Referees joining the statement league

Strike incoming?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Callum_62's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 0083-4364-6418-4974
    Cant argue that death threats are anything but repulsive

Cant argue that the standard of our officials is appalling and their perceived integrity is shot to bits

Which, interestingly is exactly what happened the last time the went on strike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t VAR or similar the obvious solution at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the solution to wilful ignorance; I can't believe Beaton witnessed all those incidents involving Morelos and didn't think any of them deserved a red card - it just isn't feasible.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    It's not the solution to wilful ignorance; I can't believe Beaton witnessed all those incidents involving Morelos and didn't think any of them deserved a red card - it just isn't feasible.
    This

And did Bobby Madden really not see Scott “Bruce Lee” Mckennas flying kick on Eduaord of which he was retrospectively punished?

Beaton said he seen the incidents and would not have shown any cards. VAR would only have shown him the same replays he has since seen, so no, in this case jt would make no difference at all.

Is it not time that referees were obliged to give a TV or radio interview after games to explain why they made certain decisions, at least that might give some clarity regarding their process and way of thinking. … would it not help even more if refs were just now and again willing to admit they had made a mistake, and I don't mean in their memoirs 10 years after retiring but maybe the day after the game.

But the other question regards the process of appointing referees … was there not something on here a few months ago which showed that a massively disproportionate number of grade 1 refs come through the system from in and around Glasgow, no wonder so many of them have, or at least are suspected of having, loyalties to one or other of the two arse cheeks.

If the SFA did something about the west coast referees buddy system which clearly seems to disadvantage refs from elsewhere in Scotland perhaps that would help address the neutrality question.

But the truth is that the standard of refereeing in Scotland is appalling at the moment, with the worst thing being their inconsistent decisions and failing to make decisions which are 'no brainers' but they still seem to get wrong. For example, time wasting … its becoming a bloody epidemic at Easter Road this season and yet when do you ever see anybody booked for it? …. In the Livingston game their keeper delayed taking a bye kick as he picked up his water bottle and made to have a drink from it after the ref had signaled him to restart play … this was with Hibs clearly chasing the game at that point and it was a blatant attempt to waste time … booking him for that action was so obviously appropriate it wasn't true, and yet the ref did nothing apart from to wave at him to get moving.

The other thing is not taking a second to weigh up a situation before making a decision ….. The penalty decision in the League cup final was bad enough, but worse than that was in a recent Hearts game, I cant remember who it was against, where a penalty was given against them which was probably one of the most laughable decisions I think I've ever seen and I'm a bloody Hibs fan. When its gotten so bad that I'm sympathising with sodding Hertz you know its time for refs to shape up.

Each grade 1 ref in this country makes more in a month than over half of our professional footballers do and that includes many players in the premiership .. in view of that I don't think its too much to ask that the standard reaches a far higher level than its currently at and instead of spitting the dummy when the criticism gets a bit heated perhaps they would be better served finding a way to get decisions right.

I would stress that not a single word of this post excuses the utter morons who cant separate football from real life and think its ok to mount personal attacks and make threats to refs either on line or worse in the street …. that is totally unacceptable and I hope the police get a hold of the buggers.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 06-01-2019 at 02:18 AM.

They need to get rid of the ‘if they saw it, nothing can be done’ rule. It’s nonsense. If the referee makes a decision that a panel / the vast majority of right-thinking people consider to be wrong, it should be dealt with.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    "Crises point"? "Bye-standers"? Even The Fat Slug manages to write literate statements.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Beaton said he seen the incidents and would not have shown any cards. VAR would only have shown him the same replays he has since seen, so no, in this case jt would make no difference at all.
    So he’s incompetent/bias/corrupt or all of the above

First Team Regular
    Do they not get paid £1,000 per game too?

What there not supposed to be some official website run by refs where they could post their reasons behind certain decisions but it was never used?

I’d never want to be a ref but some of the decisions they make, with no rationale behind them, are inexcusable.

Gamer IDs

Can someone please explain why morelos was allowed to commit these 3 fouls - of which beaton seen and wasn’t atleast booked - and then compare that to Kamberis first booking at Tynie, which was for persistent fouling (i believe also 3 fouls)

This is the inconsistency that ruins out game
    and makes people question the actual integrity of our referees

VAR would be prohibitively expensive to use in the Scottish game.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    What there not supposed to be some official website run by refs where they could post their reasons behind certain decisions but it was never used?

I’d never want to be a ref but some of the decisions they make, with no rationale behind them, are inexcusable.
    They used to post explanations for decisions on the Monday after a game on the sfa website which explained why the ref hadn't sent off an old firm player or given a penalty against the old firm .
    Joking aside it was called whistleblower and personally thought it was a move in the right direction however for some reason and don't think it was ever communicated they stopped doing it. No one is saying it isn't a difficult job however the apparent notion that a top ref has to come from west central Scotland certainly doesn't help and the apparent lack of governance and responsibility when the same refs keep getting top games after making appalling game changing decisions over and over and over again e.g Collum, gives the impression it isnt as even handed as it should be imo.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 06-01-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    That seems to be the current mantra in Scottish football however personally think the game needs it and cant afford not to have it..

Quote Originally Posted by Callum_62 View Post
    Can someone please explain why morelos was allowed to commit these 3 fouls - of which beaton seen and wasn’t atleast booked - and then compare that to Kamberis first booking at Tynie, which was for persistent fouling (i believe also 3 fouls)

This is the inconsistency that ruins out game
    and makes people question the actual integrity of our referees

Good comparison. Personally think Flo is one of these players refs give nothing to and are very quick to punish for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    They need to get rid of the ‘if they saw it, nothing can be done’ rule. It’s nonsense. If the referee makes a decision that a panel / the vast majority of right-thinking people consider to be wrong, it should be dealt with.
    Couldn't agree more. The current compliance process seems farcical and inconsistent and should be changed immediately. A good thing imo is that we currently have a number of managers in the league who are not scared to call out refs which I think is healthy within reason.

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Good comparison. Personally think Flo is one of these players refs give nothing to and are very quick to punish for some reason.
    Same rule applies to Bartley.

They both play in green. It’s as simple as that.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by SkintHibby View Post
    There are already cameras at every premiership game in order to provide highlights to BBC and BT Sport.

Every week Sportscene manage to analyse events and decisions within matches using the footage available, the only thing needed is making this same footage accessible to the referee during the match.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    On the flip side, one of the problems with VAR could be that they may need to start treating all players equally. Currently Berra, Shinnie and Brown play a big role in refereeing games they are involved in and all three get away with far more than any normal player, will they be consulted in the VAR process?

On a more serious note, there surely has to be a middle ground from the VAR we saw at the World Cup compared to what we need and can afford. Surely a monitor at the side of the pitch that the 4th official could review replays on immediately could offer some assistance to the referee.

I hate the phrase already but ‘VAR lite’ surely must be comething that can be considered?!

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    Strike incoming?
    Permanent hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    Strike incoming?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
    I'd be interested in seeing and comparing the Celtic Board statement with that of The Rangers immediately after we beat them 1-2 at Ibrox in which they were highly critical of the referee.

I would think that the The Rangers statement was more critical of the referee. Did Prospect put out a statement then. Maybe it's the death threats that is different this time.

I'm actually embarrassed for Scottish Football that a referee and now I'm assuming his Union could watch the three incidents and say that all is ok. Another example of Scottish football being corrupt to the core.

First Team Breakthrough Fratelli's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Sorry, have to disagree as to how this would have played out had VAR been available.

In this particular instance, yes Beaton allegedly said that he did see all 3 incidents and of course this fits with the narrative of not punishing Morelos retrospectively which will be supported by the Establishment.

However, I simply don’t accept that had Beaton been called to the touch-line on 3 separate occasions to review the incidents that he would have still taken no action.

The current system makes it easy for him to take the easy option and say ‘I saw the incidents but they didn’t warrant any further action’. And make no mistake, all referees know that they can hide behind this...

Putting was it a red card to one side for a moment what beggars belief to me was the ref didn’t even give the player a talking to and warn him about his behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by cammy1969 View Post
    Putting was it a red card to one side for a moment what beggars belief to me was the ref didn’t even give the player a talking to and warn him about his behaviour.

Exactly my thoughts on this as well. If he really did see the incidents then why no talking to the player. Beaton is a cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Correct.

I'll also add that if Beaton did see all 3 incidents involving Morelos and felt that not even one of them was worthy of a red card then that opens up a whole lot of other issues regarding his integrity and fitness to referee professional football matches.

I would take his statement to the tribunal as an admission that he requires further training and demote him until he undertakes further training and assessments.

Quote Originally Posted by Libby Hibby View Post
    Same rule applies to Bartley.

They both play in green. It’s as simple as that.
    Remember Bartley was sent off about 3 times before Christmas and I'm sure at least 2 of them were overturned our last season in the championship.

Maybe the referees should be made to state which team they support so they aren't allowed to referee games involving those clubs? Or maybe deep down the SFA know the majority of them are Celtic or rangers fans so it will never happen.

@hibs.net private member
    VAR is definitely the way forward but it won't fix the underlying bias displayed by referees in our game.

There is also so much inconsistency and a failure to explain why certain decisions are made.

Handball is the one that gets me the most. I've been watching football for 25 years and still don't understand why some are given, some aren't and when a card is given or not. I've read the official rules on it and they just don't seem to translate into the reality of decisions game to game. For instance, how did the Hearts guy (think it was Harring?) not yet booked in the derby? That was a text book case of hand ball and no booking.

There are other rules though where they seem to be deliberately vague to the point that person A would watch multiple replays and say one thing and person B would say the opposite. What constitutes persistent fouling? Some might say 3-4 but we've had cases of opposition players at ER committing 5-6 and not getting carded.

What about interfering in play around offsides? How do you define interfering?

VAR will ensure the worst calls are caught out and fixed but there must be more transparency in why certain decisions are made and as other posters have said, more openness about mistakes and explaining why they were made.

The current view of refs seems to they are semi-Godlike figures who can't be questioned or admit any failure. That has to end.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I'll also add that if Beaton did see all 3 incidents involving Morelos and felt that not even one of them was worthy of a red card then that opens up a whole lot of other issues regarding his integrity and fitness to referee professional football matches.
    Or a yellow card... or even a talking to. He’s a cheat, it’s that simple.