hibs.net Messageboard

South American hibs players

As the title says, does anyone have any recollection of us having South Americans play for us over the years? I remember the 2 ecuadorians, we had Claros aswell but I’m sure Honduras is classed as Central America! Me and a mate were discussing it, more about Brazilians and Argentinians and we were saying how we couldn’t remember a single player from either of those nations playing for us.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bigswissstriker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As the title says, does anyone have any recollection of us having South Americans play for us over the years? I remember the 2 ecuadorians, we had Claros aswell but I’m sure Honduras is classed as Central America! Me and a mate were discussing it, more about Brazilians and Argentinians and we were saying how we couldn’t remember a single player from either of those nations playing for us.
    The mighty Ulises!

The wee Uruguayan we got fae Gretna? Cannae mind his name.

The Tank

Fabián Yantorno

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    None can top Caralho of Hearts.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

I met De La Cruz's sister, nephew and niece in a park in Quito on way home from a kick about. The 2 kids were kitted out in the latest Hibs strip back then, so I obviously had to find out why from their mum. The kids were gobsmacked that I knew who their uncle was and chuffed that I told them the fans had great hopes of him. His 2 goals in the Derby were enough to cement his "top South American Hibs player" status for me!

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by madbadlad View Post
    I met De La Cruz's sister, nephew and niece in a park in Quito on way home from a kick about. The 2 kids were kitted out in the latest Hibs strip back then, so I obviously had to find out why from their mum. The kids were gobsmacked that I knew who their uncle was and chuffed that I told them the fans had great hopes of him. His 2 goals in the Derby were enough to cement his "top South American Hibs player" status for me!
    Great story in it's a 'very small world' sense.

I read somewhere that De La Cruz used to send a huge chunk of his earnings back home for good causes and lived a fairly modest lifestyle for a well paid footballer. Top bloke.

Ally Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post

I read somewhere that De La Cruz used to send a huge chunk of his earnings back home for good causes and lived a fairly modest lifestyle for a well paid footballer. Top bloke.
    I heard that as well.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post

A bit of a theme for players made good in the continent. Tends not to get publicised. In other sports Ayrton Senna a national hero in Brazil did lots of unpublicised work for charity.!

Not sure the extent to which the EPL players chip inon thdfacd of it doesn’t seem a huge amount.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.