hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Australian situation

Where are people with this situation, where it seems like the Australian National team manager or FA are calling the players in earlier than their teams expected or had agreed ? !!
    From the interviews with both Lennon and Rodgers last week, it seemed that the squad being pulled together before our last games before the winter break wasn't what they expected. So why would it be that way yet, it seems that there is no way of telling them that we pay their wages and need them here for a couple of days to fulfill their obligations to us.
    Surely dates or.an agreement were in place before this has appeared as an issue in the past 2 weeks.

2. Log in to remove the advert

They could have insisted they didn’t play today. Shame we are losing them but that’s international football

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    If Milligan was injured today, where does it lead him with his call up

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where are people with this situation, where it seems like the Australian National team manager or FA are calling the players in earlier than their teams expected or had agreed ? !!
    From the interviews with both Lennon and Rodgers last week, it seemed that the squad being pulled together before our last games before the winter break wasn't what they expected. So why would it be that way yet, it seems that there is no way of telling them that we pay their wages and need them here for a couple of days to fulfill their obligations to us.
    Surely dates or.an agreement were in place before this has appeared as an issue in the past 2 weeks.
    I think you've got that wrong.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    I think you've got that wrong.
    Under FIFA rules should have missed the Rangers games. Oz gave us dispensation and was all agreed some time ago. Never going to play in Derby. Only Celtic have been moaning about it. So says Oz manager

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Under FIFA rules should have missed the Rangers games. Oz gave us dispensation and was all agreed some time ago. Never going to play in Derby. Only Celtic have been moaning about it. So says Oz manager
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Not sure where the OP is coming from.

Coaching Staff
    Yep, not a case of us negotiating with the FFA over their release.

Whether we like it or not....and personally I don’t.....Oz did everything according to FIFA regulations, and even showed a bit leeway to let them play at Ibrox, and the players had to miss the derby.

The Asian Championship is the equivalent of your European Championship, and Oz are current holders.

The African Nations is another tournament that European clubs do not like as several ‘big’ clubs lose players for that.

There is no ‘right or wrong’ to this, and such situations will continue to arise as long as there is international football.

Hibs DID get the option to postpone the derby, but the club chose not to.

@hibs.net private member
    The players should be playing for Hibs.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Unfortunately, FIFA regulations say otherwise.

Not much point debating it.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Lennon was moaning about it as well. He implied there had been some sort of arrangement where we only released two of the players (presumably keeping Boyle I would imagine) before the Hearts game.

Lightbulb

Thanks for the rules clarification folks ....as stated I thought I picked up something questionable in comments made, which now seems strange for it to even have been mentioned if rules exist as have been highlighted.
    The Australian trio's situation really is an issue given the impact its had on their form and performances around the previous breaks.
    It's amazing how McLaren wasnt fit and ready to play for us during at least one of the previous Australian squad get togethers, but of he went and was fine. Milligan is apparently injured, yet will no doubt be fine I expect to Captain them in their first game ! did he invoke the "I should be away with my country rule against Sevco ?" hence not in the squad/injured ?
    Wonder what condition they will be in when they eventually come back ? In reality fitness and sharpness they should be right up there, it's almost a stick on, that at least one will not be fit too play when they come back, and I am going for 2 of them not being ok to play on return.
    Whilst everyone has mixed views in their actual value to us so far this season, I actually think they all add value to us.
    Nothing we can do about it, but having players away for so long and so often, impacts on clubs like ourselves, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasthibby View Post
    Thanks for the rules clarification folks ....as stated I thought I picked up something questionable in comments made, which now seems strange for it to even have been mentioned if rules exist as have been highlighted.
    The Australian trio's situation really is an issue given the impact its had on their form and performances around the previous breaks.
    It's amazing how McLaren wasnt fit and ready to play for us during at least one of the previous Australian squad get togethers, but of he went and was fine. Milligan is apparently injured, yet will no doubt be fine I expect to Captain them in their first game ! did he invoke the "I should be away with my country rule against Sevco ?" hence not in the squad/injured ?
    Wonder what condition they will be in when they eventually come back ? In reality fitness and sharpness they should be right up there, it's almost a stick on, that at least one will not be fit too play when they come back, and I am going for 2 of them not being ok to play on return.
    Whilst everyone has mixed views in their actual value to us so far this season, I actually think they all add value to us.
    Nothing we can do about it, but having players away for so long and so often, impacts on clubs like ourselves, I think.
    With the exception of Boyle (who has only recently agreed to play for Australia) we knew what we were getting into when we signed these guys, especially Milligan who has been a mainstay in the Australia squad for years and has been their captain.

I'm not chuffed at the prospect of going into the derby without them but the club had the option to postpone it and decided not to.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Lennon was moaning about it as well. He implied there had been some sort of arrangement where we only released two of the players (presumably keeping Boyle I would imagine) before the Hearts game.
    That is not what the Australian FA are saying. Only heard from Rogers. They made it clear to Celtic & Hibs the payers stay could be extended to 26th but not longer. Spurs South Korean star is off after boxing day game. Think Rogers just trying it on. This Asian Cup like the European Championships to Europeans. It is big over here an Australia one if the favourites. To avoid this just keep to European players. But outside our pay range so we just have to lump it.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I think it's great for the players and I just hope they come back with a spring in their step, full of confidence and better players for the experience.

Disappointing to lose them for The Derby but it is what it is, no point in moaning about it. I can completely understand why the Oz FA can't give dispensation to one club as they have a big game, if he lets our three play he needs to let Rogic play for Celtic and who knows what can of worms that opens for other European based players.

It's also possible Boyle could have an excellent tournament which could add significant value to him should any clubs be hovering about with interest.

Overall i think it's a good thing that won't do the profile of our club any harm either. We should be good enough to pump Hearts regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Why?

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Why don't these tournaments take place at the same time as the Euros? Loss of TV revenue?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Why don't these tournaments take place at the same time as the Euros? Loss of TV revenue?

I'm guessing for Asian & Australian clubs this is their close season....

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...aren-milligan/

Apologies Sun link.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think it's great for the players and I just hope they come back with a spring in their step, full of confidence and better players for the experience.

Disappointing to lose them for The Derby but it is what it is, no point in moaning about it. I can completely understand why the Oz FA can't give dispensation to one club as they have a big game, if he lets our three play he needs to let Rogic play for Celtic and who knows what can of worms that opens for other European based players.

It's also possible Boyle could have an excellent tournament which could add significant value to him should any clubs be hovering about with interest.

Overall i think it's a good thing that won't do the profile of our club any harm either. We should be good enough to pump Hearts regardless.
    Couldn't agree more with this. Disappointing but there are many positives.

Coaching Staff
    Surprising as it may seem to someone living in Scotland, the football calendar throughout the rest of the world does not necessarily mirror that of the Uk.

Don’t mean that in a sarcastic way, and would have probably said the same thing prior to me emigrating.

Even within Asia, there are different season starting times among the various countries.

Believe it or not but we will have more players missing due to this tournament than any other team in Europe

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    The final is 1st feb. So if they go all the way it would be at least the 8th feb before they are back

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Believe it or not but we will have more players missing due to this tournament than any other team in Europe
    Does that mean we will get a bumper pay out?

It's being played in the UAE, one of the reasons it's not taking place in July is the same as why the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is being played in December.

It's far too hot to play football in that part of the world in July.

With the final of the Tournament scheduled for 1st February, there is a possibility that Australia could progress to the final.

Looking at Hibs league fixtures, they are Motherwell (a) 23/1, St Mirren (a) 27/1 & Aberdeen (h) 2/2.

Given under FIFA rules, we would be entitled to request postponements by having 2+ players involved, I reckon we should seriously consider taking such action, if Australia are still involved.

Does anybody know if we can do this, and how much notice we require to give the SPL?

P.S. I assume we can feel confident enough to take Elgin on in the Cup on 19/1 without the trio.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    The final is 1st feb. So if they go all the way it would be at least the 8th feb before they are back
    Given injuries and the Socceroo squad selected, methinks semi final is probably as far as they will go.

Quote Originally Posted by joebakerforever View Post
    With the final of the Tournament scheduled for 1st February, there is a possibility that Australia could progress to the final.

Looking at Hibs league fixtures, they are Motherwell (a) 23/1, St Mirren (a) 27/1 & Aberdeen (h) 2/2.

Given under FIFA rules, we would be entitled to request postponements by having 2+ players involved, I reckon we should seriously consider taking such action, if Australia are still involved.

Does anybody know if we can do this, and how much notice we require to give the SPL?

P.S. I assume we can feel confident enough to take Elgin on in the Cup on 19/1 without the trio.
    I would seriously consider postponing all three depending on how long the injury list is by then. If it's still as long as it is now we should definitely do it.

We're going to struggle to name a full bench on Saturday.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I would seriously consider postponing all three depending on how long the injury list is by then. If it's still as long as it is now we should definitely do it.

We're going to struggle to name a full bench on Saturday.
    My understanding is that after the Hearts game, it will be monitored on a game by game basis, and if thought necessary, postponements will be requested.

First Team Regular Sproule Three's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    My understanding is that after the Hearts game, it will be monitored on a game by game basis, and if thought necessary, postponements will be requested.
    Complications eh. Who was that daft Hibee with dual citizenship that agreed to sign Boyles paperwork eh ? -;)

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Hibs should have called the Derby off, it wouldn't have been a popular decision but we are missing too many key players for this one from international call ups and otherwise.