hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 2019

Left by mutual consent!

Golf 2019

PGA Sony Open in Hawaii starts tomorrow. Big field and lots of potential winners. A smallish number of top players, large number of tour journeymen and some no hopers mixed into this one. Good luck to anyone else having a bet and for throughout the rest of 2019.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tornadoes70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PGA Sony Open in Hawaii starts tomorrow. Big field and lots of potential winners. A smallish number of top players, large number of tour journeymen and some no hopers mixed into this one. Good luck to anyone else having a bet and for throughout the rest of 2019.
    Its a pity so many of the early season tournaments are played in the middle of the night as far as we are concerned. I always look forward to the Florida swing as it features some great golf courses and therefore attracts the top players.

Its interesting that due to the revised PGA Schedule for 2019, the Open Championship in July will be the last Major of the season.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Its a pity so many of the early season tournaments are played in the middle of the night as far as we are concerned. I always look forward to the Florida swing as it features some great golf courses and therefore attracts the top players.

Its interesting that due to the revised PGA Schedule for 2019, the Open Championship in July will be the last Major of the season.

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.html
    It is pity. Some brilliant varied courses there. However, when I've had bets on golfers with a good chance of winning going into the weekend's final two days play I've stayed up until the very early hours to continue watching .

The PGA being switched to its new earlier slot does leave a long time in between majors after the Open in July but makes for great viewing from April through to July.

Going to be another very interesting year in the fantastic world of golf methinks.

Left by mutual consent!
    Big Phil cards an almost unbelievable -12 under first round of '60' at the Desert Classic in California. The old saying is that you can't win a tournament in the first round but you can lose it might just be overturned here. If Phil even shoots modest scores in the next ones he's still in with a great shout. Very interesting to see how it pans out over the next few days. Not on big Phil bet wise but got to hand it to the almost now veteran golfing legend for his efforts today, terrific golf.

I'm planning an easy day today. I'll watch the last round of the European Golf from Abu Dhabi this morning before heading to ER this afternoon.

Can't be bad.

Last edited by Golden Bear; 19-01-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I'm planning an easy day today. I'll watch the last round of the European Golf from Abu Dhabi this morning before heading to ER this afternoon.

Can't be bad.

The Pga desert classic was eventually won by Adam Long after a final round fight to the wire involving also Big Phil and Adam Hadwin. Terrific golf. I lost a bit on Big Phil but hey ho that's the way golf is.

Some brilliant golf played and well done to Long who was very probably a big priced outsider prior to the start of this one.

Roll on next week.

The Pga desert classic was eventually won by Adam Long after a final round fight to the wire involving also Big Phil and Adam Hadwin. Terrific golf. I lost a bit on Big Phil but hey ho that's the way golf is.

Some brilliant golf played and well done to Long who was very probably a big priced outsider prior to the start of this one.

Roll on next week.
    I lost a fair whack on Phil, so I'm going to sit it out for a while.

Long was outstanding up the stretch.

Golf's a funny game - you have players like that who find a bit of form from nowhere and really look the part yet just disappear at other times.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I lost a fair whack on Phil, so I'm going to sit it out for a while.

Long was outstanding up the stretch.

Golf's a funny game - you have players like that who find a bit of form from nowhere and really look the part yet just disappear at other times.
    Sorry to hear that mate.

I too put a fair whack on after the first round at 100/30. Its incredibly frustrating when someone like Long suddenly plays like a top ten in the world player instead of the World number 417 that he was to pip Big Phil.

I'll be having a small bet on the Dubai Classic and a larger one on the Farmers Insurance this week but sticking strictly to my pre tournament bets no matter if they don't make the cut. I'm cutting down on betting on the European tour as I'm very rarely lucky on that one compared to the PGA.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I too put a fair whack on after the first round at 100/30. Its incredibly frustrating when someone like Long suddenly plays like a top ten in the world player instead of the World number 417 that he was to pip Big Phil.

I'll be having a small bet on the Dubai Classic and a larger one on the Farmers Insurance this week but sticking strictly to my pre tournament bets no matter if they don't make the cut. I'm cutting down on betting on the European tour as I'm very rarely lucky on that one compared to the PGA.
    This is normally a time of year that I like on the PGA tour. You quite often get a low-odds winner, a big gun against a weaker field and I thought that was what was happening with Phil last week.

Occasionally though you do get someone who shows a bit of form and emerges from the pack, and you can get an idea who you fancy for the majors later on in the year.

I find the European Tour much harder to call at this time of year, normally only really getting interested in that around the time when the Open is out of the way later in the year.

Left by mutual consent!
    This is normally a time of year that I like on the PGA tour. You quite often get a low-odds winner, a big gun against a weaker field and I thought that was what was happening with Phil last week.

Occasionally though you do get someone who shows a bit of form and emerges from the pack, and you can get an idea who you fancy for the majors later on in the year.

I find the European Tour much harder to call at this time of year, normally only really getting interested in that around the time when the Open is out of the way later in the year.
    Extremely competitive Dubai Classic first round with any number putting themselves into good position. Very difficult to forecast the winner of this one. I suspect there might be a change of leaders several times over at least the next couple of rounds.

The Pga Farmers has thrown up some very low scoring with Rahm carrying forward his terrific form shooting a 10 under round of 62. Will take some stopping if continuing on like that, however, Rose and a few others are not too far off. Interesting to see what unfolds tomorrow in this one.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I'm not enjoying watching the Pros putting with the flag in.

It's weird.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

It's weird.
    Have you seen anyone drop the ball at knee height yet?

Have you seen anyone drop the ball at knee height yet?
    Yip, I saw Xander Schauffele take a drop in the opening round of this latest tournament. He seemed unsure of the correct procedure and called a referee in to reassure him that he wouldn't be abusing the new rule.

Left by mutual consent!
    Bit of an anti climax this weekend due to Rose and Dechambeau winning without serious challenges emerging and they both won comfortably enough in the end up. Got to hand it to them both though as they played some great golf.

Roll on next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

It's weird.
    That’s just wrong.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thursday's beginning of the Saudi Open has both of last weeks competition winners lining up against one another in Justin Rose and Bryson Dechambeau. They're joint ante post favourites, however, also competing is the likes of Dustin Johnson, Brooks Koepka, Sergio Garcia, Henrik Stenson, Patrick Reed, good solid players like Matt Wallace, Luiten, Pieters and Li etc who're all very capable, along with a plethora of extremely variable form tour journeymen who are all capable of appearing at the top middle or bottom end of leader-boards depending on very good, average or very bad rounds. All of which makes for what should be a cracking competition.

The Phoenix Open looks quite wide open as well, however, if Rahm continues his sparkling form of late he could come out on top albeit with Justin Thomas, Xander Schauffele, Tony Finau, Daniel Berger, Andrew Putnam, Billy Horschel and Gary Woodland etc entered he could find himself in a battle to win this one.

Looking forward to them both as per although the Saudi Open has the look of a brilliant contest and could be the one to watch.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Paul Casey and Dustin Johnson are set for a battle tomorrow in the Valspar Championship.

I used to bet Casey every time and won a load off him winning this one last year. I didn't think he'd retain it and my closest challenger betting wise is Sunjae Im who had a very average round today and looks unlikely to win but you never know.

Big Dustin would be my pick to win now but Casey has played very well the last three rounds and it could very well go down to the wire.

The European tour story has been about Thomas Pieters total collapse when looking likely to mount a strong challenge. Elvira's leading and my pick Kieffer still has a shout albeit three shots back.

Been great watching so far.

Tough course and tough conditions tonight.

Casey will take strength from having won here before but pars are looking valuable today.

Gripping stuff up to now, and everything to play for.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Tough course and tough conditions tonight.

Casey will take strength from having won here before but pars are looking valuable today.

Gripping stuff up to now, and everything to play for.
    tough conditions??? Should have tried Gullane 1 today😂😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    tough conditions??? Should have tried Gullane 1 today😂😂😂😂
    All relative mate, the wind over there and the state of some of the greens......

Although I know all about what a wild day at Gullane can mean.

Casey deserved that. Ground it out.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Casey deserved that. Ground it out.
    It was all about the grinding.

A good, stern test. I hate it when it gets "silly US Open" difficult but I also lose a bit of interest when the big hitting Americans thump the ball all over the place and get record low scores.

All relative mate, the wind over there and the state of some of the greens......

Although I know all about what a wild day at Gullane can mean.
    I hit my six iron 90 yards today.😂😂😂.I was trying to hit it 120. Also hit my rescue club 260 for a bit of balance.😂😂😂😂

WGC matchplay this week.

Paddypower are paying out e/w on 8 places, so if your player reaches the quarter finals you get a return (unless I'm picking something up wrong).

I've gone for a few long odds outsiders here - Matt Wallace (80/1) and Eddie Pepperell(100/1) have both made decent starts over in the USA this year, and I've taken Keith Mitchell (100/1) and Abraham Ancer (125/1) as well.

Leaves me with a wee bit of my budget to go in in-play at the weekend.

WGC matchplay this week.

Paddypower are paying out e/w on 8 places, so if your player reaches the quarter finals you get a return (unless I'm picking something up wrong).

I've gone for a few long odds outsiders here - Matt Wallace (80/1) and Eddie Pepperell(100/1) have both made decent starts over in the USA this year, and I've taken Keith Mitchell (100/1) and Abraham Ancer (125/1) as well.

Leaves me with a wee bit of my budget to go in in-play at the weekend.
    Well that went well!!

Last sixteen matches below. Some interesting matches.

B Grace (SA) v S Garcia (Spa)

M Kuchar (US) v T Hatton (Eng)

L Bjerregaard (Den) v H Stenson (Swe)

R McIlroy (NI) v T Woods (US)

J Rose (Eng) v K Na (US)

F Molinari (Ita) v P Casey (Eng)

H Li (Chn) v K Kisner (US)

M Leishman (Aus) v L Oosthuizen (SA)

Tiger v Rory this afternoon has the making of a classic as both players are playing well. Rory's putting has improved a lot this season which is the main reason why he's consistently on the leader boards. I'd back him to beat the Tiger.

Tiger 3 up after 10, Rory is putting like an eejit. Always said he was a dodgy putter. 😉

Tiger wins 2/1. Overall, Rory played the better golf and Tiger got out of jail a few times but there's no denying he can still play the game.

With all my outsiders out I'm going to plump for Molinari now.

Not been watching it today but following on from his Ryder cup exploits he'll cut a fairly formidable match play opponent.

Left by mutual consent!
    With all my outsiders out I'm going to plump for Molinari now.

Not been watching it today but following on from his Ryder cup exploits he'll cut a fairly formidable match play opponent.
    I've only Kisner left and the way Molinari's playing it'd be no surprise whatsoever for my last man standing exit tomorrow aginst him. Mind you i thought Kis was out already in the match against Oosthuizen but came back in some style especially the shot at the 17th that was sublime. I had Garcia too but he's played terribly against Kuuuucchh and looks to have blown it.

Tiger and Berraguard's match has been a good one to watch as has most of them to be fair. Molinari looks as if he's in untouchable form though and will take some stopping.

Sunjae Im my pick for the other one has fallen behind to now near veteran status Graeme Mcdowell.