hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: New passport

New passport

Looking for some advice on what's the best thing to do about renewing my passport.

The 2 options are renew now, or wait til after we leave and get one then.

Are there any advantages of renewing now? Will we be obliged to update our passports, in say 5 years, or will it run for the full 10 before needing to be renewed?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    No way will they make everyone renew their passports, I think you will be ok getting one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way will they make everyone renew their passports, I think you will be ok getting one now.

I renewed passports for my missus and me about 3 weeks ago.

I used the fairly new Passport renewal online service which includes uploading your pics taken on your phone.
    I would recommend that you try using that method as it's cheaper than using the traditional paper forms method. The online renewal has lots of good guidance tips, so was easy to use too.

Ps, our new passports arrived by registered mail, a very impressive 7 days after I applied online ;-)

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststand View Post
    I renewed passports for my missus and me about 3 weeks ago.

I used the fairly new Passport renewal online service which includes uploading your pics taken on your phone.
    I would recommend that you try using that method as it's cheaper than using the traditional paper forms method. The online renewal has lots of good guidance tips, so was easy to use too.

Ps, our new passports arrived by registered mail, a very impressive 7 days after I applied online ;-)

GGTTH
    This, likewise. We had a duff photo to begin with. Retook it with the mobile and it breezed through. Took about a week to get the new passport.

Come April 1st it wonít mean you get a blue passport as they will have stock to use up first. That fact will have Leavers enraged.

J

Thanks guys. May as well just get it done.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    I renewed mine about two weeks ago as my old one was due to expire in June. I did it online and had the new passport delivered less than a week after submitting my application. Very efficient updates via text and email as well.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    Looking for some advice on what's the best thing to do about renewing my passport.

The 2 options are renew now, or wait til after we leave and get one then.

Are there any advantages of renewing now? Will we be obliged to update our passports, in say 5 years, or will it run for the full 10 before needing to be renewed?
    The advice I got before renewing is that passports issued now will be valid for the full 10 years regardless. Advantages are that it won't be blue and will still have 'European Union' stamped on the front cover. As others have said, it took a week to arrive renewing online.

@hibs.net private member Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    No point getting one when we leave, because we'll be going straight back in again.

I have just renewed my EHIC which is "valid" until 2024. Is this legally binding? I do hope so as I enjoy my euro trips and this is a comfort that may end up being stripped from us all

@hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I have just renewed my EHIC which is "valid" until 2024. Is this legally binding? I do hope so as I enjoy my euro trips and this is a comfort that may end up being stripped from us all
    If the UK leaves on March 2019 - your EHIC validity will "almost certainly" expire ... so the answer is most probably no. You will then need to take out private insurance to cover you I think, probably

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/
    .... Die spinnen, die Briten ....

Nope. It would be invalid immediately on no deal. If deal is passed it will be valid in transition period. After that, nobody knows.

Iím eligible and have applied for an Irish passport. I doubt no deal will happen but you never know. Save any faffing about.

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm going to apply for French citizenship, something I've always maintained that I wouldn't do, unless there was either a practical or financial reason to do so.

I guess now is that time, although I'd imagine there will be thousands of Brits in France doing the same thing so it won't be quick.

Just got my Swedish Citizenship, what im more thinking is when my son comes the other way to Scotland if there will be problems with his EU passport... what a disaster

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Muchas gracias

You just prompted me to look at my own card to see when it expired... and it's a year out of date

Renewed online just now as I have one more trip before B Day. Better safe than sorry

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Just got my Swedish Citizenship, what im more thinking is when my son comes the other way to Scotland if there will be problems with his EU passport... what a disaster
    Get him a British passport as well.

Iím eligible and have applied for an Irish passport. I doubt no deal will happen but you never know. Save any faffing about.

I wish I could apply. My Nana was half Irish (her dad was Irish). I guess thatís a generation once too much removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    I wish I could apply. My Nana was half Irish (her dad was Irish). I guess thatís a generation once too much removed.
    Unfortunately yes. Has to be a grandparent.

I got my Irish passport a couple of months after the vote. I think I'm going to register my children as overseas births and get them Irish passports too.

Unfortunately yes. Has to be a grandparent.

Eligible and applying. I intend to retire to Germany and won't be able to post Brexit if it happens, not worth the risk