hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Targeted ads

Targeted ads

Is there anything you can do to stop this? I dont mind ads in the free versions of some apps but the targeted ones are annoying and a bit spooky 🤢
    Ive just been looking at hotels in Koh Larn in Thailand on booking.com and have been shown these very hotels in two other different apps. Im a bit paranoid and deny almost every permission an app asks for so how are these ads still getting through?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is there anything you can do to stop this? I dont mind ads in the free versions of some apps but the targeted ones are annoying and a bit spooky 🤢
    Ive just been looking at hotels in Koh Larn in Thailand on booking.com and have been shown these very hotels in two other different apps. Im a bit paranoid and deny almost every permission an app asks for so how are these ads still getting through?
    A few months ago for a wee project I had going I needed an image of a 5 pointed star. I went into google and when I typed in 'images of' the search box defaulted to 'a five pointed star' ….. of all the millions of possible options why the hell did it default to that? …. I swear I had never done a previous search for such a thing in any social media or search engine.

How's that for spooky … now where's that tinfoil?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I'm not sure if deleting cookies would help or not, but maybe that. Or do all your browsing in private mode.

I've heard rumours of words being traced from your social media/Whatsapp conversations but I've no idea how true that is - sounds unlikely. Saying that, I tested the "images of" story above and my top result was "poppies". I received/sent WhatsApps earlier today about someone called poppie, but I think I was just looking for a way to justify the result.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I'm not sure if deleting cookies would help or not, but maybe that. Or do all your browsing in private mode.

I've heard rumours of words being traced from your social media/Whatsapp conversations but I've no idea how true that is - sounds unlikely. Saying that, I tested the "images of" story above and my top result was "poppies". I received/sent WhatsApps earlier today about someone called poppie, but I think I was just looking for a way to justify the result.
    I got poppies, too, second behind "Christmas" and ahead of skin cancer :-0

Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    I got poppies, too, second behind "Christmas" and ahead of skin cancer :-0
    That's an eventful day. 😉

I did the "images of" thing and one of the results was images of unicorns. I'd recently read Nae Nookie's post about gramur and speling, and Nae Nookie's avatar has a unicorn in it. If that's not proof, I don't know what is.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    That's an eventful day. 😉

You're on good form today!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    I did the "images of" thing and one of the results was images of unicorns. I'd recently read Nae Nookie's post about gramur and speling, and Nae Nookie's avatar has a unicorn in it. If that's not proof, I don't know what is.
    After reading that mine is now Ryan Reynolds...
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I got images of piles 😂
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    I got love, flowers and nature!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    A few months ago for a wee project I had going I needed an image of a 5 pointed star. I went into google and when I typed in 'images of' the search box defaulted to 'a five pointed star' ….. of all the millions of possible options why the hell did it default to that? …. I swear I had never done a previous search for such a thing in any social media or search engine.

How's that for spooky … now where's that tinfoil?
    Did you google it on your phone? I’m convinced iPhones are listening in on what you are saying. I’ve had ads for certain things come up after speaking about those things (and I’ve never searched for it).

So if I type in "Scott Allan in a Hibernian 2018-2019 shirt lifting the Scottish Cup" then pictures of this event should turn up in the near future?