hibs.net Messageboard

Threaded View

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Music Book Recommendations

A couple of posts on the Holy Ground got me thinking about starting this thread. So, what music books have you read that you would recommend?

I’ll kick off the recommendations

Young Soul Rebels (Stuart Cosgrove) - the Northern Soul scene.

Detroit 67 (Stuart Cosgrove) - the first of a trilogy of books. Telling the story of the Mowtown label and developing Garage Rock scene in 1967 Detroit, as well as the political unrest that year.

Memphis 68 (Stuart Cosgrove) - the second book of the trilogy around the soul scene and civil right movement in 1968.

Harlem 69 - (Stuart Cosgrove) haven’t got round to reading it yet but loved the other two books above.

Hacienda - How Not To Run A Club (Peter Hook). Humorous and interesting story of the fortunes New Order lost, and didn’t know they were losing, in owning the Hacienda nightclub.

Japrocksampler (Julian Cope) - the 60s rock n roll scene in post war Japan

Krautrocksampler (Julian Cope) - the 60s & 70s music scene in Germany

Other biographies that were decent enough were Rick Buckler (The Jam), Louise Werner (Sleeper). Tim Book Two: Vinyl Adventures from Istanbul to San Francisco (Tim Burgess).

Think Santa is bringing me Roger Daltrey’s recent biography (Thanks A Lot Mr Kibblewhite) which should be interesting.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 23-12-2018 at 10:32 PM.