hibs.net Messageboard

Can you scatter ashes at Easter road?

I am asking for a friend who's father passed away Tuesday, born and grew up in Leith but moved away to England in the 60s

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I think there is an area set aside behind one or both goal lines where you are allowed to do this, could be wrong but I seem to remember it being mentioned before

First Team Breakthrough
    Hi,

Sorry to hear of your friends loss. I scattered my dad’s ashes there. He wouldn’t have wanted to have been anywhere else.

Message me the details and I’ll find out who is dealing with this now and I can get the details over to you.

Thanks

Tracey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tambo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am asking for a friend who's father passed away Tuesday, born and grew up in Leith but moved away to England in the 60s
    I've seen it done in the past mate, but that was the 80s I think when ER was like a ploughed field at the time. I would imagine with hi tech pitch care and all that these days there may be a technical reason not to allow it.

Better to approach the club directly I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by traceyhibs View Post
    Hi,

Sorry to hear of your friends loss. I scattered my dad’s ashes there. He wouldn’t have wanted to have been anywhere else.

Message me the details and I’ll find out who is dealing with this now and I can get the details over to you.

Thanks

Tracey

I've sent you a PM. I'm happy he got to see us lift the Scottish cup.

First Team Breakthrough
    I've sent you a PM. I'm happy he got to see us lift the Scottish cup.
    Aw glad he did

Left by mutual consent!
    A guy I knew done it on the sly in the East. Just then a large gust of wind occurred and fans in the West got his ashes in their eyes, pies and drinks !

Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    A guy I knew done it on the sly in the East. Just then a large gust of wind occurred and fans in the West got his ashes in their eyes, pies and drinks !
    We scattered our mum's ashes on Calton hill …. and some Chinese tourists

My late mums were scattered in 2014, I spoke to Rod Petrie who gave the details of who to email

Coaching Staff
    I was asked to scatter the ashes of a member of the Oz branch in 2005.

The club were very helpful, and I think Tam McCourt supervised it back then.

He was laid to rest just behind the goals at what is now the Famous Five end.

I did it for a friend of mine a few weeks ago. My mate's Dad used to be a linesman, he contacted the club and set it up.

The person from the club he was meant to meet on the day to do it was called Colin, but he had to leave to deal with a family emergency.

It's quite a poignant thing to do. I'd had a season ticket with my mate for 15 years, so obviously I spent a lot of time with him at Easter Road. It was a bit odd being there with his mum and dad but not him.

They have a little area set aside for it at the bottom of the slope, between the goals and the corner flag.

I was there on the Thursday, 3 days later Flo blasted the winner in at that end against my my mate's dad and brother's team.

Sorry for your friend's loss mate, it's not a nice thing to do but it feels very appropriate to do so.
    Last edited by Smartie; 05-01-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Best to fire a laddie over the fence on a still wind free night

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Unless it has changed in recent years, I think if your passed one is RC then you are meant to scatter on sacred ground only.

Probably the most important thing is what the deceased and/or their close ones want.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 06-01-2019 at 12:52 AM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Unless it has changed in recent years, I think if your passed one is RC then you are meant to scatter on sacred ground only.

Probably the most important thing is what the deceased and/or their close ones want.
    I would have thought anywhere in Scotland was sacred ground … especially that wee patch in Leith But seriously, if folks ashes are to be scattered at Easter Road is it not feasible to get a priest to bless it … I cant see how anybody would object to that.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I would have thought anywhere in Scotland was sacred ground … especially that wee patch in Leith But seriously, if folks ashes are to be scattered at Easter Road is it not feasible to get a priest to bless it … I cant see how anybody would object to that.
    I don't make the rules, I don't call myself Cardinal Mibbes Aye for a reason
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 06-01-2019 at 02:38 AM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Isnt ER the holy ground?