hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you’re last sentence was correct there wouldn’t be any concern about the safety of using Uber and London wouldn’t be refusing to grant them a license. Leaving a digital trace is no good to you if youve just been raped or murdered. That goes for any form of taxi not just Uber, the vast majority of black cabs hailed are from companies with a pda that track each job and the rest can be tracked via their mobile phone.
    I really hate all this utter **** that’s put out by people who haven’t got a clue how things work. The difference between Uber and black cabs is that black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers and Uber drivers aren’t. Uber are cheaper so that’s the balance that the customer makes. Ill informed opinions on safety do nothing to progress the debate.
    They have license in loads of places. Nothing helps you if you been murdered but put it this way every uber I used until can be proved otherwise I have name Reg times of every driver used. When we arrived back in Scotland we just got a black cab outside station. I have no idea drivers name Reg and paid in cash.

I'm not having a go at taxis I just do not think Uber is bad and can only go on my experience and to add nor have I had a bad experience in a black cab.

Nothing I'll informed about it all my journeys are right here with driver and car. As it stands I want to go from A to B Uber track it and I have record of it they get me from A to B.

So you state black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers fair enough. Take out tracking apps etc that what does this mean for my basic A to B vs Uber.

Better driving.
    Less chance of accident.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 28-11-2019 at 01:45 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    They have license in loads of places. Nothing helps you if you been murdered but put it this way every uber I used until can be proved otherwise I have name Reg times of every driver used. When we arrived back in Scotland we just got a black cab outside station. I have no idea drivers name Reg and paid in cash.

I'm not having a go at taxis I just do not think Uber is bad and can only go on my experience and to add nor have I had a bad experience in a black cab.

Nothing I'll informed about it all my journeys are right here with driver and car. As it stands I want to go from A to B Uber track it and I have record of it they get me from A to B.

So you state black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers fair enough. Take out tracking apps etc that what does this mean for my basic A to B vs Uber.

Better driving.
    Less chance of accident.
    Times have changed. I’m not disputing black cabs are not safe and professional but people are using Uber because it’s simple,cheap, reliable and works great.

its the go to mode of transport for the youngsters and many tourists and now seeing much more big businesses using it for employee transport because of the coverage around the world.

I’ve got no idea how much it has affected the black cabs in Edinburgh but going by the constant seething that evident maybe it has I think they just need to accept Uber or however is here and accept the competition.

i only drive with Uber occasionally but every time I go back it seems like it’s busier than before the kids and student than use it are now getting their parents to use it, more and more business are using it for contracts and tourists use it for getting around as it’s so simple.

I would reckon they will get the licence sorted in London.business leaders are recommending they do yes there are issues that appear to need addressed but it’s not just about that this is also political.

Left by mutual consent!
    Uber from Muirhouse to Gorgie Road, Dalry end (don't ask), quoting £9 - 12. A black cab is about £12.

Then I look at the route, and they go by Clermiston Road, instead of Murrayfield Avenue.

That, friends is why using Private Hire in any form is a false economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    Uber from Muirhouse to Gorgie Road, Dalry end (don't ask), quoting £9 - 12. A black cab is about £12.

Then I look at the route, and they go by Clermiston Road, instead of Murrayfield Avenue.

I think you might need to increase your sample size before making statements like that.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I’m a big fan of uber, but they ****ed me over yesterday.

Ordered an Uber from longstone to murrayfield, it says it’d be 14 mins, when it was close I went outside. Waited. Waited longer. Then all of a sudden the driver cancelled.

It was gonna be 10 mins for another one.

Plus, I got charged a £4 cancellation fee! It’s been refunded...but only as an Uber credit on my account.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I’m a big fan of uber, but they ****ed me over yesterday.

Ordered an Uber from longstone to murrayfield, it says it’d be 14 mins, when it was close I went outside. Waited. Waited longer. Then all of a sudden the driver cancelled.

It was gonna be 10 mins for another one.

Plus, I got charged a £4 cancellation fee! It’s been refunded...but only as an Uber credit on my account.
    Similar to my two and only attempts to use Uber, 100% failure rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post

Tell them to go the route you want. Uber app uses traffic monitoring so direct is always the quickest.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Coming back from the airport tonight, I checked the Uber app and they were quoting £14-18, but wanted to charge me £18 at the point of ordering. We walked over to the taxi rank, waited a minute and a taxi came along. It cost £17 something. I know Uber trips are cheaper sometimes, but not always.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    Coming back from the airport tonight, I checked the Uber app and they were quoting £14-18, but wanted to charge me £18 at the point of ordering. We walked over to the taxi rank, waited a minute and a taxi came along. It cost £17 something. I know Uber trips are cheaper sometimes, but not always.
    Are you sure it was asking you to pay at the point of ordering? As someone who has used probably around a hundred Uber’s I’ve never once had to do that.

I’ve had to get two black cabs from my house to the airport and back for work recently. £22 on the way our, £27 on the way back. Got an Uber on Friday cause I was going on holiday and it was £14.50. All the journeys were on weekdays at roughly the same time (different weekdays mind you but I doubt that’ll make much odds).

Also, if there’s any NHS staff on here you can sign up for either 2 x £10 Uber rides for free or 2 x £10 vouchers for Uber eats to use over Xmas
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 09-12-2019 at 11:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Uber increase their fares every week when it’s busy. I took a couple from the west end to clermiston on Saturday, the fare was £12, Uber were charging £28.

Did you forget to turn the meter on until you were going up the clery hill??
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

It doesn’t actually charge you think it’s like a pre authorisation it does it with me with Apple Pay but does the final amount as normal.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    It was Apple Pay I was going to use. I’ve used Uber a couple of times previously and didn’t get asked for payment until the end, so if they’ve changed it to request pre authorisation they could make it clear that that’s what it’s doing.

I think Uber in unclear in a few ways, the payment issue being one. There is limited detail in the help, and lack of accountability - it seems that a driver can cancel a job at will, without explanation.

It was Apple Pay I was going to use. I’ve used Uber a couple of times previously and didn’t get asked for payment until the end, so if they’ve changed it to request pre authorisation they could make it clear that that’s what it’s doing.

I think Uber in unclear in a few ways, the payment issue being one. There is limited detail in the help, and lack of accountability - it seems that a driver can cancel a job at will, without explanation.
    They do that because they see the price of the job after it's been given to them,they then wait till the prices get surged before accepting them again,bit of a con.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    They do that because they see the price of the job after it's been given to them,they then wait till the prices get surged before accepting them again,bit of a con.
    While that sounds possible, are you sure it actually happens?

I use Uber every so often (I prefer to walk or take the bus if possible) and don't think I've ever had a fare cancelled despite there usually not being any notable surge on (if there was I wouldn't use them at that point).
    Mon the Hibs.

Nope that’s not correct.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    While that sounds possible, are you sure it actually happens?

I use Uber every so often (I prefer to walk or take the bus if possible) and don't think I've ever had a fare cancelled despite there usually not being any notable surge on (if there was I wouldn't use them at that point).
    A driver was telling us how he picked up some tourists who had been let down by Uber, the driver had cancelled the job quoted at £7 into town, they went to rebook and the fare quoted was £22.

A driver was telling us how he picked up some tourists who had been let down by Uber, the driver had cancelled the job quoted at £7 into town, they went to rebook and the fare quoted was £22.
    The chances the same driver getting that job again would be pretty slim so pointless.

the most common reason for cancelling is traffic not the fare.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    The chances the same driver getting that job again would be pretty slim so pointless.

Do hires appear on a bid screen that lets you know the area they are in or do they get allocated to nearest free car?

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Do hires appear on a bid screen that lets you know the area they are in or do they get allocated to nearest free car?
    The ride gets offered to the closest car. It tells you estimated fare and approx time & distance to pick up you then choose to accept or not(you get 15 seconds to do so).

If you’ve accepted you can’t see any other jobs although you may get offered your next one before you complete as you are the closest.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

And the chances of there being a 3x surge (which as a regular user I've never even seen it at before) happen purely because of a cancelled job are also pretty slim.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    And the chances of there being a 3x surge (which as a regular user I've never even seen it at before) happen purely because of a cancelled job are also pretty slim.
    Yep the surge is based on supply & demand. Uber have recently done a price increase at peak times and along with that they have also tweaked the surge yes it still happens but it’s no longer as volatile or as high.

Theres lots of changes taking place just now most of them for the benefit of the customer but some decent ones for the driver also.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Yep the surge is based on supply & demand. Uber have recently done a price increase at peak times and along with that they have also tweaked the surge yes it still happens but it’s no longer as volatile or as high.

Theres lots of changes taking place just now most of them for the benefit of the customer but some decent ones for the driver also.
    Honestly mate you’re like an advert for Uber on here. You defend everything and make a positive argument whenever possible. If there wasn’t an issue with Uber this thread wouldn’t still be on the front page of this forum. I’m a black cab driver and I will and frequently do point out issues with our trade, but you refuse point blank to recognise the problems Uber has. To be credible you need to be objective.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Honestly mate you’re like an advert for Uber on here. You defend everything and make a positive argument whenever possible. If there wasn’t an issue with Uber this thread wouldn’t still be on the front page of this forum. I’m a black cab driver and I will and frequently do point out issues with our trade, but you refuse point blank to recognise the problems Uber has. To be credible you need to be objective.
    patch1875 works for Uber and from what I’ve seen, most of his posts have been correcting inaccuracies posted by others on how the system/app works and the pricing mechanisms. If you want an objective discussion you need to have correct information and I consider people to be much more credible if they know what they are talking about rather than simply parroting myths heard from other cabbies

Taxi drivers seem to constantly moan about Uber. At the end of the day if the service wasn't working effectively then folk wouldn't use it. It clearly does work very well hence why it's so popular.

Uber Drivers are on the whole the same as taxi drivers, working class people just trying to earn a living.