hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Amazon Prime

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,830

    Amazon Prime

    I know it has a poor tax record, if it pays any at all, and that it treats it's employees poorly, but my word the Prime service can be spectacular.

    We had a very slow draining shower yesterday so I searched for a highly recommended drain unblocker.

    HG Liquid Drain Unblocker ticked all the boxes and Amazon had for the best price, so I ordered it at 6.00pm last night.

    It arrived at 10.02am!

    That's impressive.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 24-12-2018 at 03:35 PM.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it has a poor tax record, if it pays any at all, and that it treats it's employees poorly, but my word the Prime service can be spectacular.

    We had a very slow draining shower yesterday so I searched for a highly recommended drain unblocked.

    HG Liquid Drain Unblocker ticked all the boxes and Amazon had for the best price, so I ordered it at 6.00pm last night.

    It arrived at 10.02am!

    That's impressive.
    I hope it wasnít delivered by a drone 😄

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope it wasnít delivered by a drone 😄
    I was wondering why there were armed police outside the house! 🚔🚔🚔
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it has a poor tax record, if it pays any at all, and that it treats it's employees poorly, but my word the Prime service can be spectacular.

    We had a very slow draining shower yesterday so I searched for a highly recommended drain unblocker.

    HG Liquid Drain Unblocker ticked all the boxes and Amazon had for the best price, so I ordered it at 6.00pm last night.

    It arrived at 10.02am!

    That's impressive.
    I buy quite a lot with Prime and would generally agree with your sentiments. However, and itís probably more to do with the individual driver than Amazon, but nothing more frustrating than a delivery update saying they tried to deliver but weíre unable to when clearly the driver couldnít be bothered and never did try. Happens quite frequently.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    28,265
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I buy quite a lot with Prime and would generally agree with your sentiments. However, and itís probably more to do with the individual driver than Amazon, but nothing more frustrating than a delivery update saying they tried to deliver but weíre unable to when clearly the driver couldnít be bothered and never did try. Happens quite frequently.
    Always wondered why you canít ask for a parcel to be left behind a gate etc
    I can do this when I get a delivery from DHL

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,830
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I buy quite a lot with Prime and would generally agree with your sentiments. However, and itís probably more to do with the individual driver than Amazon, but nothing more frustrating than a delivery update saying they tried to deliver but weíre unable to when clearly the driver couldnít be bothered and never did try. Happens quite frequently.
    That doesn't happen to me as I have a safe place to leave things, but as you say, that's the driver's fault and it'll happen with all the delivery companies.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always wondered why you canít ask for a parcel to be left behind a gate etc
    I can do this when I get a delivery from DHL
    Prime do allow you to specify a safe place to leave it, which we could do now weíve just bought a house. Previously, I was in a flat where you needed buzzed through two doors so wasnít anywhere safe for me to ask for it to be left.

    Now, as weíre a brand new estate, and despite me adding detailed instructions onto my account, more often than not deliveries just say they canít deliver without ever phoning me etc and clearly not reading the delivery instructions on my account.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Always wondered why you canít ask for a parcel to be left behind a gate etc
    I can do this when I get a delivery from DHL
    You can, Billy and it works perfectly for me.

    Here's a screenshot of the options you can choose;

    Screenshot_20181224-162637_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    57
    Posts
    28,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can, Billy and it works perfectly for me.

    Here's a screenshot of the options you can choose;

    Screenshot_20181224-162637_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Concierge🤣

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,221
    I use amazon prime a lot (probably too much ), and generally itís a great service. If there is any issues (Iíve had a few myself), contacting amazon to complain usually ends up with either a free month or a credit on your account.

    as has been said, any issues generally lie with the driver, it seems like most of the deliveries are subcontracted couriers, who need to get their delivery done as fast as possible.

  12. #11
    3pts away from home - i'm a happy glory hunter. jonty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Dunfermline
    Age
    45
    Posts
    23,116
    Blog Entries
    4
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jonty Wii Code: 7580 5998 4272 1376
    what annoys me about their prime service is that even though goods are advertised as prime, they might not be next day delivery.
    Nothing more annoying that filtering by 'prime' products, only to find it's going to turn up in 3-5 days.

    In that case, I don't know why they bother marking the account as prime, unless its solely for the free deliver (which many items have anyway)

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what annoys me about their prime service is that even though goods are advertised as prime, they might not be next day delivery.
    Nothing more annoying that filtering by 'prime' products, only to find it's going to turn up in 3-5 days.

    In that case, I don't know why they bother marking the account as prime, unless its solely for the free deliver (which many items have anyway)
    Yup.
    Did the trial and thats what put me off becoming a prime member (if thats the right term?)

  14. #13
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    321
    Did the product work as advertised ?

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bellevue
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can, Billy and it works perfectly for me.

    Here's a screenshot of the options you can choose;

    Screenshot_20181224-162637_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    I took in an Amazon delivery for my neighbour at the weekend. They had said to leave it in their safe place but the driver decided to put it into me as he didnít think their safe place looked very safe

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,830
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I took in an Amazon delivery for my neighbour at the weekend. They had said to leave it in their safe place but the driver decided to put it into me as he didnít think their safe place looked very safe
    That's pretty good of him, really.

    Either that or he's had packages go missing from safe places before and doesn't want suspicions to fall on him.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  17. #16
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,558
    I live in Newcraighall and had a missed delivery from UPS so they left it at a UPS pickup location...the Jet Garage in Tranent! That's about 6 miles away!

  18. #17
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it has a poor tax record, if it pays any at all, and that it treats it's employees poorly, but my word the Prime service can be spectacular.

    We had a very slow draining shower yesterday so I searched for a highly recommended drain unblocker.

    HG Liquid Drain Unblocker ticked all the boxes and Amazon had for the best price, so I ordered it at 6.00pm last night.

    It arrived at 10.02am!

    That's impressive.
    Prime was really good but theyíve started to change the benefits. I used to be able to get weekend deliveries on most things but thatís no longer available. As I canít get deliveries to my work it means I just donít buy from them. Some other online companies are beating them for service on this. I got same day delivery from a clothing company recently (although this is just for London at the moment).

  19. #18
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22,005
    We've been using Amazon Prime and enjoying the service for years, but we've stopped using them for most things because of the stuff you read about them as a company. Yeah its cheap but on the back of slave wages, shocking working conditions and tax dodging on a massive scale. And its just too big. A monopoly of massive companies will inevitably lead to less choice.

    In terms of the speed of service, a lot of companies have equally as good service. I went to Urban Outfitters on Princes Street yesterday lunchtime to return a xmas present, signed a form, ordered a new size. I received it at 10am this morning, less than 24 hours after I spoke to the girl in the shop!

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Craggy Island
    Posts
    4,517
    To put your delivery times in perspective...

    I got a letter from RBS saying new credit cards would be sent out. This was in the middle of November. 3 weeks later nothing had turned up. I called the card centre and arranged for more new cards to be sent to my branch for collection owing to issues in my new flat (no letterboxes on the doors, just 'not yet active' central boxes on the ground floor). They said they'd send them out 1st class Royal Mail to the branch immediately. That was Dec 13th. Still nothing has arrived. In the meantime, one of the original cards turned up last Friday (not both)... Useless however, because all previous cards had by now been cancelled. Whatever you think of courier companies (or their drivers) none of them are as bad as our esteemed Royal Mail

  21. #20
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,012
    I buy clothes and stuff from Europe on occassion and it is so easy. The tracking is excellent and deilivery is swift.

    Buying from the US and Aus/NZ by contrast is a nightmare talikg ages with no idea if you good have vanished or are delayed and then you can add 35% for duty and handling if customs decide to intercept it.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,830
    A new and impressive aspect of Amazon's service is that after they left my parcel in my safe place, they sent me a photo of it there.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Ozyhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    15,919
    https://www.smartparcelbox.com/smart...SABEgJhDfD_BwE

    Iím surprised more people donít have one of these? Not cheap but with all the parcels we get Iím getting one installed soon to save me chasing up missed deliveries.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Craggy Island
    Posts
    4,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.smartparcelbox.com/smart...SABEgJhDfD_BwE

    Iím surprised more people donít have one of these? Not cheap but with all the parcels we get Iím getting one installed soon to save me chasing up missed deliveries.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have one because I have f***wit landlords. The Mailboxes I mentioned in my post above are now 'active'... and about 2 inches wide inside... Very practical when Amazon come calling

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Andy Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a lorry
    Posts
    1,742
    Not sure if they do it in this area but Prime members can have deliveries left in the boot of certain models of Volvos (from 2015 IIRC) and they'll take a video of the delivery. They have some kind of software which logs onto Volvo online and allows them to unlock the boot, leave the parcel, then lock it again. You just have to tell them the area the car will be in.

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff hibsbollah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    48
    Posts
    22,005
    Im buying an academic textbook, £19.99 is the cheapest I could get it on Amazon, just phoned Blackwells bookshop on South Bridge (which I will forever know as James Thins), and got it for £13odd.
    Which goes to show that not everything is cheaper from the tax avoiders. #shoplocal

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The beautiful City of York
    Posts
    38,830
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im buying an academic textbook, £19.99 is the cheapest I could get it on Amazon, just phoned Blackwells bookshop on South Bridge (which I will forever know as James Thins), and got it for £13odd.
    Which goes to show that not everything is cheaper from the tax avoiders. #shoplocal
    They're all tax avoiders, but you're right, shopping around is the way to go.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im buying an academic textbook, £19.99 is the cheapest I could get it on Amazon, just phoned Blackwells bookshop on South Bridge (which I will forever know as James Thins), and got it for £13odd.
    Which goes to show that not everything is cheaper from the tax avoiders. #shoplocal
    Iíve been a long time seller on Amazon for about a decade, also buy and have Prime too. They used to be the cheapest option out of all the brick and mortar stores here in the US. What they have basically done is put the competition out of business, got the majority of people hooked on Prime and jacked up the prices. They are no longer the cheapest option any more. I price check quite a bit, and I can always usually find it cheaper else where.

    They have created a monopoly with little to no competition online anymore. Thatís never a good thing IMO.

  29. #28
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    10,695
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíve been a long time seller on Amazon for about a decade, also buy and have Prime too. They used to be the cheapest option out of all the brick and mortar stores here in the US. What they have basically done is put the competition out of business, got the majority of people hooked on Prime and jacked up the prices. They are no longer the cheapest option any more. I price check quite a bit, and I can always usually find it cheaper else where.

    They have created a monopoly with little to no competition online anymore. Thatís never a good thing IMO.
    They've gone the same way as eBay. Amazon will be the top of any search engine lists but they're no longer the cheapest platform anymore. I saved about Ä200 euro compared to the cheapest drone I was after compared to Amazon by shopping around.

  30. #29
    hibsbollah... wrote
    Im buying an academic textbook, £19.99 is the cheapest I could get it on Amazon, just phoned Blackwells bookshop on South Bridge (which I will forever know as James Thins), and got it for £13odd.
    Which goes to show that not everything is cheaper from the tax avoiders. #shoplocal
    Yep i found the same with a few records that have been released. Fopp on Rose Street managed to match their price on 2 of them and beat there price on one of them.

  31. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im buying an academic textbook, £19.99 is the cheapest I could get it on Amazon, just phoned Blackwells bookshop on South Bridge (which I will forever know as James Thins), and got it for £13odd.
    Which goes to show that not everything is cheaper from the tax avoiders. #shoplocal
    I bought my boys SQA books in November to help with highers and adv highers. Found a bookstore in England stocked them at half the price than anywhere else. Took a fair bit of googling bookshops but saved me a fair bit.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved