hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Six Nations

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Silly pen gave engerlund the advantage but we're still the real winners.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    tuned in on 74 mins only to see us blow it by giving away the penalty away back at the half-way line which led to all those phases which inevitably let them in, i feel so sad for the players as they missed out getting their names in to the history book

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye, so you were saying then?

Though we've been superb every game. Deserved it.

after the event........seriously ? you obviously didn't have much confidence in your team the last few weeks..eh, look forward to you posting tomorrow night that you knew the lottery numbers for, ermmm...tonight
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 16-03-2019 at 06:59 PM.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    tuned in on 74 mins only to see us blow it by giving away the penalty away back at the half-way line which led to all those phases which inevitably let them in, i feel so sad for the players as they missed out getting their names in to the history book
    I think it will still be one for the history books and a sensational game. From Scotland's perspective they regained their pride and retained the Calcutta Cup, despite being without key players.

I think it gives Scotland a little more hope for how far they progress in the WC. England have the depth of squad to almost play two equally strong XVs. It was some achievement by the scottish team.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Humbley pie goes well with a Leffe...or 7...

I still question some of Townsend’s decisions through this Six Nations but that was as close to a drug high and comedown that im likely to experience!!!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Humbley pie goes well with a Leffe...or 7...

I still question some of Townsend’s decisions through this Six Nations but that was as close to a drug high and comedown that im likely to experience!!!

I'm the same, I turned it off at halftime, more fool me. That's what the iPlayer is for I suppose, I'll watch it later.

Just caught the end of a interview on the radio, the fella
    said Scotland should maybe have let England score in the corner and made them kick a difficult conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I think it will still be one for the history books and a sensational game. From Scotland's perspective they regained their pride and retained the Calcutta Cup, despite being without key players.

I think it gives Scotland a little more hope for how far they progress in the WC. England have the depth of squad to almost play two equally strong XVs. It was some achievement by the scottish team.

you're right, bizarrely it's a victory snatched from scotland right at the death and i'm just not giving enough credit to the scottish team for actually getting back into the game in the first place, unfortunately it still means the next time around it will then be 38 years since the last win at twickers, it just feels like deflation to elation...to deflation again, the wait goes on, i'l have a look at the highlights later on so i can shout at the scottish player that gave away the penalty :(
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 16-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.

you're right, bizarrely it's a victory snatched from scotland right at the death and i'm just not giving enough credit to the scottish team for actually getting back into the game in the first place, unfortunately it still means the next time around it will then be 38 years since the last win at twickers, it just feels like deflation to elation...to deflation again, the wait goes on, i'l have a look at the highlights later on so i can shout at the scottish player that gave away the penalty :(
    Yep, it feels like a letdown though the rational part of me says it was a success!

I guess that's the beauty of sport. When it is at it's finest it is so complex, nuanced and rewarding.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent!
    Gatland has done fantastic at Wales.

Taken them from 10th to 2nd ranked in the world.
    Won 3 Grand Slams.
    14 consecutive test victories.

Can't wait for the World Cup

after the event........seriously ? you obviously didn't have much confidence in your team the last few weeks..eh, look forward to you posting tomorrow night that you knew the lottery numbers for, ermmm...tonight

I said last that I fancied us after the England win!

You banging on about we wouldn't do it "trust me" I'm just calling you out on your comment!

I can't say look we did it before we actually win it can I !!!!
    Last edited by nellio; 16-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Thing with the Scotland game is you had the lead and the ball with 3 mind left then you kicked it back to them! I said that was a mistake. Scotland should have kept the ball for a few minutes and killed the game off.

Thing with the Scotland game is you had the lead and the ball with 3 mind left then you kicked it back to them! I said that was a mistake. Scotland should have kept the ball for a few minutes and killed the game off.
    Tricky one. My thoughts at the time were too that they should have kept the ball and tried to run the clock down, in the knowledge that England were likely to commit fouls in their attempt to win back possession.

At the same time I can understand the temptation to get the ball down the field and then defend with a lot more yards behind them.

Stunning game regardless and something for both sides to take away and ponder.

Moral victory for me is to the Scots, given the absence of Hogg and Kinghorn. Also good to see the flair with which they took their tries and the strength they were able to dripfeed in from the bench.

England are strong though and you could probably take their strongest XV, drop them all and pick the next XV and they would have a chance of winning the Six Nations, albeit I would have Ireland and Wales ahead of them, let alone the French, for whom the word 'mercurial' was surely invented.

Fair play, good comments.

Agree about the temptation to kick it feel but id have preferred ball in hand and recycle.

Also agree about England's depth. Mind you felt the Scottish lads who came in when called upon did well.

Fair play, good comments.

Agree about the temptation to kick it feel but id have preferred ball in hand and recycle.

Also agree about England's depth. Mind you felt the Scottish lads who came in when called upon did well.
    Yeah, ball in hand was my preference.

Scotland were good from the bench. I can see the benefit of keeping those players to give us the strong finish and also understand the temptation to start them.

It's intriguing how rugby has evolved in recent years and how strategy and tactics have evolved. Unless you are the All Blacks and just pick your best XV, start them and then sub as you see fit

Roll on the world cup now. I've booked a few days off. Wales are playing the same day as Scotland on one of the days so booked that as I support both.

Left by mutual consent!
    I know the feeling Mr.Gatland

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47599026

Can anyone explain why the ref didn’t blow his whistle at 80 minutes? Is there always that much stoppage time in rugby? Or is Gregor Townsend about to get a phone call apologising from the ref?!

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Can anyone explain why the ref didn’t blow his whistle at 80 minutes? Is there always that much stoppage time in rugby? Or is Gregor Townsend about to get a phone call apologising from the ref?!
    The ball has to go dead for the ref to blow the whistle. If a penalty is conceded then the play continues so that teams can't concede a penalty just to stop the game. There would have been probably about 10 minutes of "stoppage" time in the game. The clock is stopped for a variety of reasons when play is held up, substitutions, injuries, ref having to speak to players etc

Just finished watching the Scotland game, unfortunately I already knew it had finished in a draw before I watched it, fantastic entertainment though. 🏉
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 17-03-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    The ball has to go dead for the ref to blow the whistle. If a penalty is conceded then the play continues so that teams can't concede a penalty just to stop the game. There would have been probably about 10 minutes of "stoppage" time in the game. The clock is stopped for a variety of reasons when play is held up, substitutions, injuries, ref having to speak to players etc
    Cheers!

Still gutted with the draw!

Quote Originally Posted by BS44 View Post
    Just caught the end of a interview on the radio, the fella
    said Scotland should maybe have let England score in the corner and made them kick a difficult conversion
    I suggested the same thing to my old man as a possible option, given they had penalties waiting and seemed like they would be playing til they scored. Never heard of that happening in rugger before mind.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I suggested the same thing to my old man as a possible option, given they had penalties waiting and seemed like they would be playing til they scored. Never heard of that happening in rugger before mind.
    Chances are they’d have kicked the conversion and we’d have asked why did they just let them score?

Also it’s not really in your mindset to just let someone score - surprised Peter Wright suggested it TBH.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Ive never understood this. If the clock is stopped many times during the game then surely close to 80 minutes should have been played. Isnt this extra time just an unfair advantage to the team in posession?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    Ive never understood this. If the clock is stopped many times during the game then surely close to 80 minutes should have been played. Isnt this extra time just an unfair advantage to the team in posession?

Its simply the rules of the sport, the match cannot me until the ball goes dead.