hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    VAR takes forever to make a decision and IMO all it does is give a ref even more excuse to bottle big decisions then listen to someone else tell him in his ear what should happen.

I was at UTD v Reading yesterday. 5 mins to decide to award a penalty, that I said to my mates in real time that Fred was offside and that Mata had been fouled. Yet the ref initially gave the offside, then spoke to the linesman, then stood for five minutes listening to his ear piece.

he got it right in the end; but the point is why didn't he get it right without the video, it was obvious.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Surely as long as the decision is right what does it matter? That's the whole point of the system.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Surely as long as the decision is right what does it matter? That's the whole point of the system.
    referees should be getting simple decisions correct. VAR would be fine if it was for difficult or unclear decisions.

we shouldn't be asking for it to cut referee corruption. fact is if corruption exists then they'll find a way even with VAR.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Yip - and it was 2 or 3 minutes (BT sport said). Although I do agree that I thought he was offside and a penalty in first view but I had a different angle to the ref.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    referees should be getting simple decisions correct. VAR would be fine if it was for difficult or unclear decisions.

we shouldn't be asking for it to cut referee corruption. fact is if corruption exists then they'll find a way even with VAR.

They could but there’d be more than 1 person involved in the “corruption” so harder to make work.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    They need to get rid of the ‘if they saw it, nothing can be done’ rule. It’s nonsense. If the referee makes a decision that a panel / the vast majority of right-thinking people consider to be wrong, it should be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    New Rangers have released about three statements this season criticising referees and we hear nothing. Celtic release one statement and suddenly the SFA, the refs themselves and the media hit back hard.
    Interesting.
    Isn’t the reaction more about the subsequent threats to Beaton?

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    There are 3 different systems.

Goal line technology - simple but cost the EPL about £250k per ground to install with annual fees of £85k. Not likely.

VAR - based on SPFL estimates about £5k per match. About £100k per club

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/45567928

Post Match review - should be easy but has been fubar. Use it to identify cheating and serious foul play and take the match referee out of it as others have suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The threats to Beaton will be used as a deflection tactic when the incredible decisions taken by our top refs need to be seriously looked at. Beaton is a grade A hun, he should never be allowed anywhere near a Rangers game.

Too much is done behind closed and locked doors and lends itself to cynicism at best, conspiracy theory at worst.

Give the refs the option to talk, publish full details (sensitive info excepted) from appeals, retrospective decision making and so on. The archaic system causes a lot of the problems.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    Yip - and it was 2 or 3 minutes (BT sport said). Although I do agree that I thought he was offside and a penalty in first view but I had a different angle to the ref.
    there was 5 mins added on at end of first half which I why I said 5 minutes. there wasn't much else happened so I guessed at that.

The refs up here don't appoint themselves, they also don't all decide on coming from one area of the country or what games they referee etc. in that sense there's already plenty complicit.

Sack them all and bring back the Maltese refs

Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Not sure if you are being serious or not but it was a one off thing - who is going to pay for the travelling expenses on a weekly basis? And what happens when one of them makes an error seen on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    The Maltese refs only took on one game and were met with a wave of goodwill from supporters. That wouldn’t last over the course of a season, they would be getting the same same abuse we hand out to Scottish refs after just a few games.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Just publish the refs match report online.

Folk can then agree or disagree to their hearts content but at least it would be transparent.

Interviewing the refs directly after the match would be painful. Who decides what to ask him for starters!

The conspiracy theories would then be that the reporter avoided the difficult questions etc etc. It would also give the media way too much power.

Left by mutual consent!
    After 5 years away I'm going back to referee school next week

Cannae wait to add to the carnage

As a slight departure from the OP a thing that's always bothered me is this: The number of players, coaches and managers who say during interviews (usually in reference to a perceived injustice the referee has carried out) - I'm not sure what the rules are regarding that incident but....

WHY??
    How can this be allowed? These guys (if they're managers) have generally been involved in football on a daily basis for over 30 years FFS! And they happily rant about stuff that's happened, decisions that went against them - AND why those decisions were hopelessly wrong - yet in the next breath admit that they don't know the rules....

Dearie, dearie me.

Part of the BASIC coaching qualification, not yer fancy UEFA Pro blahdy blah license, but the very first qualification every coach (and I'd love to include players) should be made to obtain is the Referee Qualification.

This of course wouldn't stop referee corruption but **** me! I widnae half stop a very, very high percentage of the dross we see, hear and read.

Is there any other sport where the competitors, coaches and management happily admit to not knowing what the rules are?

And as for the fans........😭

Three final points to finish with.

1 - They're LAWS of the game not rules 😉
    2 - A ten second Google search will take you to the FIFA website where said Laws can be read/downloaded.
    3 - FIFA update the Laws every year so it's worth checking during the summer break what's been changed. This helps stop you making a bellend of yourself abusing the ref first game of pre-season.

Edit: No I'm not a ref and/or ever have been!
    Last edited by brianmc; 07-01-2019 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    As a slight departure from the OP a thing that's always bothered me is this: The number of players, coaches and managers who say during interviews (usually in reference to a perceived injustice the referee has carried out) - I'm not sure what the rules are regarding that incident but....

WHY??
    How can this be allowed? These guys (if they're managers) have generally been involved in football on a daily basis for over 30 years FFS! And they happily rant about stuff that's happened, decisions that went against them - AND why those decisions were hopelessly wrong - yet in the next breath admit that they don't know the rules....

Dearie, dearie me.

Part of the BASIC coaching qualification, not yer fancy UEFA Pro blahdy blah license, but the very first qualification every coach (and I'd love to include players) should be made to obtain is the Referee Qualification.

This of course wouldn't stop referee corruption but **** me! I widnae half stop a very, very high percentage of the dross we see, hear and read.

Is there any other sport where the competitors, coaches and management happily admit to not knowing what the rules are?

2 - A ten second Google search will take you to the FIFA website where said Laws can be read/downloaded.
    3 - FIFA update the Laws every year so it's worth checking during the summer break what's been changed. This helps stop you making a bellend of yourself abusing the ref first game of pre-season.

I'd be happy of some of the bell end ex-player co-commentators would research the laws instead of telling us there was contact so its a penalty.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post

WHY??

Dearie, dearie me.

Great having a go at everyone, but this season the SFA themselves had to ask UEFA to clarify the rules after the season had started?????
    To me that is basic!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    I'd be happy of some of the bell end ex-player co-commentators would research the laws instead of telling us there was contact so its a penalty.

The same commentators who criticise the player for going down when there’s contact, then will say that another player didn’t get a foul/penalty because they stayed on their feet - which is it lads? They’re cheats if they go down under minimal contact, but it’s a shame for them if they stay on their feet?

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    It's not the solution to wilful ignorance; I can't believe Beaton witnessed all those incidents involving Morelos and didn't think any of them deserved a red card - it just isn't feasible.
    I totally agree with this, the only feasible assumption I take from his decisions is that he was cheating.
    There is no other logical answer other than that. He’s admitted he seen all three incidents and even to those who would give the benefit of the doubt rather than use the word cheat, this would even have swayed them.

First Team Breakthrough
    At least this has increased interest in the statement league this year. After the high of 2017/18 this season has been a bore fest. Even the Rangers have been struggling this season after starting it as 1/100 favourites to romp it.