hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moan Moan Moan !

Hibs current plight has shown quite a lot of people to display some real negativity. Like proper vitriol.

I understand to an extent. I’m a bit frustrated but I’ll never let it get me too angry. But there are some who cannot wait for Hibs to get beat so they can have a good moan.

Why?

I’ll generally take the ‘Ach weel’ attitude. I’m not in control of hibs results, and I’ll take what comes our way. And when hibs are *****, I’ll do my best to brush it off then go and do something else.

Yes, we’re not great this season, but we’ve been a lot worse. And yes, we are a club that generally doesn’t meet its potential.

But I’ll still never understand the constant moaners. If you don’t get any fun out of watching hibs, why bother? I don’t spend money going to a concert then moan about it afterwards?

The moaners really defy logic. I’m not having a pop, just trying to understand why people will put time and money into a hobby that just p!sses them off?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    The younger generation tend to use other forms of social media, message boards like this are the domain of middle aged man and moaning is what middle aged man does best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The younger generation tend to use other forms of social media, message boards like this are the domain of middle aged man and moaning is what middle aged man does best.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

Ach there’s a fair bit of ill informed fury across other social media too!

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    So far our ‘biggest playing budget’ which apparently means the entire football department; has delivered us an 8th place league position.

That could be a contributing factor perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    So far our ‘biggest playing budget’ which apparently means the entire football department; has delivered us an 8th place league position.

Yep.

Expectation levels have been raised.

Expectations have not been met (so far) although we're only halfway through the season.

We've had some decent results and performances but we've also had some awful ones. The home games against St Johnstone, Dundee and St.Mirren were particularly disappointing. I know we're in "if my auntie had baws" territory here, but if we'd taken full points from those 3 very winnable games we'd be in a fantastic position.

As it stands, we're looking to do more business in January than any of us would have expected.

If my aunty had baws, Aunty Colin would still acknowledge we've had ridiculous luck with injuries this season. Certain teams had good starts to the season and some had bad starts. Hearts, The Rangers and Livingston are all on their way down. Celtic and Aberdeen are on their way up. Hopefully we will be too. We have some players returning from injury and some money to spend in the transfer window. Unbeaten in six games despite the injury problems. Not looking too bad.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Ach there’s a fair bit of ill informed fury across other social media too!
    I gave up Facebook recently and glad I did. Some of the Hibs groups on there were truly spectacular in their anger and bile

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Yep.

Expectation levels have been raised.

Expectations have not been met (so far) although we're only halfway through the season.

We've had some decent results and performances but we've also had some awful ones. The home games against St Johnstone, Dundee and St.Mirren were particularly disappointing. I know we're in "if my auntie had baws" territory here, but if we'd taken full points from those 3 very winnable games we'd be in a fantastic position.

As it stands, we're looking to do more business in January than any of us would have expected.
    What were you expecting from us for this season?

What were you expecting from us at this stage of the season?

Just trying to get a guage on expectation levels.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post

To be challenging for top four again.

To be in at least the top six.

Anything less than that is unacceptable for us.

We need a signing that will bolster both sqaud and fans,its clear recruitment was unbalanced in the summer.a wee marquee headhunted midfielder would be nice,but we will end up with a loan deal patchwork.I would like to see a player with obvious talent identified and signed permanantly from a club who like us with mcginn had not much wiggle room to negotiate,but still recieved a generous offer for a good player,instead of the loan market,where its hit and miss.my expectations for hibs are challenge for the cups n titles,the day that changes is the day ive gave up on football,I want to go in to a season believing this is our year! And seeing easter road full more often than not im guessing most feel the same these days,but we have to be competing in the market with bigger ambition for the wheels to keep turning.the summer window we hit a bump in the road,still glad we didny fill the sqaud with keek,but we need to be back on track ,and trust the guys who brought us undoubted success in the background! And most of all feed the hungry manager we have,cause if lennons happy with the sqaud that means we are on a path to glory.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Hibs current plight has shown quite a lot of people to display some real negativity. Like proper vitriol.

I understand to an extent. I’m a bit frustrated but I’ll never let it get me too angry. But there are some who cannot wait for Hibs to get beat so they can have a good moan.

Why?

I’ll generally take the ‘Ach weel’ attitude. I’m not in control of hibs results, and I’ll take what comes our way. And when hibs are *****, I’ll do my best to brush it off then go and do something else.

Yes, we’re not great this season, but we’ve been a lot worse. And yes, we are a club that generally doesn’t meet its potential.

But I’ll still never understand the constant moaners. If you don’t get any fun out of watching hibs, why bother? I don’t spend money going to a concert then moan about it afterwards?

The moaners really defy logic. I’m not having a pop, just trying to understand why people will put time and money into a hobby that just p!sses them off?
    Success of recent years - cup, championship, 4th in league, Europe and dominating Hearts had brought the fickle fans out. As soo as it get a bit sicky they all throw their tots out the pram. I have supported them from 1970 through thick and thin. Watched some great teams and some terrible ones. But always backed them no matter what. Not to say I don't criticise at times. Time the new fickle periphery became real fans. They have to recognise this is a transition season which has been hit by injuries and international call ups. Time for them to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Success of recent years - cup, championship, 4th in league, Europe and dominating Hearts had brought the fickle fans out. As soo as it get a bit sicky they all throw their tots out the pram. I have supported them from 1970 through thick and thin. Watched some great teams and some terrible ones. But always backed them no matter what. Not to say I don't criticise at times. Time the new fickle periphery became real fans. They have to recognise this is a transition season which has been hit by injuries and international call ups. Time for them to grow up.
    That’s what I’m getting at. Over the years everyone must surely realise that hibs will generally let you down. It doesn’t stop us from wanting better, but if the fickle moaners get so worked up about it, they’re better off doing something else with their time.

But they hang around for a good moan.

Weird.

Speak for yourself. As a middle aged, we'll mature middle aged let's say, it constantly gets on my wick why so many people are so negative. Yes we aren't where we would like to be but we've just played three games against the ugly sisters and taken five points and lost one goal. We would have been delighted with that any other season.
    I think the issue is that last season has whetted the appetite and anything else now leads to moans forgetting one of our greatest days was when we were in the championship playing in front of much smaller. crowds most weeks.
    We have had an horrendous injury list which we didn't have last season plus of course we don't have our midfield from the last campaign. It's a strange league where our current points total would normally have us fifth in the league but it's an 8-4 split which I can't remember happening.
    Were unbeaten in six and have hertz tomorrow. Win that and we will be one point off fifth. Even a draw leaves us four off fifth. Hopefully we will have better luck with I juries but ryan and Lewis are now crocked but at least we have the winter break coming up. Let's moan when it's the right time. Unbeaten in six and just got a point at sevco isn't imho the time to be moaning. Each to their own.
    Last edited by mjhibby; 28-12-2018 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

It is sir. But that’s not my question. There are many who display such frustration and anger that you have to wonder why they bother putting themselves through it?

Don’t you think that Tiddlywinks or walking the dog would be a better option for these people?

After having heard Hibs crow about their biggest ever budget and with the wages and transfer fees from the departures of McGinn, McGeouch and Allan to chuck in with record season ticket sales, I'd have expected a cohesive midfield and decent striking options to cover for injury and loss of form.

In many ways I think Neil Lennon's done quite well with what he's had.

I don't go for the whole expectation regarding league position etc halfway through a season, as there is much that can yet change.

There are some promising signs but glaring deficiencies, and when Efe is being linked with a move away that leaves us with an on loan goalkeeper as the brightest thing going forward. I suppose you could chuck in the recent emergence of Porteous and Mackie, and Mallan has certainly had his moments.

If that's what Hibs have to show for their biggest budget ever, it makes you think twice about rolling up next season and providing them with more.

I'm fair chuffed to be described as middle aged seeing as my next big occasion will be four score years.

Thanks for cheering me up on a dull morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    To be challenging for top four again.

To be in at least the top six.

Anything less than that is unacceptable for us.
    In principle I agree. I could 'suffer' a bottom six finish if some tangible tragedy hit us, like multiple leg breaks or something equally ridiculous.

Thankfully both those targets are attainable. Top 4 will be difficult, but I think we will finish top 6 comfortably in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    After having heard Hibs crow about their biggest ever budget and with the wages and transfer fees from the departures of McGinn, McGeouch and Allan to chuck in with record season ticket sales, I'd have expected a cohesive midfield and decent striking options to cover for injury and loss of form.

In many ways I think Neil Lennon's done quite well with what he's had.

I don't go for the whole expectation regarding league position etc halfway through a season, as there is much that can yet change.

There are some promising signs but glaring deficiencies, and when Efe is being linked with a move away that leaves us with an on loan goalkeeper as the brightest thing going forward. I suppose you could chuck in the recent emergence of Porteous and Mackie, and Mallan has certainly had his moments.

If that's what Hibs have to show for their biggest budget ever, it makes you think twice about rolling up next season and providing them with more.
    That's a fair enough summary. As is correctly pointed out on here replacing that midfield was never going to be easy. I suppose maclarens lack of goals and form can't be legislated for as I for one believed we were going to get a player who'd managed a great goals per minute ratio. Other players have lost form, such a Boyler and hanlon, and some have been absolutely outstanding such as Efe and as you pointed out our goalie situation is very strong.

Anyway I suppose it's how much credit you put into football budgets, we probably still have less than hearts and Aberdeen. Last season we should have finished second and on the end although through performances and home record it has been an impressive season, it felt a bit deflating not to be runners up. However in budget terms we punched above our weight massively.

Should we have better for 18/19 budget? I guess January will help shape that answer but at the moment things could have went better, we've been unlucky I feel at times but for me, and like yourself, I still feel the manager is doing a good enough job.

At this point we are probably looking at a top 5th or 6th finish but a good run in the Scottish isn't impossible with this squad. Just hoping we can add some quality in midfield and forward positions and we can replicate last season's second half form.

Ggtth

It is sir. But that’s not my question. There are many who display such frustration and anger that you have to wonder why they bother putting themselves through it?

Don’t you think that Tiddlywinks or walking the dog would be a better option for these people?
    I sit beside a guy at Easter Road who gets himself in that much of a state, I wonder why he bothers.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    That's a fair enough summary. As is correctly pointed out on here replacing that midfield was never going to be easy. I suppose maclarens lack of goals and form can't be legislated for as I for one believed we were going to get a player who'd managed a great goals per minute ratio. Other players have lost form, such a Boyler and hanlon, and some have been absolutely outstanding such as Efe and as you pointed out our goalie situation is very strong.

Anyway I suppose it's how much credit you put into football budgets, we probably still have less than hearts and Aberdeen. Last season we should have finished second and on the end although through performances and home record it has been an impressive season, it felt a bit deflating not to be runners up. However in budget terms we punched above our weight massively.

Should we have better for 18/19 budget? I guess January will help shape that answer but at the moment things could have went better, we've been unlucky I feel at times but for me, and like yourself, I still feel the manager is doing a good enough job.

At this point we are probably looking at a top 5th or 6th finish but a good run in the Scottish isn't impossible with this squad. Just hoping we can add some quality in midfield and forward positions and we can replicate last season's second half form.

Ggtth
    Just to pick up on a couple of points, “last season we should have finished second”, should we have? My take on it was that because of the poor summer window last season the first half of the season meant that even with title winning form from February onwards we left too much too do to finish higher than fourth. A mistake we may very well be in the process of making once again, time will tell.

I’m also not sure I agree with “in budget terms we punched above our weight massively”. In a Scottish football context I’m not sure finishing 4th can be classed as massively punching above our weight. It’s a good finish, but probably there or there abouts for where we should be finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Just to pick up on a couple of points, “last season we should have finished second”, should we have? My take on it was that because of the poor summer window last season the first half of the season meant that even with title winning form from February onwards we left too much too do to finish higher than fourth. A mistake we may very well be in the process of making once again, time will tell.

I’m also not sure I agree with “in budget terms we punched above our weight massively”. In a Scottish football context I’m not sure finishing 4th can be classed as massively punching above our weight. It’s a good finish, but probably there or there abouts for where we should be finishing.
    I thought at the time we should have finished second, a result at tynecastle, even a draw would have put a different slant onto the final day shootout between us, Der Hun and the Dons and I thought generally speaking, on performances we were the best footballing team bar Celtic that season. But we did fall short so a pretty big case can be made for not being as strong as maybe my misty eyed memory makes us seem. You're totally right that the first half of the season hamstrung us a bit, too many draws iirc (sounds familiar!)

I think our budget was season was some way short of our rivals, however not far off second (5-6 points in the end?) With a record points haul is punching, in my opinion, when there's 4 teams who should be comfortably ahead of us with their superior budgets.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I thought at the time we should have finished second, a result at tynecastle, even a draw would have put a different slant onto the final day shootout between us, Der Hun and the Dons and I thought generally speaking, on performances we were the best footballing team bar Celtic that season. But we did fall short so a pretty big case can be made for not being as strong as maybe my misty eyed memory makes us seem. You're totally right that the first half of the season hamstrung us a bit, too many draws iirc (sounds familiar!)

I think our budget was season was some way short of our rivals, however not far off second (5-6 points in the end?) With a record points haul is punching, in my opinion, when there's 4 teams who should be comfortably ahead of us with their superior budgets.
    Is our playing budget that much smaller than Hearts? I know we’re quite a bit behind Aberdeen but I thought there wasn’t masses between Hearts and ourselves?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Is our playing budget that much smaller than Hearts? I know we’re quite a bit behind Aberdeen but I thought there wasn’t masses between Hearts and ourselves?
    It's one of those Hibs.net assumptions.

No-one outside of the respective clubs would actually know.

And we should also make a distinction between "budget" and "spend". The two things can be very different.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    It's one of those Hibs.net assumptions.

No-one outside of the respective clubs would actually know.

And we should also make a distinction between "budget" and "spend". The two things can be very different.

I’m sure there was something on here that showed the average wage and total wage budget for each team in the Scottish Premiership. Probably not accurate in the slightest mind you but I’m sure it put Hearts ahead of us by not by a huge amount.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    I’m sure there was something on here that showed the average wage and total wage budget for each team in the Scottish Premiership. Probably not accurate in the slightest mind you but I’m sure it put Hearts ahead of us by not by a huge amount.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishFoot...es_break_down/

Think this was for last season, no idea how accurate it might be.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Was based on a set of assumptions that had little reliable basis.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishFoot...es_break_down/

Think this was for last season, no idea how accurate it might be.
    That was it. As CWG said though, will be a load of nonsense.

First Team Breakthrough
    No sure i've quite got this. A moan about the moaners?

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Nah, they’d just end up moaning about it.