hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nightshift

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar

Nightshift

Looks like I’ll be starting a new job before the end of the month, 11pm - 7am. Wondering if any Hibees out there have any tips on working nights?

I’ve done some night work in the past and I usually end up sleeping my days away, getting nothing done outside of work.

2. Log in to remove the advert

i work shifts. Nights I actually find easy. I struggle with earlys and trying to go sleep early. when I come off nights I usually go right to bed. mine are 9pm til 7am so I go to bed about 830am and get up about 230pm. on my last night I sleep 830 til about 2ish and then get up and just go to bed earlier.

it helps that it's not permanent nights though.

what is your line of work?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Say goodbye to any form of sleeping pattern you ever had, youll either sleep for scotland or wont sleep at all, im the latter. I do a mix of days and nights in the same week though so I never stood a chance. I sound grumpy, thats because im shattered

11-7 isnt too bad though. You should get a bit of day before you go to work

I’m going to be constant Nightshift so don’t have to worry about changing back to dayshift / backshift.

After years of starting work around lunchtime I really struggle with standard dayshift ie 8am starts, I find myself half asleep until lunchtime and generally pretty unhappy.

My Mrs works 9-5 so the biggest concern is still having time to see her, fitting in the gym and some daylight if possible. Also things like what time to eat etc.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I detested nights, I started them in the summer months years ago, came home at 8am to lovely sunny days so invariably stayed up far too long and never got into a sleeping pattern for months which totally knackered me. So.....my advice is get into a regular sleeping pattern straight away. don’t be tempted to stay up to do other things and you will be fine.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Having worked various shifts over the past 25 years I quite enjoy nights. The one thing I have found is that as I have got older, recovering from the nights is harder.

I try a short (4hr) sleep and catch up the next night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Hermit Crab is your man.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Im similar to Mrs S, I mostly do 9-5 Mon to Thurs then nightshift 10-8 on the Friday, normally I get away between 6-7, home for a coffee then at most just a couple of hours sleep, the adrenalin of working in a busy A&E dept carries me through the shift then the come down helps me get a couple of hours, Ive never managed more than a couple of hours, been doing nights on and off for over 15 years

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Go to bed as soon as you can, after your shift have a quick bite to eat (if you like) but don't bugger about in the house, quick munch then just get to bed.

Buy blackout blinds or curtains, they are a god send, especially during the light summer months.

If you have a bedroom at the quiet side of your house/flat then sleep in there during the day

On your day off get up about lunchtime and stay up then you'll sleep at night meaning you get to enjoy your day off.

It might not seem like it but you get used to it, I've been doing permanent nights now for over 3 years. I love it, driving to/from work is great as theres very little traffic.

Where are you going to be working?
    Last edited by Hermit Crab; 07-01-2019 at 09:44 AM.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go to bed as soon as you can, after your shift have a quick bite to eat (if you like) but don't bugger about in the house, quick munch then just get to bed.

Buy blackout blinds or curtains, they are a god send, especially during the light summer months.

If you have a bedroom at the quiet side of your house/flat then sleep in there during the day

On your day off get up about lunchtime and stay up then you'll sleep at night meaning you get to enjoy your day off.

It might not seem like it but you get used to it, I've been doing permanent nights now for over 3 years. I love it, driving to/from work is great as theres very little traffic.

Where are you going to be working?
    Thanks Hermit, some great tips here.

My new work is only a 15 minute walk from my flat so can get home pretty sharpish.

I was thinking of doing my gym sessions in the morning after work but I’ll try and fit these in evening time and just get home for a kip after reading your advice.

@hibs.net private member
    I don't work nights so just curious - is there a reason it's better to sleep straight after a nightshift? People who work days get up just before work then have their free time after work usually, I thought maybe it'd be same on nights? Just thinking that especially in winter there's not a lot of daylight around so I could see the benefit of making the most of the daylight time after your shift then maybe bed at 3pm, up at 10pm, shower and go to work?

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I don't work nights so just curious - is there a reason it's better to sleep straight after a nightshift? People who work days get up just before work then have their free time after work usually, I thought maybe it'd be same on nights? Just thinking that especially in winter there's not a lot of daylight around so I could see the benefit of making the most of the daylight time after your shift then maybe bed at 3pm, up at 10pm, shower and go to work?
    Don't have any experience of nights so happy to be corrected but could be to do with seeing family/friends between 5 & 10?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Don't have any experience of nights so happy to be corrected but could be to do with seeing family/friends between 5 & 10?
    Aye that would make sense right enough. Don't tell my wife and kids that that thought never crossed my mind!

for me it's usually you are tired after you finish so it's easy to sleep and even if you wake up early you've slept for 5 or 6ish hours. then I get the chance between 4 and 8 to see my partner etc.

I also work a mix of shifts so I try and just sleep when I'm tired too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Thanks Hermit, some great tips here.

My new work is only a 15 minute walk from my flat so can get home pretty sharpish.

I was thinking of doing my gym sessions in the morning after work but I’ll try and fit these in evening time and just get home for a kip after reading your advice.

Another thing is if your new job is hard graft then you'll have no trouble sleeping when you get home as you'll be knackered from your shift.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    For me it was because my days were reversed. I worked 6pm-6am for about 10 weeks non stop. I would go to work, do my 12 hours then go home and go straight to bed, wake up about 3 and then head to work after the gym.

I really enjoyed it but I wouldn't want to do it again.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    When I had to do night shift work, I struggled at the weekends to start with. My working week started Sunday evening at eleven. The nature of the work meant suiting up for a cleanroom at the start of the shift and then suiting down at the end. During the winter months we didn't see any sunshine or natural daylight and that had an odd effect. But you get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    When I had to do night shift work, I struggled at the weekends to start with. My working week started Sunday evening at eleven. The nature of the work meant suiting up for a cleanroom at the start of the shift and then suiting down at the end. During the winter months we didn't see any sunshine or natural daylight and that had an odd effect. But you get used to it.
    I think its down to the individual, I done a few night shifts when I worked at the Brewery, they were brutal, used to fall asleep on the bus home and when I got into bed I didnt get up until tea time. Nowadays I cope fine, normally a couple of hours is enough for me, up take the dog for a walk, shower then ready for the day ahead.

@hibs.net private member
    I fall asleep on the bus home all the time. Tbf its a fairly long journey. Stupidly travelled in uniform once and a guy woke me up to tell me i did a sterling job and did i want wakened up when we got to the hospital.
    Last edited by Jay; 08-01-2019 at 07:06 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    I fall asleep on the bus home all the time. Tbf its a fairly long journey. Stupidly travelled in uniform once and a guy woke me up to tell me i did a sterling job and did i want wakened up when we got to the hospital.
    I thought you were going to say he was going to give you a row for wearing your uniform to/from work instead of changing in the hospital...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I thought you were going to say he was going to give you a row for wearing your uniform to/from work instead of changing in the hospital...
    Im classed as community so.its okay but its something i never do, cant even remember what happened that I did that day.

Mrs S in her nurses uniform. What a sight for sore eyes.

@hibs.net private member
    Behave yersel, our uniforms are like tattie sacks.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Nice to see you smiling HC

Can't be that bad.

Well yours is 😆

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Well yours is 😆
    How do you look **** hot in yours like?

If your comparing me to Hattie Jaques Ill hunt you down!

How do you look **** hot in yours like?

If your comparing me to Hattie Jaques Ill hunt you down!
    My uniform is **** hot.

Haha, ooooh matron!!

@hibs.net private member
    My uniform is **** hot.

Haha, ooooh matron!!
    This is what nightshift does for you people.