haven’t increased in nearly 4 years.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Meanwhile Uber still haven’t increased in nearly 4 years.
    I always use Uber. Got numerous Uber’s in Glasgow at the weekend and they were about £4 or so every time. And two of them were in a 5 series BMW. I know how I’d prefer to travel.