hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar

America Roadtrip

Anyone done Route 66 or similar road trips in America?

Ive done a couple in New England and Washington/Philadelphia also Canada and me and the Mrs have really enjoyed them.

We’re thinking about Route 66 April/May next year, all the previous trips we’ve done were all pre-planned through a travel agents and have had quotes for a similar Route 66 holiday. However my wife doesn’t like the pre-planned side of it, and wants to do our own “on the hoof” book as we go trip with no set destination or timescale for each day. That bothers me slightly and I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are?

I’m warming to the idea though but it’s the uncertainty of where I’m going to sleep each night that is concerning me at the moment. I’m not too keen on an RV roadtrip but could be persuaded.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Ive done a couple in New England and Washington/Philadelphia also Canada and me and the Mrs have really enjoyed them.

We’re thinking about Route 66 April/May next year, all the previous trips we’ve done were all pre-planned through a travel agents and have had quotes for a similar Route 66 holiday. However my wife doesn’t like the pre-planned side of it, and wants to do our own “on the hoof” book as we go trip with no set destination or timescale for each day. That bothers me slightly and I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts are?

I’m warming to the idea though but it’s the uncertainty of where I’m going to sleep each night that is concerning me at the moment. I’m not too keen on an RV roadtrip but could be persuaded.
    Think about Seattle to Portland then San Francisco. Can also go by train too.

From there you can go to La or Vegas. Best on a one way drop off.

The route through the Redwood forest is great once in Calif.

Stay maybe in Sausalito and take the ferry to San Francisco.

I'm around the Bay area in May. Can wave as you pass lol.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

On the hoof every day of the week. We did a road trip back in 2008. The only pre planning and organisation we did was book flights to New York, our return flight from San Francisco and hired a 30ft RV for 3 and a half weeks. On arrival in New York we bought a map of the US and hung it on one of the walls and marked it with the things we wanted to see and then joined the dots, that was our route.

We met so many people who were rushing from one location to the next to try and keep to a schedule that they'd planned and booked up to months in advance or people who were running from hotel to hotel because they were having trouble finding rooms available at the last minute, we just rolled into location when we wanted to and were normally amongst the first visitors at the attractions because we'd spent the night before directly on site.

It was one of the best holidays we've had and we definitely plan to do it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some hotels have a voucher system. Say you start with a couple of nights in NY then the hotel would phone ahead to wherever you are going next and do all the arrangements so all you have to do is turn up and do the same again. It might give you the reassurance you're looking for and the randomness for your wife.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    On the hoof every day of the week. We did a road trip back in 2008. The only pre planning and organisation we did was book flights to New York, our return flight from San Francisco and hired a 30ft RV for 3 and a half weeks. On arrival in New York we bought a map of the US and hung it on one of the walls and marked it with the things we wanted to see and then joined the dots, that was our route.

We met so many people who were rushing from one location to the next to try and keep to a schedule that they'd planned and booked up to months in advance or people who were running from hotel to hotel because they were having trouble finding rooms available at the last minute, we just rolled into location when we wanted to and were normally amongst the first visitors at the attractions because we'd spent the night before directly on site.

It was one of the best holidays we've had and we definitely plan to do it again.

What was the cost of hiring the RV, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    What was the cost of hiring the RV, if you don't mind me asking?
    I really can't remember mate. However a quick quote from the company's website that I used back then is throwing up a price of about $2700. I was there between September and October so the prices are off season. Here's a link(hope it works on my phone) to the RV I had on the site I booked it. I think the price is reasonable when you consider it covers nearly all your transport and accommodation costs barring fuel and $15 here and there for campsites. You're also saving on food because of the self catering aspect and grilled t-bone steak and beer every night is also a bonus.

http://www.roadbearrv.com/en/rv-rentals/class-c-28-30

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I really can't remember mate. However a quick quote from the company's website that I used back then is throwing up a price of about $2700. I was there between September and October so the prices are off season. Here's a link(hope it works on my phone) to the RV I had on the site I booked it. I think the price is reasonable when you consider it covers nearly all your transport and accommodation costs barring fuel and $15 here and there for campsites. You're also saving on food because of the self catering aspect and grilled t-bone steak and beer every night is also a bonus.

http://www.roadbearrv.com/en/rv-rentals/class-c-28-30
    How did you find the campsites and generally were they out of town? What I’m unsure about with RV’s was getting through city/town traffic and parking up for meals shopping etc. How did you find it?

Thanks for all the replies too I’ve got a book that lists a northern route from Boston to Seattle which I’m going to check out.

How did you find the campsites and generally were they out of town? What I’m unsure about with RV’s was getting through city/town traffic and parking up for meals shopping etc. How did you find it?

Thanks for all the replies too I’ve got a book that lists a northern route from Boston to Seattle which I’m going to check out.
    Driving over there wasn't a problem Alfie, even the Mrs done her fair share. The roads over there are much wider and most malls and supermarkets have spaces for RV's.

We registered with the National Parks and National Forests who supplied us with a map and tour guide, they really have some breathtaking sites and hook up cost us on average about $15. The only private site we used was in Las Vegas and sometimes we just parked in the car parks of attractions like the Niagara Falls and Mount Rushmore. Most of the National Parks and National Forests sites had honesty boxes where you paid by putting the cash in an envelope and popping it in a box.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I did the 101 from San Francisco to Seattle a few years back after an academic conference in San Fran.

It was one of the most magical experiences I've had - visiting a number of pristine beaches and some of the most awe-inspiring forests I've ever walked through.

Can't recommend it highly enough.