hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar

Compliance officers for refs

Here's a thought.

Lot of controversy after the whole Beaton old firm match.

The officials sometimes appear to do as they please and get away with it unlike players being picked up after the game via the compliance officer (when it suits them)

Anyone think refs should have a compliance officer too and should be banned or demoted for a certain period for making glaring errors and blatant poor decisions? I'm sure they would get paid less money for officiating games in 1st, 2nd division etc.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The problem is these refs are the top refs we currently have in the country hence they ref the top games. The SFA deem the championship, l1, l2 etc refs to be at a lower level so how bad must they be? If we were to ban the top refs then a poorer ref would step in and it wouldn't get us anywhere

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Does this not already exist to a degree?

I'm sure each game has someone present who observes the officials and scores them/reports back on their performance. If it does happen then there is certainly a lack of further action from there. I'm not really of the opinion that refs deliberately cheat, but I do think some improved transparency between SFA-refs-fans would be a step in the right direction.
    Mon the Hibs.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does this not already exist to a degree?

I'm sure each game has someone present who observes the officials and scores them/reports back on their performance. If it does happen then there is certainly a lack of further action from there. I'm not really of the opinion that refs deliberately cheat, but I do think some improved transparency between SFA-refs-fans would be a step in the right direction.
    Obviously not, if there was we would not be having all this war on ref's?
    The man in the stand may well report on what he sees, but its obvious to everyone that nothing is ever done!!
    Unless, of course, he thinks all our ref's are world class, and do no wrong?????

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I think it's a decent idea but the problem is the suits who run the SPFL would appoint Walter Smith with John Greig as his assistant.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is these refs are the top refs we currently have in the country hence they ref the top games. The SFA deem the championship, l1, l2 etc refs to be at a lower level so how bad must they be? If we were to ban the top refs then a poorer ref would step in and it wouldn't get us anywhere
    There isn't a promotion relegation system for refs as far as I know so a ref could be the worst of the lot 2 or 3 years in a row and still ref in the top flight. If they averaged out the marks and the guy with the worst average got dropped at the end of the season then there may be more incentive for the top guys to perform consistently well and fairly.