hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Macron Logo

New Macron Logo

I see Macron have changed their logo, and will be updated on kits as of this year/next season.

I wonder if they will keep the same format with the wordmark on the chest and the symbol on the sleeves, or if they’ll simplify it a bit with just the symbol on the chest instead. I’d be happy with that.

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2018/...-logo.html?m=1

2. Log in to remove the advert

I wonder how much someone earned to come up with that? It's a long statememt to say 'it used to be a bit rounded and now it's a bit more triangular, everything else is the same'.

If they stop plastering either logo on every available space on their gear it would improve it tenfold.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    The Macron strips are terrible. Adidas next please.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder how much someone earned to come up with that? It's a long statememt to say 'it used to be a bit rounded and now it's a bit more triangular, everything else is the same'.

If they stop plastering either logo on every available space on their gear it would improve it tenfold.
    They probably paid a consultancy millions.

I love the macron strips.

Ha, ha - you can almost picture the group of execs in their ideas meeting, big blank page prominent on the flipchart in the corner of the room with the cream of tertiary education's business studies output all just hoping that someone else has a suggestion

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool New macron logo

Have you been in the club store recently it is the best ever the amount of products on sale now is superb

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    Adidas would be incredible

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Adidas would be incredible
    Do you not think that adidas is just all mass production bumf?

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I like the Macron stuff.....they just need to sort their sizing out. It’s a shambles!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I like the Macron stuff.....they just need to sort their sizing out. It’s a shambles!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    I agree - the big brands like Adidas and Nike put zero effort in and you end up with some cheap template that every other club has.

Kappa next would be cool.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I agree - the big brands like Adidas and Nike put zero effort in and you end up with some cheap template that every other club has.
    Having a template isnt always such a bad thing.

The cup final winning Nike kit and the promotion winning Nike kit were templates but also 2 of the best looking Hibs kits since badges and sponsors etc were regularly added to strips in the early 80s.

The macron home strips have been custom designed to Hibs, but have been just bizzare looking.

The Hibs kit in general will always be unique to us because of the green and white sleeves and would look amazing on almost any adidas template

@hibs.net private member
    I think the first Macron home shirt was very nice, had some nice little bespoke features and maintained a classic look.

This year’s effort leaves a little to be desired... I can see they were going for something different but it’s a little outlandish for me, still bought it tho lol!!

At the end of the day the only manufacturer that would make any semblance of a difference to the overall design would be Adidas as we would get the three stripes somewhere on the kit, other than that any other manufacturer can design a pleasing kit.

I’d love to see more input take from the fans though... I’m not a huge fan of design by committee but at least presenting options and letting the fan base vote on designs or features would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    I think the first Macron home shirt was very nice, had some nice little bespoke features and maintained a classic look.

This year’s effort leaves a little to be desired... I can see they were going for something different but it’s a little outlandish for me, still bought it tho lol!!

At the end of the day the only manufacturer that would make any semblance of a difference to the overall design would be Adidas as we would get the three stripes somewhere on the kit, other than that any other manufacturer can design a pleasing kit.

I’d love to see more input take from the fans though... I’m not a huge fan of design by committee but at least presenting options and letting the fan base vote on designs or features would be great.
    I’ve raised the point about fan input to kit design several times as there are always some great examples put forward in the annual new kit thread. I’ve asked if it’s been raised at working together groups or wjatever but still waiting. Would be good if the fans reps could confirm if fan input to kit design has ever been raised up the line.

Liked last seasons but this season It's awful

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    They probably paid a consultancy millions.

I love the macron strips.
    As someone who is a designer for one of the agencies responsible for several rebrands in the list of ‘most expensive logos in history’, I can tell you this is completely misguided rubbish. Yes it might cost a fair bit for a major company to physically change, reprint, recast, resignage and rebadge ever single iteration of the logo that exists in every single little place in every single country in the world, but the actual design process is generally fairly low in cost, under appreciated and good value for money. Designers are one of the lowest paid skilled jobs out there, some earn less than cashiers despite years of training, high skill and ingenuity. The rest of the cash is usually blown on giant marketing and advertising campaigns and the like, and that certainly doesn’t go to the agencies responsible for the redesign itself.
    Last edited by Austinho; 13-01-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinho View Post
    As someone who is a designer for one of the agencies responsible for several in the list of ‘most expensive logos in history’, I can tell you this is completely misguided rubbish. Yes it might cost a fair bit for a major company to physically change, reprint, recast, resignage and rebadge ever single iteration of the logo that exists in every single little place in every single country in the world, but the actual design process is generally fairly low in cost, under appreciated and good value for money. Designers are one of the lowest paid skilled jobs out there, some earn less than cashiers despite years of training, high skill and ingenuity. The rest of the cash is usually blown on giant marketing and advertising campaigns and the like, and that certainly doesn’t go to the agencies responsible for the redesign itself.
    100%. The media stories about rebrands costing whatever fortune are almost all the costs of printing, new signs on buildings and what not. There’s not some logo designer sitting somewhere cashing a £100k cheque.

Whatever it’s worth, I’d say this is a fairly decent evolution of their logo.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I’ve raised the point about fan input to kit design several times as there are always some great examples put forward in the annual new kit thread. I’ve asked if it’s been raised at working together groups or wjatever but still waiting. Would be good if the fans reps could confirm if fan input to kit design has ever been raised up the line.
    A quick look at the absolutely disgusting kit that won the fans vote for Morton’s latest kit - is a perfect example why an entire broad fan base shouldn’t be responsible for decisions like this. Collectively, the broader general public have poor judgement and taste. Imagine for example, thousands of 50-70 year olds voting for a piece of clothing predominantly bought and worn by under 25s - it’s a conflict of interest.

The Morton example was a perfect example of someone doing a nice mockup in Photoshop, but not actually understanding the production process, or how that would translate to being recreated on fabric.

Plus, as Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motors, and pioneer of the entire automobile industry said “If I had asked people in the beginning what they wanted, they would have said faster horses”. Best to leave it to the experts IMO.
    Last edited by Austinho; 13-01-2019 at 01:46 PM.

A quick look at the absolutely disgusting kit that won the fans vote for Morton’s latest kit - is a perfect example why an entire broad fan base shouldn’t be responsible for decisions like this. Collectively, the broader general public have poor judgement and taste. Imagine for example, thousands of 50-70 year olds voting for a piece of clothing predominantly bought and worn by under 25s - it’s a conflict of interest.

The Morton example was a perfect example of someone doing a nice mockup in Photoshop, but not actually understanding the production process, or how that would translate to being recreated on fabric.

Plus, as Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motors, and pioneer of the entire automobile industry said “If I had asked people in the beginning what they wanted, they would have said faster horses”. Best to leave it to the experts IMO.
    I wasn’t suggesting the fans would necessarily vote for their favourite. What I was saying is there have been some fine mock-ups put up on this board over the past few years and I’d like to see some route opened where these ideas could be taken forward by the club to discuss with the kit suppliers. I don’t know how the process even works currently. Do Macron come up with a series of options or do the club provide them with suggestions or a detailed set of requirements?

@hibs.net private member

Designing a car and designing a football 'uniform' are not really comparable, but i do get where you are going.

The mistake that Morton made was to put a horrible design in the mix.

Letting the fans vote on aspects of the design they would like to see in the overall kit design isn't a terrible idea, letting them choose a finished piece is.

The process would involve a lengthy behind closed doors design process before letting joe public 'make any decisions'.

I am also a designer and while I think i may know better a lot of the time I do concede that in certain areas the end user or customer needs a little input, otherwise they don't immediately identify with the product. Im sure you will have experienced times when you have created something that perfectly answers the brief and the client comes back asking for it to look like something else they have already seen. Letting the 'experts' choose is like going for a haircut in a flashy salon and letting the stylist tell you what is 'hot right now' and you walk out looking like an eegit :)

If you want more sales as well then you have to keep the 'layman' happy too.

What I meant by ‘experts’ in this instance would be a combination of Macron and club themselves - the club are the ones who understand the brand, the traditions, the requirements of the kit. They also have years of sales figures and experience which show what is and isn’t popular with the support, so should be in a good place to make an informed decision guided by the kit designers recommendations.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Agree with the sizing. Sometimes I’m and XL, sometimes I need an XXL.

Macron rugby jerseys, I’m a Large!

I’m Large in Nike and Adidas.

The material has a lot to do with it. Away shirt in XL fits perfectly. Home one with the shiny smooth material, feels tighter.

So frustrating.

J

@hibs.net private member
    What I meant by ‘experts’ in this instance would be a combination of Macron and club themselves - the club are the ones who understand the brand, the traditions, the requirements of the kit. They also have years of sales figures and experience which show what is and isn’t popular with the support, so should be in a good place to make an informed decision guided by the kit designers recommendations.
    I agree with what you are saying but the fans are the ones buying the kit, the players will wear what they are told to and the board just want good sales and feedback. I have found in similar cases that the designers and the client sometimes need an outside perspective as their objectivity sometimes becomes subjectivity. The fan base as a whole also know which kits they have favoured over others too so all the internal sales figures in the world cannot predict how somebody will view a different design. Take this year’s away kit as example... gave the fans what they want with a white with green sleeve design but let it fall down in so many people eyes with some details.
    Last edited by BlackSheep; 13-01-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Cardiff have their kit made by adidas. I've always wanted one of my teams to have adidas kits. The shirts themselves are nice enough but the training year is ridiculously expensive and mass produced to the point that the Cardiff crest is just a flat plastic stick on rather than a nice stitched crest. It makes it feel so cheap and not unique at all. I was pretty dissapointed.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Bloody French.

Agree the sizing is very bad,but in contrast last seasons away shirt was one of the best I think weve had.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I really like the Macron strips. Think our past 2 home tops have been absolute crackers .

Wore the current one during our European trip to Athens and thought it was also pretty comfortable!

New kit arriving at hibs end of month. Not a new strip yet.

I’d love Hibs to go for adidas next, but I don’t think the macron’s have been terrible. Fairly different, and the material itself is substantially superior to what Nike were serving us.