hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 151 to 176 of 176

Thread: Messi

  1. #151
    These greatest ever debates are quite tiresome. They can never be proven. Iíve spoken to people in their 80s now who insist that Duncan Edwards was the greatest all round footballer of all time. We can never know because he died aged 21.

    One thingís for sure, some day Messi will stop playing football, and the football world will be a sadder place. We should all try and enjoy him while heís around. And when the next superstar of the next generation comes round, as they always do, the next generation of fans will, as always, think Ďtheir greatestí is ĎThe Greatestí


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #152
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These greatest ever debates are quite tiresome. They can never be proven. Iíve spoken to people in their 80s now who insist that Duncan Edwards was the greatest all round footballer of all time. We can never know because he died aged 21.

    One thingís for sure, some day Messi will stop playing football, and the football world will be a sadder place. We should all try and enjoy him while heís around. And when the next superstar of the next generation comes round, as they always do, the next generation of fans will, as always, think Ďtheir greatestí is ĎThe Greatestí

  4. #153
    First Team Regular Lucy Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Beyond the sea
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yip!

    Every day is a school day

    Married three times umpteen affairs seven children one of whom he did not recognise though listed by Wikedpedia as undoubtedly being his sadly died in 2006

    Must have had his reasons but agree not good as he is a millionaire several times over

    Over the years I have heard that both Maradona and Messi also had different skeletons in their closets but that does not excuse Pele
    Billy, as it's a thread about great players (which Pele definitely was) I should not have diversed from that. I regret bringing this into the discussion.



    ps He was miles better than Messi!

  5. #154
    First Team Breakthrough GTMRossaK3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Forfar
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mind what Messi done to Hibs in a friendly? Imagine he could do that every week, he'd score alot more than 1500.

    Messi has quite a few years in him yet remember. He's better than ever for goals and assist this season.
    Was that the game at Murrayfield? Can't remember why it was played at Murrayfield. Enjoyable day out to see some world class stars. The Barcelona stars weren't too bad either!!

  6. #155
    @hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sleepy Hollow
    Posts
    4,498
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Billy, as it's a thread about great players (which Pele definitely was) I should not have diversed from that. I regret bringing this into the discussion.



    ps He was miles better than Messi!

  7. #156
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    48
    Posts
    15,824
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that the game at Murrayfield? Can't remember why it was played at Murrayfield. Enjoyable day out to see some world class stars. The Barcelona stars weren't too bad either!!
    Barca were EVS HT-FT, unbelievable Jeff! 👍

  8. #157
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    7,521
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    come on now, you're being silly.
    There is no comparison with the tackles of the 70s and 80s and the occasional sly stamp you get today. Quite often a top level full back would get away with a warning for a 21st century 'red card challenge' early doors (a 'reducer' in parlance of old), then another Vinny Jones knee high assault might get a yellow.
    You'd have to do four or five dangerous challenges, or punch someone, to actually get a red. Watch a game sometime.

    And serie a defenders? In the 80s? No myth. They battered you. And noone got it like Maradona.
    So defenders just dived in all the time? Messi would walk past that. Defenders now are much better than they were then, quicker, more disciplined, stronger, smarter and these guys score far far more goals against them than Maradona or Best ever did.

    The occasional sly stamp is not true at all. Takes only a quick Google search to see top players getting smashed just this season.

  9. #158
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by GTMRossaK3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was that the game at Murrayfield? Can't remember why it was played at Murrayfield. Enjoyable day out to see some world class stars. The Barcelona stars weren't too bad either!!
    It was. I may be wrong but Dundee United drew with them (or a narrow defeat) at Tannadice the week before.

  10. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was. I may be wrong but Dundee United drew with them (or a narrow defeat) at Tannadice the week before.
    Was it not 5 or 6-1 to Barca against utd

  11. #160
    @hibs.net private member My_Wife_Camille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,568
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was. I may be wrong but Dundee United drew with them (or a narrow defeat) at Tannadice the week before.
    Thatís was the previous year. Barca won 1-0 with a last minute penalty

  12. #161
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22,005
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So defenders just dived in all the time? Messi would walk past that. Defenders now are much better than they were then, quicker, more disciplined, stronger, smarter and these guys score far far more goals against them than Maradona or Best ever did.

    The occasional sly stamp is not true at all. Takes only a quick Google search to see top players getting smashed just this season.
    No, they didn't 'dive in' all the time. They hurt you, on purpose.

    The fact you can Google search an occurrence of violent play or two these days, doesn't change the reality that it was a regular occurrence back then, it is an occasional occurrence now.

    But I think you know that really. you're arguing cos you like it.

  13. #162
    @hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    1,368
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So defenders just dived in all the time? Messi would walk past that. Defenders now are much better than they were then, quicker, more disciplined, stronger, smarter and these guys score far far more goals against them than Maradona or Best ever did.

    The occasional sly stamp is not true at all. Takes only a quick Google search to see top players getting smashed just this season.
    https://youtu.be/CpxoTiKkvw8

    Slightly before my time and it is Celtic. Athletico Madrid however show why it gets described as a different era in terms of tackling


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #163
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://youtu.be/CpxoTiKkvw8

    Slightly before my time and it is Celtic. Athletico Madrid however show why it gets described as a different era in terms of tackling


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Never seen that before, amazing.

  15. #164
    No doubt tackling and tackling rules have changes since Maradona and Pele playing days. But why does everyone assume Messi etc wouldnít handle playing the same way the above two did?

    Who knows.. if diving and rolling around didnít work the way it does now, even the likes of Ronaldo wouldnít bother with it and stand-up pretty well against these hardman defenders of yesteryear, given his physical attributes.

  16. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was. I may be wrong but Dundee United drew with them (or a narrow defeat) at Tannadice the week before.
    Lost 0-1 with a 90th min penalty

  17. #166
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    7,521
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, they didn't 'dive in' all the time. They hurt you, on purpose.

    The fact you can Google search an occurrence of violent play or two these days, doesn't change the reality that it was a regular occurrence back then, it is an occasional occurrence now.

    But I think you know that really. you're arguing cos you like it.
    I just don't see why Messi wouldn't have handled it just fine? Ronaldo as well, he's much bigger, stronger and fitter than Maradona. It's the only argument you seem to have, they got kicked a bit more 40 years ago, you actually think that is the difference between Messi and Ronaldo scoring far far more goals?

    Why do you keep taking personal shots at me recently? It's very strange. I disagree with what you're saying so we're talking about it. Please stop trying to make it personal.

  18. #167
    @hibs.net private member VivaPalmeiras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't see why Messi wouldn't have handled it just fine? Ronaldo as well, he's much bigger, stronger and fitter than Maradona. It's the only argument you seem to have, they got kicked a bit more 40 years ago, you actually think that is the difference between Messi and Ronaldo scoring far far more goals?

    Why do you keep taking personal shots at me recently? It's very strange. I disagree with what you're saying so we're talking about it. Please stop trying to make it personal.
    Balls.
    I mean balls make a difference.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

    ....SHARE THE VISION RODNEY....

  19. #168
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22,005
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just don't see why Messi wouldn't have handled it just fine? Ronaldo as well, he's much bigger, stronger and fitter than Maradona. It's the only argument you seem to have, they got kicked a bit more 40 years ago, you actually think that is the difference between Messi and Ronaldo scoring far far more goals?

    Why do you keep taking personal shots at me recently? It's very strange. I disagree with what you're saying so we're talking about it. Please stop trying to make it personal.
    Your debating style involves jumping all over other posters, calling valid opinions 'wrong' and being argumentative for the sake of it. Its not just me that's pointed it out.

  20. #169
    Coaching Staff MWHIBBIES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Lothian
    Posts
    7,521
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your debating style involves jumping all over other posters, calling valid opinions 'wrong' and being argumentative for the sake of it. Its not just me that's pointed it out.
    So would you like me to finish every post with "well you're entitled to your opinion" like others do? It really goes without saying, of course you are. I disagree though. Which I'm entitled to do.

    I'm not being argumentative for the sake of it, I'm disagreeing because it's a forum and I can do that.

    I've never had a single warning from a admin or mod in nearly 10 years so I'm obviously not breaking any rules.

  21. #170
    Ronaldo (Cristiano) is the best ever for me. He's excelled at every club he's played for in four different countries, Sporting, Man United, Real Madrid and now Juve winning five Champions leagues with two different clubs so far. Also dragged a relatively average Portugal all the way to become champions of Europe. Just incredible. It's no surprise Real Madrid are way off the pace this season without him.

    Messi is fantastic but has been in his comfort zone at Barca surrounded by exceptional players for years and never really done much with Argentina. That's the difference for me.

    Would take him in the January window though
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 17-01-2019 at 09:45 AM.

  22. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ronaldo (Cristiano) is the best ever for me. He's excelled at every club he's played for in four different countries, Sporting, Man United, Real Madrid and now Juve winning five Champions leagues with two different clubs so far. Also dragged a relatively average Portugal all the way to become champions of Europe. Just incredible. It's no surprise Real Madrid are way off the pace this season without him.

    Messi is fantastic but has been in his comfort zone at Barca surrounded by exceptional players for years and never really done much with Argentina. That's the difference for me.

    Would take him in the January window though
    We shall disagree.

    Ronaldo has signed for teams all who were top of the league in the 4 countries.

    Portugal - he got injured early in the final. But obviously contributed before.

    The stats of the 2 players should never be compared s Iíve witness Messi several times letting other take penalties / set up others for tap ins when he could have scored them himself.

    The only area I would say Ronaldo is better than Messi is at is heading. But when it comes to all round play there better players than Ronaldo. But the one thing Ronaldo does do is score goals something that canít be argued.

  23. #172
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We shall disagree.

    Ronaldo has signed for teams all who were top of the league in the 4 countries.

    Portugal - he got injured early in the final. But obviously contributed before.

    The stats of the 2 players should never be compared s Iíve witness Messi several times letting other take penalties / set up others for tap ins when he could have scored them himself.

    The only area I would say Ronaldo is better than Messi is at is heading. But when it comes to all round play there better players than Ronaldo. But the one thing Ronaldo does do is score goals something that canít be argued.
    Iím somewhere in the middle of the two of you

    I agree regards Ronaldo and the Euros. Messi took Argentina to the final of the WC and ultimately just fell short. Ronaldo took Portugal to the final of the Euros and didnít contribute in the final due to injury. Fair enough he picked up a winners medal but in terms of their overall contribution Iím not sure you can hold that against Messi when Ronaldo played next to no part in the final.

    Ronaldo to me though is streets ahead of everyone other than Messi. Although thereís not a lot between the two of them for me.

  24. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím somewhere in the middle of the two of you

    I agree regards Ronaldo and the Euros. Messi took Argentina to the final of the WC and ultimately just fell short. Ronaldo took Portugal to the final of the Euros and didnít contribute in the final due to injury. Fair enough he picked up a winners medal but in terms of their overall contribution Iím not sure you can hold that against Messi when Ronaldo played next to no part in the final.

    Ronaldo to me though is streets ahead of everyone other than Messi. Although thereís not a lot between the two of them for me.
    Just lucky that both have played during our time

  25. #174
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,220
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just lucky that both have played during our time
    Definitely

  26. #175
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://youtu.be/CpxoTiKkvw8

    Slightly before my time and it is Celtic. Athletico Madrid however show why it gets described as a different era in terms of tackling


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like our last few derbies at Tynecastle where neither side needed the ball.

  27. #176
    @hibs.net private member My_Wife_Camille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,568
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://youtu.be/CpxoTiKkvw8

    Slightly before my time and it is Celtic. Athletico Madrid however show why it gets described as a different era in terms of tackling


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not much difference between that and Portugal v Holland in 2006 imo

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved