hibs.net Messageboard

Why has the style of football changed so much?

Now before people say it's because of the 3 midfielders we lost; we were still playing some decent stuff at the start of the season. But ever since the Hamilton game in October the style of football seems to have resorted to hit and hopes up towards Flo. I don't get it. Are they being told to go more direct or doing it themselves because of the lack of confidence in themselves and their team mates? It seems to have went from last season playing some of the best football we have seen in years with a lot of the same players who are here this season, To the start of the season playing decent stuff even if there was a bit of a (understandable) drop off, all the way to just lumping it like the butcher days. It's so night and day it's frightening.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Because we have guys in the middle of the park who cannae move and cannae track a runner

Is there a slower footballer in the world than Mallan? Yep. We also have Whittaker

Jesus wept

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because we have guys in the middle of the park who cannae move and cannae track a runner

Is there a slower footballer in the world than Mallan? Yep. We also have Whittaker

Jesus wept
    You can add Marvin to the list too..............offering nothing this season for me, sorry to those that really rate him, but this should be his last season at Hibs. We need more dynamic and industrious defensive midfielders in the top flight and Milligan and Bartley are definitely not the answer if you want to improve on last year. You need that position to be far more than just winning a tackle and playing a 5 yard pass..........you need to be able to take the ball up the pitch and allow the players to get into attacking positions. Both those players love the simple ball and don't take games by the scruff of the neck.

Marvin has the ability (in my opinion) to drive up the pitch but appears to be one of those players who wants to take the easy option and play the square pass and let others take that responsibility, meaning the creative players have to drop deeper. I wonder if Kris Commons was referring to him (amongst others) when he said in an interview that at half time v Morton certain players admitted to not being 'comfortable on the ball'when he was asking them to play on the deck and not get rid of the ball so quickly.

@hibs.net private member
    Confidence is shot probably because the players are scared to make a mistake due to the way Lennon might berate them in the press.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Now before people say it's because of the 3 midfielders we lost; we were still playing some decent stuff at the start of the season. But ever since the Hamilton game in October the style of football seems to have resorted to hit and hopes up towards Flo. I don't get it. Are they being told to go more direct or doing it themselves because of the lack of confidence in themselves and their team mates? It seems to have went from last season playing some of the best football we have seen in years with a lot of the same players who are here this season, To the start of the season playing decent stuff even if there was a bit of a (understandable) drop off, all the way to just lumping it like the butcher days. It's so night and day it's frightening.
    I this is a great point. Everyone will mention McGinn, Allan and McGeough leaving in the summer but this season we've started with a decent run in Europe, beaten the teams currently first and second in the league and best Hamilton 6-0. That's with the current squad.

But something has changed and now we're a shadow of that team. The style of football is terrible.

When Bartley and Whittaker can make the first team when they couldn’t last season then it’s obvious we have got a lot worse.
    The midfield is dreadful and and we appear to only have two strikers available. Why have we only two strikers? That is totally self inflicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    When Bartley and Whittaker can make the first team when they couldn’t last season then it’s obvious we have got a lot worse.
    The midfield is dreadful and and we appear to only have two strikers available. Why have we only two strikers? That is totally self inflicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hibs are a professional football club.

The number of times we've left ourselves woefully short of depth in certain areas is staggering.

Possibly understandable if money was very tight but that really isn't (or shouldn't be) the case with us this season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    You can add Marvin to the list too..............offering nothing this season for me, sorry to those that really rate him, but this should be his last season at Hibs. We need more dynamic and industrious defensive midfielders in the top flight and Milligan and Bartley are definitely not the answer if you want to improve on last year. You need that position to be far more than just winning a tackle and playing a 5 yard pass..........you need to be able to take the ball up the pitch and allow the players to get into attacking positions. Both those players love the simple ball and don't take games by the scruff of the neck.

Marvin has the ability (in my opinion) to drive up the pitch but appears to be one of those players who wants to take the easy option and play the square pass and let others take that responsibility, meaning the creative players have to drop deeper. I wonder if Kris Commons was referring to him (amongst others) when he said in an interview that at half time v Morton certain players admitted to not being 'comfortable on the ball'when he was asking them to play on the deck and not get rid of the ball so quickly.
    Marvin was a better centre half tonight than the others. His reading of the game saved us 5 times.

Whittaker to McGregor to Hanlon to McGregor to Marciano to Hanlon to Mallan back to McGregor. Then launch it towards Flo who ducks under it. That must have happened about 37 times tonight.

When Bartley is in the team it’s difficult to play through midfield. Makes no effort to make himself available to the back four. We’re a man down in that sense. When he does get the ball he never looks forward. That’s him, and he is what he is, the issue is that we’re relying on him in the first place. For the vast majority of 2018 we were a better team without him.

I’ve kind of singled out Bartley there but our centre halves dither on the ball, take about 19 touches and just generally slow the game down and allow the opposition to get in to their shape.

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Confidence is shot probably because the players are scared to make a mistake due to the way Lennon might berate them in the press.
    I'd agree that their confidence is shot, but disagree that it is because they fear a public lambasting by their manager.

We were also never playing as nice football as some make out. It improved a bit after promotion from the championship but we’ve never ‘looked’ as good as Stubbs era.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    We were also never playing as nice football as some make out. It improved a bit after promotion from the championship but we’ve never ‘looked’ as good as Stubbs era.
    Yep, Allan made us look a lot better in the second half of last season because he is a luxury player who sprays beautiful passes and we had two forwards who enjoyed the service they were getting.

We were a bit of a gang in the Championship and there's a lot of revisionism from some Hibs fans who seem to remember it as a procession to the title, which it really wasn't. We won that league on account of being the best of a bad, bad bunch.

Though it was infuriating to watch us spend the game on the edge of the opponents' penalty box and often fail to fashion and/or finish enough chances, the football was undeniably more pleasing on the eye under Stubbs. This wasn't a criticism of Lennon when the results were going right (as they were up until November 2018), but now we've gone off a cliff, it becomes another thing that makes me sick of watching Hibs at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Yep, Allan made us look a lot better in the second half of last season because he is a luxury player who sprays beautiful passes and we had two forwards who enjoyed the service they were getting.

We were a bit of a gang in the Championship and there's a lot of revisionism from some Hibs fans who seem to remember it as a procession to the title, which it really wasn't. We won that league on account of being the best of a bad, bad bunch.

Though it was infuriating to watch us spend the game on the edge of the opponents' penalty box and often fail to fashion and/or finish enough chances, the football was undeniably more pleasing on the eye under Stubbs. This wasn't a criticism of Lennon when the results were going right (as they were up until November 2018), but now we've gone off a cliff, it becomes another thing that makes me sick of watching Hibs at the moment.
    Second paragraph absolutely spot on. We had goals in Cummings and a player in McGinn that set us apart from the others, but we really never looked like a very good side. Ultimately the job got done though as you say.