hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Golf 2019

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Played Peterhead and Cruden Bay last weekend - two excellent courses within 6 miles or so of each other. Peterhead is the less well known of the two, but the course is well worth a visit and such a shame that visitors travel from all over the world to play Cruden Bay but don’t bother with a course that is the 18th oldest in the world. The first two or three holes are weak admittedly, but after that you’re into proper linksland and a testing layout. We played in their Opens - £20 for Peterhead and £40 for Cruden Bay so was a great way to play them.
    To put visitor income into perspective for most clubs, this chart on the wall at Cruden Bay shows the homes around the world of some of the visitors to the club in 2019 alone..

Last edited by Carheenlea; 22-08-2019 at 05:55 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I was sad to see this story in the news the other day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...ntral-49408565

I played this course a few times when I was a student up in Dundee and really liked it.

You hear about golf clubs being under pressure and that some private clubs have had to close, but I must admit I was surprised to hear this. I had always thought it was a well used facility.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Ratho Park last Monday, Royal Musselburgh last Tuesday, Dunbar yesterday, The Roxburghe this coming Monday, Baberton on Tuesday, Dunbar on Wednesday.

Jeez, I'm finding this retired life tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was sad to see this story in the news the other day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...ntral-49408565

I played this course a few times when I was a student up in Dundee and really liked it.

You hear about golf clubs being under pressure and that some private clubs have had to close, but I must admit I was surprised to hear this. I had always thought it was a well used facility.

I think there are also 3 public courses in Glasgow currently under the threat of closure plus Mount Ellen which was also forced to close very recently. I don't think anyone has the answer to halt the apparent decline in membership numbers but its a huge concern. I can see that the bigger Clubs will continue to flourish (eg the Links courses in East Lothian will be fine I and will be helped by the huge numbers of new housing in the area.

Unfortunately I don't think we will have seen the last of the smaller inland courses going under.

@hibs.net private member Dalianwanda's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Coming over to play Archerfield next weekend - breakfast, goodie bags, round of golf & two course dinner for 90quid! Hope the weathers a bit better back home than it is here.

Scottish Open confirmed as returning to The Renaissance for 2020. Look forward to having a big event like this on our doorstep again, but I wonder what impact the JP McManus Pro Am at Adare Manor on the Monday and Tuesday of the week of the Scottish Open will have on the quality of the entry? A lot of big names already confirmed for JP’s event, and some might decide to hop over and play The Scottish while they are here before heading down to Royal St George’s, but it could also have the opposite effect with some maybe skipping our own open.

Renaissance is a poor venue for The Scottish Open in my opinion. Doesn't flow as well as Gullane or any of the other previous venues. Issue is Aberdeen Standard want somewhere close to Edinburgh for corporate reasons, the members at Gullane quite rightly don't want to give up their course every year for both the mens and womans events, Archerfield don't want to host it, North Berwick don't have the land for the infrastructure, and other East Lothian venues aren't up to standard.

A rota on non-open courses all over scotland would be great, but the main sponsor can't wine and dine as easily.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Scottish Open confirmed as returning to The Renaissance for 2020. Look forward to having a big event like this on our doorstep again, but I wonder what impact the JP McManus Pro Am at Adare Manor on the Monday and Tuesday of the week of the Scottish Open will have on the quality of the entry? A lot of big names already confirmed for JP’s event, and some might decide to hop over and play The Scottish while they are here before heading down to Royal St George’s, but it could also have the opposite effect with some maybe skipping our own open.
    If loads of Yanks want an event that gives practice on a links course then I can see them giving it a miss next year. But I'm biased as places like this are exactly what we DON'T need if we are wanting to promote golf as a game for everyone- rant over

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Renaissance was terrible for spectating.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Letham Grange to close.

No doubt more to come.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Letham Grange to close.

No doubt more to come.
    Yip, I know of a couple of Clubs who are "on the brink."

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Letham Grange to close.

No doubt more to come.
    Played Letham Grange a long time ago, but it’s a Club that has seemed to have had financial trouble from pretty much day one. Hotel and club been separated and a few different owners and wrangles despite having a steady enough membership in recent years, but not enough for it to survive. A shame to see.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I see Bob McIntyre has a good Hibby on the bag this week. 😀👍

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Good gig for his coach this week, especially if Bob wins. I have been so impressed every time I have seen him play. Old head on young shoulders.
    I thought he was unlucky shooting a 74 yesterday and hope he can go out and win his first title today. He has the guts and nerve, that is for sure.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Who's that, Alex?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    At last, some proper sport on Sky. Good challenge in this skins game, all for a good cause with some very good golf being played on a course we've never seen before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    At last, some proper sport on Sky. Good challenge in this skins game, all for a good cause with some very good golf being played on a course we've never seen before.
    Marred by an interview with Trump who took the chance to give a mini party broadcast saying how well he had done recently. Unless I misheard, he said that he had done so many million tests for Covid19 where Obama’s administration had done none.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Marred by an interview with Trump who took the chance to give a mini party broadcast saying how well he had done recently. Unless I misheard, he said that he had done so many million tests for Covid19 where Obama’s administration had done none.

Aye, i heard him spouting his crap over the telephone. I tend to listen now to him, just for the bull**** he's going to come out with.

It's got to the stage now, that if he promised to give everyone in the world a thousand pounds and actually delivered on it, i'd still think he was doing something wrong.

Anyway, some very good golf, and Mathew Wolff has the strangest swing i've seen, you think he's going for a dance before he hits the ball.

@hibs.net private member brythehibby's Avatar
    A few keen golfers were discussing the possibility of rekindling the Hibs.net golf day. I've said I could try and organise something for the 25th of October. Course is free I think and Hibs play the saturday. If anyone would be keen get in touch
    Last edited by brythehibby; 17-09-2020 at 09:08 AM.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Any advice on how to get into it as a bit of an outsider? Club membership seems expensive and a bit daunting for a hacker like myself. Are there any that are a bit more budget/beginner friendly?

I'm on West side of town (not far away from Carrick Knowe), is Edinburgh Leisure the best bet for value / choice / locality (£460)?

Edit: Also saw the £100 short game membership at Braids, is that any good? https://www.braidhillsgolf.co.uk/ShortGameArea.asp

Or better sticking to driving range & Bruntsfield pitch and putt to start with
    Last edited by Speedy; 28-09-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Lots of driving range to begin with certainly helps but there's nothing like hitting a course to put it all together.

Club membership straight away would be quite expensive, especially when you're new and don't know how much you might play so I would just pay as you go for rounds to begin with. The Edinburgh Leisure courses are excellent, good value and you have the choice of a good few. I quite like a twilight golf offer if you're looking for a fancier course for a good price. I find that if you take a twilight golf offer it's normally because courses are quieter later in the day, and under those circumstances you can do stuff like drop 3 or 4 balls 100 yards from the green and practice hitting a few in under much less pressure than when playing on a busy course with people all booked onto it back to back. Likewise you can drop a few in a bunker to get a feel for hitting out of those, chip out of various sorts of rough/ fringe/fairway towards a green to get the hang of that. This isn't always as easy on the Edinburgh leisure courses (which are quite busy and popular) but it's a brilliant way to hone your game.

Speak to mates who are members in places - they'll often get decent offers to sign players onto courses, so that lets you try other places at a good price.

I've also taken out stuff like the Open Fairways scheme in the past - they give you good 2 for 1, 4 for 2 offers etc but you need a buddy who will join you. Always good to effectively save you half of your green fees though.

Good luck and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Any advice on how to get into it as a bit of an outsider? Club membership seems expensive and a bit daunting for a hacker like myself. Are there any that are a bit more budget/beginner friendly?

I'm on West side of town (not far away from Carrick Knowe), is Edinburgh Leisure the best bet for value / choice / locality (£460)?

Edit: Also saw the £100 short game membership at Braids, is that any good? https://www.braidhillsgolf.co.uk/ShortGameArea.asp

Or better sticking to driving range & Bruntsfield pitch and putt to start with
    When I started out I paid for lessons with a PGA qualified instructor at 50 pounds a pop. Set me up with the basics and it was great to learn from someone who knows how to work with beginners. Since then as Smartie says, plenty of range time and hours upon hours of watching online coaching videos. Some really good videos on youtube.

I would recommend having a few lessons from an instructor first and foremost. The guy at Melville Golf range does half hour and/or an hour at average prices. He wasn't my instructor but I've seen him coaching folk, seems a decent guy to boot.

Scottish Open this week. Down in North Berwick. A beautiful neck of the woods. Pity no spectators or I'd have tried to get tickets. Plenty of contenders. Looks like its hard to call a winner with it being a competitive field.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Cheers guys

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RitchieHibs View Post
    Scottish Open this week. Down in North Berwick. A beautiful neck of the woods. Pity no spectators or I'd have tried to get tickets. Plenty of contenders. Looks like its hard to call a winner with it being a competitive field.
    With a Hibby in the field i know where my money is going!

Quote Originally Posted by Godsahibby View Post
    With a Hibby in the field i know where my money is going!
    Who is that?

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Who is that?
    Neil Fenwick. Season ticket holder in the East. Don’t let the 750/1 odds out you off!

Neil Fenwick. Season ticket holder in the East. Don’t let the 750/1 odds out you off!
    Good stuff - cheers!

I wondered if we were going with the tenuous Andrea Pavan one - he once played in a pro am with Hecky, who apparently did a great job of selling the club to him (might even have been around his tournament last summer).

I'll keep an eye out for his progress or not as the odds suggest but you never know. Hope he at least makes the cut.

Nice one.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RitchieHibs View Post

I'll keep an eye out for his progress or not as the odds suggest but you never know. Hope he at least makes the cut.

Nice one.
    9 over today. Will need a miracle to make the cut but will be a great experience for him.