hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bringbackbenny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree, great read some of the anecdotes are laugh out loud esp towards the end of the Teardrops.

Another is My Magpie eyes are hungry for the prize in depth story of Creation Records from the very start of the wee club early 80's London through to the excess days of Oasis. Sadly the author died over the Xmas period.

Seems to be out of print at the mo but worth picking up 2nd hand if any come up.
    Was sad to see John Cavanagh had died. Great music journalist and nice guy. I haven't read the book above but it's on my list. Another book he wrote which is very good is Good Night and Good Riddance: How 35 Years of John Peel Helped to Shape Modern Life

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    A few of my favourites:-

Diary of a Rock and Roll Star, Ian Hunter. One of the best

Detroit 67, as mentioned. Memphis 68 better be in my stocking tomorrow. Not read any of Cosgroves books yet but are on the list

Hardcore Troubadour, the Life and Near Death of Steve Earle.

The Hacienda, as mentioned.

Hotel California, Barney Hoskyns Been on the shelf for a long time waiting to be read

Musgrave of the Marshes, John and Sheila Peel. Read this as soon as it was released

Reelin In The Years, Mark Radcliffe

Born To Run, Bruce.

Ronnie, Ronnie Wood

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Crystal Zevon.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I am a music obsessive who has a bad habit of buying music related books but not getting round to reading them!
    I should make a big effort to read them this year including some in your list above.

Got the Lilly Allen book for Christmas, ploughing through it. Big fan of her music, hard to work out what I think of her so far

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Reading Then Came The Great Divide by Tony Butler. Interesting stuff if you’re a fan of Big Country in any way.

Not read it myself but Chris Difford Of Squeeze’s book is supposed to be excellent it’s on my list.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    Redemption Song - Joe Strummer
    Cured - Two Ordinary Boys, Lol Tolhurst and Robert Smith from the Cure
    Then Came the Great Divide (A reflection of the post Stuart Adamson years of Big Country) by Bassist Tony Butler
    A couple of Pogues books

On my wish list - Adventures of a Waterboy from Mike Scott
    Got "Strange Boat" by Ian Abrahams,sure he used to write for Sounds......
    Had loads of them at the side of my bed until I discovered alcohol in 1980.
    Sadly barfed over the whole lot.

ANYTHING by Rick Wakeman.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Bagged the audiobook of Life - by Keith Richards the other week. Really enjoying it :)
    I wanted to read how the Stones came up with some of the famous riffs and hits but was disappointed. The book has too much stuff about drugs and guns etc which doesn't interest me.

The book by Bill Wyman was more informative about the music.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I wanted to read how the Stones came up with some of the famous riffs and hits but was disappointed. The book has too much stuff about drugs and guns etc which doesn't interest me.

Will be sure to check that after!

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post

Apparently Wyman kept detailed diaries throughout his career which both Jagger and Richards used to refresh their memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    Apparently Wyman kept detailed diaries throughout his career which both Jagger and Richards used to refresh their memories.
    He was a fan as well as a group member if that's possible!
    The chapter on his second marriage is a bit cringe-making.
    He's 82 now!

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Believe it or not they’ve made a film out of the book and it’s on Netflix next year

Meet Me In the Bathroom is essential for anyone with any interest in the New York music scene. Really interesting account as it’s all quotes from interviews with the guilty partners including the Strokes descending into heroin

Have Gun Will Travel: The Rise And Fall Of Death Row Records is amazing.
    Got round to reading “Meet me in the bathroom” - I’m 80% through it anyway. Brilliant read on so many bands that I loved over the years.

It did make me think again about how I perceive The Strokes. Were always heroes to me and I hadn’t really stopped to think that they didn’t actually sell that many records. Or really think about their progression or lack thereof and how they struggled themselves to really know what they wanted from their music.

It does also capture that time when you basically found out about the next band via NME. And they were just lifting their content from New York bloggers! What a time to come up in NYC.

Interesting to see how much of a prick Ryan Adams seems to be also, after the stories that broke about him last year.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’m reading Stuart Cosgrove’s new book “Cassius X”, very much in the mould of his soul trilogy I mention in the opening post. It’s about Mohamed Ali (still Cassius Clay at this point) in Miami in ‘63 and the social and political landscape of black power, Malcolm X etc through the prism of of his love of soul and friendship with the likes of Sam Cooke & Dee Dee Sharpe.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’m reading Stuart Cosgrove’s new book “Cassius X”, very much in the mould of his soul trilogy I mention in the opening post. It’s about Mohamed Ali (still Cassius Clay at this point) in Miami in ‘63 and the social and political landscape of black power, Malcolm X etc through the prism of of his love of soul and friendship with the likes of Sam Cooke & Dee Dee Sharpe.
    Reading that too...like his story telling style - enjoying it so far - even though I’m not a big boxing fan ..the social and political story is deeply interesting

I've just finished Bruce Dickenson's book. What does this button do?

Would recommend.

Surprised none of these have been mentioned (or I've missed them?) (or maybe it's an age thing?:

The Beatles - "The Beatles Anthology"

Paul McCartney (Barry Miles) - "Many Years From Now"
    John Lennon (Jan. S. Wenner) - "Lennon Remembers - The Full Rolling Stone Interview"

Ian MacDonald - "Revolution in the Head"

Brian Wilson - "I am Brian Wilson: The Genius Behind the Beach Boys"

Bob Dylan - "Chronicles - Volume One"

Sting - "Broken Music"

Elvis Costello - "Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink"

Kent Hartman - "The Wrecking Crew: The Inside Story of Rock & Roll's Best-Kept Secret"

Collection of Tom Waits interviews (MacM Montandon) - "Innocent When You Dream"