hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If a club are willing to pay you a big wage then of course you’re going to take it. If your legs are gone then that’s their problem.

If some club I had no affinity to in League 2 in England or something phoned me today and asked me to sign I’d do it in a heartbeat. I know I’d be nowhere near good enough but that would be their issue, not mine.
    Exactly. It's a shame that it's us that got the bad end of the deal but I can't see what people are expecting here. OTJ was never going to go "Pat, I'm not sure I'm good enough - I'm just going to play for East Fife instead". It's nice to hear players talk openly and relatively positively considering the time at which they played for us, it's a shame it never worked out for Collins as other than missing a couple of sitters (jumped on worse at the time due to our situation) he had a lot of good attributes for a forward player.
    Mon the Hibs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    Collins was a trier so would never give him too much of a hard time, just a shocking footballer as was his strike partner Paul Heffernan.

Front three of Collins, Vine and Heffernan, that’s enough to give anyone nightmares.
    Heffernan and Collins both made a living scoring goals wherever they went. Neither is a shocking footballer. Heffernan was actually decent for us, just injured often.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Heffernan and Collins both made a living scoring goals wherever they went. Neither is a shocking footballer. Heffernan was actually decent for us, just injured often.
    I thought Heffernan was awful. He only scored 5 in 35.

I didn’t actually realise he made 11 appearances under Stubbs, I thought he’d left that summer.

Left by mutual consent!

I didn’t actually realise he made 11 appearances under Stubbs, I thought he’d left that summer.
    AS apparently quite liked him, just wished he'd got a younger version of him.

Heffernan was a good player who was absolutely shot by the time we got him. 2 or 3 seasons earlier he would have been a great signing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    I really liked Gary Deegan until some clown broke his jaw. Was half the player he was before after that.
    I also thought Gary Deegan did a pretty good job for us for a while. For some reason I really liked Paul Cairney too!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Was actually a very good listen I thought. Pretty honest about their times at Hibs during what was a difficult period. There’s no doubt the relationship between players and fan was more strained to the relationship and identity that we have now. Our patience and frustrations had been stretched too far and and we were definitely far quicker to jump on players backs back then than now, and it just summed up the toxic atmosphere about the club at that time.
    You could sense that they didn’t really want to give much airtime to Malpas which told its own story really, and Butcher made an almighty pigs ear of things alright. The worst managerial appointment ever, and I’m embarrassed to think back on how I was desperate to see the appointment made. Have said before that as soon as I saw him pull that stupid face in the main stand on his first PR photo shoot I suddenly got a bad feeling about the whole thing.
    Both came across pretty well, but Collins was perhaps embellishing things a little when talking of hearing bricks bouncing off the stand as angry fans gathered outside following relegation.

If a club are willing to pay you a big wage then of course you’re going to take it. If your legs are gone then that’s their problem.

If some club I had no affinity to in League 2 in England or something phoned me today and asked me to sign I’d do it in a heartbeat. I know I’d be nowhere near good enough but that would be their issue, not mine.
    I don’t necessarily disagree with that. And the club should take first responsibility for signing him and not putting him through the necessary checks or signing him if those checks did flag issues. It just really annoys me hearing him say how his legs had gone at 29 and was quite happy effectively stealing wages from clubs after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    OTJ was outstanding against us at ER the previous season. As was Rowan Vine. So much so I had to find out who they were. I was delighted to sign both.
    Shame it didn’t work out but both were good players although not for us.
    OTJ welsh international and RV went for million pound deals.
    Common theme that. Liam Craig and Danny Swanson spring to mind too.

Collins actually speaks okay of us to be fair but still strikes me as a prick. OTJ was a wage thief.

Left by mutual consent!
    Detest them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    I also thought Gary Deegan did a pretty good job for us for a while. For some reason I really liked Paul Cairney too!
    Cairney started okay. Was so slow though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Cairney started okay. Was so slow though.
    First 6 months he was class. Nutmegged folk for fun and set sparky up constantly. Then seemed to drop off. Never a winger in a million years and I cannot believe we never tried him as a 10.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    OTJ would be a contender for a place in my worst Hibs XI and that’s saying something. Seemed more interested in golf on his social media than football. Dreadful player.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    First 6 months he was class. Nutmegged folk for fun and set sparky up constantly. Then seemed to drop off. Never a winger in a million years and I cannot believe we never tried him as a 10.
    I think teams got wise to lack of pace after the first six months and realised he was a bit of a one trick pony with the nutmeg followed by the cutting in on his right foot.

Heffernan was alright but as others have said he was too old by the time he got here. Vine was a waste of space. More interested in his beard than playing football. Collins was a trier but just wasn't very good at us. I think the pressure of following Griffiths got to him (as he kind of alludes to in the interview).

So what do club medicals actually achieve? How could OTJ pass a medical when his legs were gone.
    I would imagine there would be some type of bleep test as well as an examination?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiolex1 View Post
    So what do club medicals actually achieve? How could OTJ pass a medical when his legs were gone.
    I would imagine there would be some type of bleep test as well as an examination?
    Bleep test? Wotsat?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I used to love doing the bleep test in PE at school. Would hate to think how bad I’d be at it now compared to how I used to be

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Detest them both.
    Bit harsh. Collins at least put in the effort. It's hard to tell if he was good enough or not (I suspect not) as the whole team were poor. He's done well elsewhere before and after at a lower level. Comes across ok in the interview.

First Team Regular
    It really was just the most terrible of times. Butcher and his hatchet man of an assistant administering the final wound to a club that had been going steadily downwards for the 7 years since winning the league cup.

As much as i really cant stand Butcher (more so Calderwood i have to say), it really was a study in the badly managed decline of a club, and the failings of Collins, Mixu, Fenlon and Calderwood were all too similar to not have been heavily influenced by the highheidyins running the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Bleep test? Wotsat?
    Basically it is running out 20 metres and back. You get a a pre determined time to do this which reduces on every complition and the time limit is sounded by a bleep. All the major fitness test are done this way. My son who plays under 18 Rugby managed a score of 17 a few months back, my other son who is hoping to be a policeman is currently sitting at 12. I am sure if OTJ legs had gone his bleep test would’ve picked this up?

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Basically it is running out 20 metres and back. You get a a pre determined time to do this which reduces on every complition and the time limit is sounded by a bleep. All the major fitness test are done this way. My son who plays under 18 Rugby managed a score of 17 a few months back, my other son who is hoping to be a policeman is currently sitting at 12. I am sure if OTJ legs had gone his bleep test would’ve picked this up?
    Thanks for the information. Every day's a school day.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    Bit harsh. Collins at least put in the effort. It's hard to tell if he was good enough or not (I suspect not) as the whole team were poor. He's done well elsewhere before and after at a lower level. Comes across ok in the interview.
    Had the "pleasure" of encountering Collins a few times that season and the guy came over as a bit of a bell end to be honest.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Some names in the Hibs hall of shame in this thread. Bad times.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    The days of Alan Maybury, Fraser Mullen and Michael Hart.

Thank god for Sir David Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Had the "pleasure" of encountering Collins a few times that season and the guy came over as a bit of a bell end to be honest.
    Fair play mate, I never had the "pleasure". Was just going off his on field efforts and this interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    The days of Alan Maybury, Fraser Mullen and Michael Hart.

Thank god for Sir David Gray
    Nothing wrong with Maybury. Solid player for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Nothing wrong with Maybury. Solid player for Hibs.

This comment alone shows how bad things were.

Maybury did nothing of note for us, but I suppose in comparison to some of his team mates that made him a stand out!

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This comment alone shows how bad things were.

Maybury did nothing of note for us, but I suppose in comparison to some of his team mates that made him a stand out!
    No, he was actually just a solid player. Good pro who had a solid career.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Some names in the Hibs hall of shame in this thread. Bad times.
    They all started bad and got worse pretty consistent