hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Uber works well in many countries where there is either very little regulated cab industry or none at all, also as has been said where the cost of living is fairly low and the Uber guy gets a decent/good living out of it, also take into consideration the cost of living in these countries.

In countries like here or in mainland Europe where there is a fully regulated taxi industry the Uber driver will be on bare minimum, that is until they all realise that if they sign off during the busy times they can get the surge up to 3x plus and earn ridiculous amounts on unsuspecting drunken students,young folk who click away on the app without realising they are getting ripped off. Starts of cheap to get you in then up goes the prices, normal practice for these guys.

Edinburgh has lagged behind fare wise due to a poor council who are becoming increasingly anti taxi trade, forcing perfectly good taxi's off the road due to age and forcing the owners into buying vehicles at a price of around £54K. We are also seeing more conflict between taxi drivers and PHC drivers, PHC sitting on ranks and then becoming aggressive when asked to move, PHC picking up illegally on the streets at the weekend and we even had PHC from Glasgow, Cambridge, Durham etc up here working during the Festival with the police and cab office doing nothing about it, lawless Edinburgh.
    What do you mean by starts off cheap then ups the prices? Once you book it you’re not going to get hit by any incoming surge. If I book an Uber with no surge and then it surges as I’m in it I’m paying what it was when I booked it, not the new 3x price (which after probably around 100 Uber’s I’m yet to actually see.. infact I’m yet to even see 2x).

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    What do you mean by starts off cheap then ups the prices? Once you book it you’re not going to get hit by any incoming surge. If I book an Uber with no surge and then it surges as I’m in it I’m paying what it was when I booked it, not the new 3x price (which after probably around 100 Uber’s I’m yet to actually see.. infact I’m yet to even see 2x).
    Start off cheap to get you using them and then the prices steadily rise. They communicate through a WhatsApp group and sign off knowing the price will surge. People are either too stupid or got more money than sense to pay £45 from city centre to the airport. They get told they're cheaper than taxis, so when they surge these same people still think that they're cheaper, they need educated.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Start off cheap to get you using them and then the prices steadily rise. They communicate through a WhatsApp group and sign off knowing the price will surge. People are either too stupid or got more money than sense to pay £45 from city centre to the airport. They get told they're cheaper than taxis, so when they surge these same people still think that they're cheaper, they need educated.
    Wasting your breath.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Wasting your breath.
    👍

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    I have to say, I've never in my life come across anybody (other black cab drivers) who even remotely cares that a black cab can get you from A to B without a sat nav.

It's the same as any other service in a capitalist society - people will shop around and pay what they think the service is worth. For me and thousands more in the city, a black cab driver managing to get me from A to B without putting a postcode into a sat nav isn't worth the extra few quid.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I have to say, I've never in my life come across anybody (other black cab drivers) who even remotely cares that a black cab can get you from A to B without a sat nav.

It's the same as any other service in a capitalist society - people will shop around and pay what they think the service is worth. For me and thousands more in the city, a black cab driver managing to get me from A to B without putting a postcode into a sat nav isn't worth the extra few quid.
    Rather have a cabbie who knows where he is going, knows about current roadworks and jams etc than a goon who follows a Sat Nav to nowhere. And yes I am talking from several experiences.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 13-09-2019 at 01:35 PM.

The nav Uber uses has traffic monitoring so routes you accordingly unless the cabbies have some special sense I’m not sure how they will know what’s up ahead.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    The nav Uber uses has traffic monitoring so routes you accordingly unless the cabbies have some special sense I’m not sure how they will know what’s up ahead.
    The day a sat nav is better at navigating around Edinburgh than me is the day I pack it in. I use the get taxi app and the routes it suggests are laughable.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The day a sat nav is better at navigating around Edinburgh than me is the day I pack it in. I use the get taxi app and the routes it suggests are laughable.
    I was gonna say the same, Gett uses Google as its satnav, its built into the app and half the time it's useless,tried to take me via Regent rd/Waterloo Pl the other day even though it's shut, it hadn't updated itself. I'd love to switch it off during a job but can't as it part of the app.

It’s not the hardest city to navigate though is it?

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I drive a lot around Scotland with work and use my iPhone as my satnav.

Apple maps always knows now what the route is like, whether there are delays, and suggests alternative routes.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Try using the google maps crap that is loaded onto the scanner i use for work. 4 out of the first 6 yesterday it wanted to take me somewhere else but being in Kilwinning it's maybe not a bad idea!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I was gonna say the same, Gett uses Google as its satnav, its built into the app and half the time it's useless,tried to take me via Regent rd/Waterloo Pl the other day even though it's shut, it hadn't updated itself. I'd love to switch it off during a job but can't as it part of the app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    Try using the google maps crap that is loaded onto the scanner i use for work. 4 out of the first 6 yesterday it wanted to take me somewhere else but being in Kilwinning it's maybe not a bad idea!
    Satnav is great if you want to get somewhere when you don’t know where you’re going, but as a tool for taxis it’s next to useless. Every passenger that gets in knows the quickest way to their house, it’s my job to also know that. I take a pride in what I do and always try my best to make the journey as short as possible. No one is perfect and mistakes will always be made, but if that happens I always say to my passenger that I’ve made a mistake and I turn the meter off and charge less than the fare would have been. It’s amazing how many customers appreciate that and give a decent tip.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    I stopped using any sort of taxi around three years ago. I simply refuse to line the pockets of drivers. Bus or night bus for me every time I need transport now. Its a no brainer.

Out with mates last weekend let down twice by Uber, it was the mate that insisted on using them, I always use Black Cabs and will continue to do so after that fiasco.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by fjosoo View Post
    I stopped using any sort of taxi around three years ago. I simply refuse to line the pockets of drivers. Bus or night bus for me every time I need transport now. Its a no brainer.
    What does that even mean? Are you refusing to go to pubs because you refuse to line the pockets of bar staff? Stopping going to fitba because you refuse to line the pockets of players? Have you just got an aversion to folk earning a wage?

Quote Originally Posted by fjosoo View Post
    What an utterly bizzare post.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    I'm not one for taxis very often these days but I used to book a cab from Livi all the 4's to take me back to West Calder from Edinburgh for around £20 when black cabs were charging around £40 which was fair enough. My son came back in the house last weekend cursing, he used Uber from Why Not nightclub which I believe is in George St to West Calder via East Calder and was charged £120, I literally ran out the house and tried to catch the chancing *****. Surely that's not the going rate these days?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bee View Post
    I'm not one for taxis very often these days but I used to book a cab from Livi all the 4's to take me back to West Calder from Edinburgh for around £20 when black cabs were charging around £40 which was fair enough. My son came back in the house last weekend cursing, he used Uber from Why Not nightclub which I believe is in George St to West Calder via East Calder and was charged £120, I literally ran out the house and tried to catch the chancing *****. Surely that's not the going rate these days?
    No, it's not the going rate.

That will have been a surge price.

Unfortunately for your son, the surge price is stated clearly before the fare is accepted. Folk who are careless or too pished to notice can end up losing out.

Sadly, I guess that applies to a lot of things on life.

Edit: The receipt on his phone should show the surge calculation, I believe.

Here's another example; https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/29/woman...place-7586667/
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 13-10-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Out with mates last weekend let down twice by Uber, it was the mate that insisted on using them, I always use Black Cabs and will continue to do so after that fiasco.
    Was it a short journey? Uber now tell the driver the destination so are knocking back the short ones of it busy.

Driver doesn’t set the price. The passenger gets told it first so it’s up to them if they accept it.

If it’s high surge wait a few mins and try again it can quickly come down.

@hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    No, it's not the going rate.

That will have been a surge price.

Unfortunately for your son, the surge price is stated clearly before the fare is accepted. Folk who are careless or too pished to notice can end up losing out.

Sadly, I guess that applies to a lot of things on life.

Edit: The receipt on his phone should show the surge calculation, I believe.

Here's another example; https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/29/woman...place-7586667/
    Driver doesn’t set the price. The passenger gets told it first so it’s up to them if they accept it.

If it’s high surge wait a few mins and try again it can quickly come down.

Thanks for clearing that up folks, so it's down to my sons lack of understanding the value of money, that'll be getting sorted out.

As a point of interest, does the Uber driver receive extra payment or does the surge charge go into the Uber coffers?

Left by mutual consent!
    I enjoy going out my way NOT to get taxis nowadays. Cheaper and easier ways to get around.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Thanks for clearing that up folks, so it's down to my sons lack of understanding the value of money, that'll be getting sorted out.

As a point of interest, does the Uber driver receive extra payment or does the surge charge go into the Uber coffers?
    Uber take a set percentage of the fare no matter surge or not.

These come up basically every Sunday morning . People think Uber is on a constant surge and ripping people off you don’t hear much when they get taken from one side of the city to another for 7 quid or the airport for £15.

Simple supply and demand pricing structure.

The drivers get it, less Uber's usual %.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Was it a short journey? Uber now tell the driver the destination so are knocking back the short ones of it busy.
    Yes both relatively short journeys.

That's beyond belief! I've no idea how that could have happened.

I imagine that the guy will be refunded and get his cash back, but how the guy thought he could get away with it is mind boggling.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    That's beyond belief! I've no idea how that could have happened.

I imagine that the guy will be refunded and get his cash back, but how the guy thought he could get away with it is mind boggling.
    So destinations can be changed after booking by either party by the looks of it.

That's not the narrative I've been reading.

So destinations can be changed after booking by either party by the looks of it.

That's not the narrative I've been reading.
    Me neither, but I suppose it makes sense if the passenger changes their mind.

I'm not sure what justification there is for allowing the driver to do it, through.