hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Boy, are we fickle

I don't post very often here but feel compelled to in the light of events occurring since Friday.
    I've been supporting this club since my boyhood in the late 1960s - through good times and bad times, mostly bad times. These last two and a half years have been amongst the best times - rivalling even the Tornadoes era.
    Stubbs and Lennon have brought us success and good football. I can't remember, for example, any other era in which Hibs fans looked forward to games against the Old Firm, and particularly at Ibrox, with relish and confidence.
    I never liked Lennon when he was opposing us but knew, as soon as he was appointed, that he would get this club moving. He has delivered promotion and he has delivered fantastic football to the fans, and a never-say-die spirit to the team. Now, after a disappointing run - coming after losing a player of the calibre of McGinn - he is being slated by many of the fans on here. Lennon is a hothead, but we knew that from the start and he should be forgiven for his outbursts because he has sweated blood for us and brought something to the club which will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to replace.
    There are those on here who think that the businesswoman LD can do no wrong - just as they once believed that RP could do no wrong. Perhaps they've forgotten that Petrie finally took a backseat only because over-tolerant Hibs fans, after years of suffering, finally realised they'd had enough and rose up to pressure him out. LD made a good decision in appointing Lennon but she shouldn't be given carte blanche because of that, or because of business decisions she has made which have aided the club.
    None of us know exactly what happened last Friday but one thing is for sure. There hasn't been a worse-timed decision since the board sold O'Connor in 2006, sending us without a striker to be slaughtered by Hearts in the cup semi-final, and kick-starting the mass sell-off of the golden generation.
    I watched last Sunday's match on a dodgy foreign-language stream while following the dotnet match updates. Players were being written off and their careers ended in the first half, only to be proclaimed and lauded as Messiahs after the second half. May and Grant, who were obviously embarrassed to be thrust into the role of managing the team, were suddenly being given all credit for the win. In fact credit was being handed out all round - to everyone but the guy who put this team together.
    A fine balance has to be achieved between the business interests - represented by LD and RP, and the football side represented by Lennon.
    We shouldn't be allowing things to swing too far towards the money men - those old enough to remember Petrie's 'biscuit box' era must recognise that.
    I hope that it isn't too late to get Lennon and Parker back on board and I would urge those who appreciate what they have done for the club to continue to make their voices heard above the members conducting polls, rubbishing Lennon's name, and speculating about possible candidates to replace the irreplaceable.

2. Log in to remove the advert

If even half, never mind most, of what is circulating about what Lennon said to and acted towards specific players and towards LD is true, then his bridges aren't so much burned, rather incinerated, with Hibs.

Regardless of how much of a winner he is/was. No one is bigger than the club and we move on. I'm only hoping it doesn't turn into a public war of words or similar in the press as that would tarnish what were a great couple of seasons with NL at the helm.

A nice sentiment Harry but he's burned his bridges.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I think we are very fickle, we cant accept a bad half season, it used to be a whole season but now we want rid after a managers 1st bad spell.

We dont want to see some of the reasons why we've not been as good as previously, every reason is ignored and we just should be doing better.

No manager is given any real time to try and turn things around again, its top 4 or nothing now.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy people in the coming years.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we are very fickle, we cant accept a bad half season, it used to be a whole season but now we want rid after a managers 1st bad spell.

We dont want to see some of the reasons why we've not been as good as previously, every reason is ignored and we just should be doing better.

No manager is given any real time to try and turn things around again, its top 4 or nothing now.

To an extent, I agree with this. And I will be prepared to cut the next manager slack if results do not go their way immediately. I am not about to become one of those fans who demands instant success.

For me, Lennon had to go because it was the union not only of a very, very bad spell, but a manager with his head both in the sand and/or trying to (figuratively) headbutt his own players.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by IngolstadtHarry View Post
    I don't post very often here but feel compelled to in the light of events occurring since Friday.
    I've been supporting this club since my boyhood in the late 1960s - through good times and bad times, mostly bad times. These last two and a half years have been amongst the best times - rivalling even the Tornadoes era.
    Stubbs and Lennon have brought us success and good football. I can't remember, for example, any other era in which Hibs fans looked forward to games against the Old Firm, and particularly at Ibrox, with relish and confidence.
    I never liked Lennon when he was opposing us but knew, as soon as he was appointed, that he would get this club moving. He has delivered promotion and he has delivered fantastic football to the fans, and a never-say-die spirit to the team. Now, after a disappointing run - coming after losing a player of the calibre of McGinn - he is being slated by many of the fans on here. Lennon is a hothead, but we knew that from the start and he should be forgiven for his outbursts because he has sweated blood for us and brought something to the club which will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to replace.
    There are those on here who think that the businesswoman LD can do no wrong - just as they once believed that RP could do no wrong. Perhaps they've forgotten that Petrie finally took a backseat only because over-tolerant Hibs fans, after years of suffering, finally realised they'd had enough and rose up to pressure him out. LD made a good decision in appointing Lennon but she shouldn't be given carte blanche because of that, or because of business decisions she has made which have aided the club.
    None of us know exactly what happened last Friday but one thing is for sure. There hasn't been a worse-timed decision since the board sold O'Connor in 2006, sending us without a striker to be slaughtered by Hearts in the cup semi-final, and kick-starting the mass sell-off of the golden generation.
    I watched last Sunday's match on a dodgy foreign-language stream while following the dotnet match updates. Players were being written off and their careers ended in the first half, only to be proclaimed and lauded as Messiahs after the second half. May and Grant, who were obviously embarrassed to be thrust into the role of managing the team, were suddenly being given all credit for the win. In fact credit was being handed out all round - to everyone but the guy who put this team together.
    A fine balance has to be achieved between the business interests - represented by LD and RP, and the football side represented by Lennon.
    We shouldn't be allowing things to swing too far towards the money men - those old enough to remember Petrie's 'biscuit box' era must recognise that.
    I hope that it isn't too late to get Lennon and Parker back on board and I would urge those who appreciate what they have done for the club to continue to make their voices heard above the members conducting polls, rubbishing Lennon's name, and speculating about possible candidates to replace the irreplaceable.
    I agree with you regarding NL.....great feeling to be travelling to Ibrox and Parkhead with him at the helm. I doubt he will be back but would love to see it sorted if possible and him back in charge

Left by mutual consent!

Completely agree with this. The moment we go on a bit of a bad spell it’s “sack him”.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    There's a lot in the original post that is incorrect, but I do agree that some fans are too quick to turn on managers & players when things aren't going right - but it's not just at Hibs.

However, I think that many on here currently wanting Neil Lennon to go has more to do with his attitude over the past few months than the results themsleves.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Phrases like the bit in bold don’t really help or add much balance to any debates. Lennon has been good for us but let’s not get carried away that a 4th place finish, which is an achievement, is some sort of unrepeatable feat no other mortal can ever live up to.

For me Lennon got us up in uninspiring fashion but got us up all the same, one of our most enjoyable second halves to a season last season, and got us into Europe. Did well in Europe and an abysmal league campaign this season. Overall more good than bad but looked to be out of ideas and ready for a new direction IMO.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For me its just, here we are again ... again ... again .. again ... and so forth.

I'm not sure this is just down to NL, I honestly think there is a huge lack of ambition within the boardroom and that we will be stuck in this cycle for years to come.

First Team Breakthrough
    I agree with most of what you say except that NL should be forgiven for his outbursts.
    I cannot forgive him for singling out Kamberi for public ridicule and blaming him for the team’s demise when anyone who has watched this seasons games knows there is a whole raft of reasons, all of which have already been mentioned on the forum, for the poor performances by the team. The club spent big on him and he is one of our prized assets and there is no doubt his confidence has been dented by being hung to dry by NL.

Totally agree. Some of the stuff being said on here before the S*** hit the fan on Friday was unreal. Unfortunately the new manager is unlikely to get any time from those same suspects. A little bit of success has put peoples expectations through the roof.

Testimonial Due

From what we understand about the current situation, Neil Lennon isn't being removed from his post because of a bad spell of form. Everyone, fans and club, can live with that. Neil would have been given time to continue developing the club and while he will have been set targets, I'm sure nobody insisted he reach 4th or better.

As far as I can see the ONLY reason that Neil Lennon is hanging round his house this week rather than preparing for the match with Aberdeen is that his behaviour in the workplace hasn't been acceptable to Hibernian FC as an employer and, possibly, may have compromised the club's position in terms of employment law. Before anyone says 'football's different' it isn't. It's an unusual workplace but it's a workplace all the same and the law applies just as much at East Mains and Easter Road as it does in any office, factory or anywhere else.

Neil Lennon hasn't lost his way at Hibs because he's ambitious. He's lost his way because he hasn't been able to behave in professionally. That's a regrettable, sad fact which I'm sure upsets many Hibs fans (self included) but it is what it is and we have to thank him for his contribution to some great times and move on.

Excellent post IngolstadtHarry - you should post more often mate. A very good summary of events and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Albert of Kidd View Post
    Totally agree. Some of the stuff being said on here before the S*** hit the fan on Friday was unreal. Unfortunately the new manager is unlikely to get any time from those same suspects. A little bit of success has put peoples expectations through the roof.
    The new manager will get plenty of time if he doesn't publicly go to war with his own players and threaten to storm out after a defeat. Hope that helps.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

I agree with this.

Managers should get more time, but we live in a world where everything, including relationships, is disposable, and instant gratification is expected.

Had Friday not happened, I'd have continued arguing that NL was going to take us back up the league and that we'd be challenging at the top again, next season.

I was getting called for been unjustifiably positive and for my "blind optimism", but that's what I believed. Others thought, and still do, there was a knight in green and white shining armour somewhere who would ride in and take us to heights never experienced before, or something like that.

But of course, that's nonsense. Those same people will be calling for the new guy's head as soon as we suffer a few poor results, particularly if they include a defeat to hearts.

However, Friday did happen so we have to move on, but as usual, other people will seize the opportunity to attack the board and they should be resisted.

There's already been people opportunistically trying to attack Leeann Dempster until they were shown up on the thread.

I wish things had been different and that Neil Lennon was still here, but he managed to get himself sacked.

Whether by accident or design.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I agree with this.

Managers should get more time, but we live in a world where everything, including relationships, is disposable, and instant gratification is expected.

Had Friday not happened, I'd have continued arguing that NL was going to take us back up the league and that we'd be challenging at the top again, next season.

I was getting called for been unjustifiably positive and for my "blind optimism", but that's what I believed. Others thought, and still do, there was a knight in green and white shining armour somewhere who would ride in and take us to heights never experienced before, or something like that.

But of course, that's nonsense. Those same people will be calling for the new guy's head as soon as we suffer a few poor results, particularly if they include a defeat to hearts.

However, Friday did happen so we have to move on, but as usual, other people will seize the opportunity to attack the board and they should be resisted.

There's already been people opportunistically trying to attack Leeann Dempster until they were shown up on the thread.

I wish things had been different and that Neil Lennon was still here, but he managed to get himself sacked.

Whether by accident or design.
    Like.

What has been forgotten in the emotional outpourings of the last few days is that while Neil Lennon has undoubtedly been good for Hibs, Hibs were also very good for Neil Lennon.

His reputation took a battering after his spell at Bolton, whatever the mitigating circumstances. Hibs provided him with a platform to showcase his talent and, contrary to some of the nonsense being posted, backed him more than any manager in our recent history. Lennon leaves Hibs in a better place but, subject to an amicable parting being agreed, he also leaves in a better place than when he joined.

Footballs essentially short term, especially at clubs like Hibs. I had no real desire to see Lennon leave now but his increasingly venomous public criticisms in recent weeks had me concerned. Ultimately Hibs will move on from NL, we'll have ups and downs, the odd cup win , good seasons and bad seasons. I daresay NL will move on from Hibs too and arguably be able to aspire to a better job than he would have been considered for prior to his time here.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    The new manager will get plenty of time if he doesn't publicly go to war with his own players and threaten to storm out after a defeat. Hope that helps.
    Nice and patronising. What a lovely place this can be at times.

But you are wrong all the same. If we had won the last 14 games no one would be shouting for his head, regardless of storming off etc. Hope that helps.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    He won't if results are poor. A lot of our fans are quick to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    Excellent post IngolstadtHarry - you should post more often mate. A very good summary of events and attitudes.
    Thanks, Johnny. I was ejected from Hibs.net in a previous incarnation in 2006 for voicing my opinions about Petrie 'too boisterously'. So, since then I try to bite my tongue rather than spouting off. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    He won't if results are poor. A lot of our fans are quick to turn.
    Yes, and those fans are (largely) idiots. Many of them are the ones who don't want to know when times are hard at Hibs, and come flooding back when we win a cup/get into Europe.

I do generally agree with this but not so much in Lennon's case.

I turned against Lennon last Wednesday. We were absolutely stinking and I lost faith in his ability to turn it around. If he'd been picking teams that seemed to make sense, we'd been playing ok and been unlucky or I had faith that things were going to turn around then that would be different.

That wasn't the case on Wednesday. We've looked lost for a while and we've not looked like a happy team.

Whilst I wasn't about to stick a gorilla suit on and start demonstrating I had lost faith he'd turn it around.

No team that has Flo as a lone striker and Mallan playing as a deep midfielder has any hope of staying in the Premier League long-term.

I don't think Lennon would have made the necessary change that won us the game on Sunday but that's open to debate.

We have a decent core of players for someone new to work with.

To this day the only Hibs manager I've actively wanted sacked was Miller, and that was because he'd been there too long and run out of ideas.

Others I've come to accept needed to go after the event but didn't go demanding that they be removed from their position.
    Last edited by Smartie; 29-01-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Aye

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post
    From what we understand about the current situation, Neil Lennon isn't being removed from his post because of a bad spell of form. Everyone, fans and club, can live with that. Neil would have been given time to continue developing the club and while he will have been set targets, I'm sure nobody insisted he reach 4th or better.

As far as I can see the ONLY reason that Neil Lennon is hanging round his house this week rather than preparing for the match with Aberdeen is that his behaviour in the workplace hasn't been acceptable to Hibernian FC as an employer and, possibly, may have compromised the club's position in terms of employment law. Before anyone says 'football's different' it isn't. It's an unusual workplace but it's a workplace all the same and the law applies just as much at East Mains and Easter Road as it does in any office, factory or anywhere else.

Neil Lennon hasn't lost his way at Hibs because he's ambitious. He's lost his way because he hasn't been able to behave in professionally. That's a regrettable, sad fact which I'm sure upsets many Hibs fans (self included) but it is what it is and we have to thank him for his contribution to some great times and move on.
    On the money Alan62, pretty much my feelings too.
    sad that it’s come to this as we did seem to be a good match , but some of Neil’s comments regarding, Flo in particular, but also some of our other players, whilst he may have felt were correct, and at times we the fans have voiced similar thoughts, are in the modern workplace , wholly unacceptable.
    Its 2019 not 1919.
    Personally, I’m glad we have someone as level headed and switched on as Leanne Dempster , who understands exactly what is acceptable and what is not.
    something thats not been mentioned before, as far as I’ve seen, is that Flo may have previously raised grievance(s) to the Clubs HR Department with regard to perceived workplace bullying, and the club are duty bound to act to protect their employees.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Good post, this place becomes rabid at times and we all need to settle down and wait on the “detail” if that ever comes out or the conclusion of this. 100% correct in that the timing is criminal but hey ho that is Hibs and yes the GO sale / timing just reminds a lot of us just what our club is capable of. Would the yams have done same if situations reversed, we all know the answer to that one.

HFC could help take the sting out things, when it is legally OK to do so, by giving clear details of how they backed the manager. IF NL thought he was not being backed as he had expected then counter that and tell us. IF the McGinn money is spread over 2/3 years and the board were only prepared to let NL spend what they have received thus far then tell us - personally I do not think he has had access to funds he thought or might have thought would be made available.

Something is is not right here, yes NL was a fiery character but let’s not crucify him until we know more as one thing I love about him is he is a winner! He has tried to spread that mentality throughout his squad and, until recently, had a degree of success doing so. IF he has been stood down because he was fighting his corner then that is no reason to decry him.

Yeah, or something else that some fans don't like. Losing to Hearts, for example.

Or failing to explain why they played certain players in certain positions.

Or if they suffer a team's worth of injuries.

Or if they're 7 points off 6th place during the January transfer window.

Hope that helps.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    For me its just, here we are again ... again ... again .. again ... and so forth.

I'm not sure this is just down to NL, I honestly think there is a huge lack of ambition within the boardroom and that we will be stuck in this cycle for years to come.
    Prove it!

But you are wrong all the same. If we had won the last 14 games no one would be shouting for his head, regardless of storming off etc. Hope that helps.
    Very good point.

Nice and patronising. What a lovely place this can be at times.

If we had won the last 14 games he wouldn't have been storming off.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan62 View Post

There are a lot on here that don't accept a bad spell, in fact losing a game is almost a sackable offence on its own, especially when its hertz.