hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Milligan

Mark Milligan

General thoughts? I'm still on the fence with him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Thought he looked good for the first few games and you can see he reads the game very well. Not sure he has adapted to the pace of the game but it is still early days

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m the same. I’m not sure either way but I feel myself edging towards him not being that great.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I like him and would have him in the team every week.

Was chatting to Lovell after the game and we both pointed out the ball he played for Boyle in the second half.... He's a good player, the whole team are just a little off it just now.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    Offers nothing for me. Watched him closely and he is tidy but very ineffective and his general awareness is poor off the ball, to the point where he has cost goals in games. The caveat is that very possibly the pace of the game here has caught him out which it often does when players come from abroad and they are in their twilight years - but it's a 'no' from me and we need to be in the market for a proper enforcer.

Is it a one year deal with an option ? If so, I'd not take up the option.

I like him, good player.

Presumably he's on pretty decent cash (given he originally didn't want to join us) so whether or not he's value for money is probably another story.

A better all-round player than Bartley but not as good at the ugly stuff, I'm not convinced another option in this position was really worth pushing the boat out for.

I do think he's a bit old and slow, very good if you give him loads of space but struggles a bit when pressed.

He has more to offer than he's shown so far, hopefully we find a way to see the best of him.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    I think he's struggling with the pace of the Scottish game. Always looking for more time on the ball. If he can adjust I think he could be a very good player for us but hasn't looked comfortable in games so far. Thought he did ok tonight though in a difficult game.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    I think he's struggling with the pace of the Scottish game. Always looking for more time on the ball. If he can adjust I think he could be a very good player for us but hasn't looked comfortable in games so far. Thought he did ok tonight though in a difficult game.
    Thought he was back to normal service after recovering from Aussie trip. No mistakes and neat passer with some crisp balls forward.

I’m still not too convinced tbh.

Does some nice passes but I don’t think he is good enough in one specific area for where we want to go or play.

Still early but Id agree with the posters above in that I think he is struggling a bit with the pace of our league, first time im sure he has played league football in Europe and he is nae spring chicken.....2 touches on every ball he receives. Jury still oot.

GGTTH

Not so sure, he’s 33 now getting on a bit, he’s been capped a lot for Australia but they play against poor opposition quite regularly

I think he was knocked off by the Aussie trip and that might be an age thing.

I would have him in the team every week.
    Good tackler, passer, reader of the game and leader. His only downside is a lack of pace. Accordingly should only be used as defensive midfield player.

We were getting a real doing until he came on tonight and stiffened the midfield up with some dig and passing ability. Unfortunately, Mallan was still causing us problems.
    Also provides a safe option for Efe to pass to and work with.

Like Slivka before him I don't understand folk not rating him.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

Good tackler, passer, reader of the game and leader. His only downside is a lack of pace. Accordingly should only be used as defensive midfield player.

We were getting a real doing until he came on tonight and stiffened the midfield up with some dig and passing ability. Unfortunately, Mallan was still causing us problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post

Id love to see him him tackle along more and turn being under pressure into possession and attack, that’s what he isn’t doing enough of from what I’ve seen so far and been shown short in the bigger games. Never right any player off, he has a great range of pass when given time to pick them. Just like to see a bit more from him.

GGTTH

I agree with this. He's obviously a quality player but he hasn't shown that yet with Hibs.

I think though it won't have helped that our midfield this season is completely new and unsettled. It also doesn't yet have that balance we had last year with a box-to-box player, a final ball guy and a deeper playmaker. Maybe we can add at least one of those to the squad in January?

His first 2-3 games he seemed like he was exactly what he needed. Sat in front of defence, took the ball, gave it to the more technical players. Read the game well. Could put a tackle in, since then he's looked very slow and his decisions and passing has been very suspect at times

First couple of games he looked excellent. Now he is struggling big time. Far too slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coaching Staff
    I like him. Tough, uncompromising and has a good touch when he’s on his game. Coming back from injury and it’ll take him a few games to settle. He’s capable and think he’ll turn out to be a good signing.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    His thing is to break things up and distribute the ball to players who can do more with it. Use him for that and he can do a job but it needs to be done quick.

My thoughts on him is that the majority of posts on him went way over the top when he first arrived, before he was even close to proving his worth.

That doesn’t mean he isn’t a good player and won’t do his bit this season, though.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    I don't think he likes the cold weather. Not played well in the cold.

I'm the same, a quality player in there, but I actually do think Bartley is more effective in that role, nearly every time Bartley plays these days he puts in a motm performance, can't really say the same for Milligan, his first 4 games were good, since then he's been a bit erratic and is nowhere near as physical a player as I thought he would be.

This is my take on Milligan too.

I'd like to think he can increase his fitness levels and get up to speed with the game in Scotland, but I fear that this is wishful thinking and that we are seeing the best of what we will ever get from him.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 20-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Far too slow in my opinion. The game just passes by him.

Being played in a defensive role doesn’t help. Should be sitting nearer the half way line.

Far too slow in my opinion. The game just passes by him.

Quote Originally Posted by RIP View Post
    Being played in a defensive role doesn’t help. Should be sitting nearer the half way line.
    He's a defensive midfielder?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    He's a defensive midfielder?

He’d only be worse moving him further forward.

I think bartley is better.