hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

What really happened in the summer with recruitment ?

I realise obviously that we can't turn the clock back but I just can't get it out of my head that what we have witnessed is all down to what happened or didn't happen during the summer regarding recruitment.
    1) LD announces biggest ever playing budget, setting expectations soaring.
    2) The Board, recruitment and NL know we are definitely loosing Dylan and SJM for months if not January and that Scott Allan isn't ours. So have more than enough time to identify the preferred option replacements in order of priority and of course reality.
    3)Kamberi and Mallan business done pretty quickly further raising expectations.
    4) The signings slow and the SJM shambles begins, and its of information coming out that we are missing out on preferred targets, even though biggest budget is supported by record ST sales.
    5) Saga continues with SJM and new one begins with McLaren signing.
    Surprise signing off Bogdan good news, Horgan as well comes in, in the midst we begin the challenge of the Europa adventure which we have known about for a couple of months (doing very well )with half a squad.
    6) Its at this point that the warning signs start, we are obviously struggling to get signings in and it feels like we are getting desperate to get players in, taking players that appear not to be what we need or of the quality expected.
    7) We sign 2 players that take between a month and 2 months to get.international clearance in Milligan and Agyepong, McLaren eventually signs and the probleeu of unfit, not up to speed presents itself.
    8)Finally, we have the last minute dealings of SJM going for whats unofficially a lesser amount than being held out for by the Board and reported last minute attempts to get.Scott Allan back in, but again failure to get our first chpice signing.

I have undoubtedly missed a few things but the point being made is that when you loook at some.of what we.know about that went on its not very positive at all and there are a lot questions to be asked and answered across the whole summer in all areas of the club. The Boar its direction/strategy- supporting progression, and when they release money ie not releasing any til we get it in ie for SJM(too late then). Recruitment - player type and quality, ready to go not held with work permit issues, injury prone, not played for months. Manager/board relationship what he wants and they allow. Fitness and coaching, why does it take so long for us to get players up to match fitness and why do we appear to be picking up.so many injuries, outwith matches, if we have apparently invested heavily to put quality into this part of the playing budget.
    The majority of fans knew way before deadline day that we had glaring gaps in the squad which hadnt been sorted over the summer and as the season has progressed, it has become blatantly obvious that we are well short of where we expected and wanted to be as fans given our commitment. I am just wondering if this is part of where NL is part now, frustrated that he, like us has been let down by what went on in the summer, in every sense. It doesnt take away his responsibilities as a manager to work with what he has got and present a positivity as a manager and leader.
    I just think the focus and responsibility is all on NL and think that what we have seen this season rests much wider than that.
    I havent gone near the players, taking wages, to get and be fit, to give their all during every 90+minutes, be mentally ready and respect the privilege they have of earning a good living from this great game and at our club
    Like so many a very frustrated and disappointed fan at.this time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Kamberi and Maclaren were stick on almost guaranteed quality signings. Through injury and loss of form they have been disappointing.

Mallen has generally been good (goals and set plays), Horgan shows flashes of skill but not consistent however Hyndman has been huge disappointment.

It’s really simple for me. We needed to invest heavily in midfield given departures and we didn’t. Yes it was impossible to replace but are we really saying we couldn’t have got Kamara and Allan instead of Hyndman and Horgan if we had pushed the boat out.

Injuries, loss of form and ridiculous team selections had brought chickens home.

Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kamberi and Maclaren were stick on almost guaranteed quality signings. Through injury and loss of form they have been disappointing.

Mallen has generally been good (goals and set plays), Horgan shows flashes of skill but not consistent however Hyndman has been huge disappointment.

It’s really simple for me. We needed to invest heavily in midfield given departures and we didn’t. Yes it was impossible to replace but are we really saying we couldn’t have got Kamara and Allan instead of Hyndman and Horgan if we had pushed the boat out.

Injuries, loss of form and ridiculous team selections had brought chickens home.
    I'm not saying Hyndman is amazing or the answer to our problems but I'm sure the last time he playing was Hamilton and we haven't won since. Imo he finds bits of space and can link the midfield to attack.

I think we held onto unrealistic hope of keeping Dylan and SJM for too long - remember SJM started the season for us, and started very well.

Selling SJM for decent cash at a late stage meant that our true budget and what we had to do with it were finalised late.

I'm content that all of the players signed are of a good enough standard, but glaring squad deficiencies (lack of a mobile midfielder and lack of striking options) mean that we haven't seen the best of our signings. I think Lennon might have expected Slivka to step up a bit more than he has done as well.

Because of the glaring deficiencies, Lennon has had to try to be creative in covering for them, with little success so far.

We're not far away from being a good side, but imo we do need to make at least 2 very solid signings in January.

The deficiencies have been so poor that players who were let go through seemingly not being good enough (Fyvie, Stanton, Graham, Murray) would probably have played a reasonable amount and made a difference if they'd still been here.
    Last edited by Smartie; 02-12-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Pinning all our hopes on Mallan who is not good enough to play at the centre of our midfield

I really wish folk would stop claiming Dempster said we had the biggest ‘playing’ budget ever.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I really wish folk would stop claiming Dempster said we had the biggest ‘playing’ budget ever.
    I really wish she would clarify the comment when it’s evident recruitment and money spent has been piss poor after losing our two best players.

Mallan, shooting aside, is not good enough at the level. Yes his free kicks are awesome but his general play isn’t top six spl standard.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShetlandHibby View Post
    Mallan, shooting aside, is not good enough at the level. Yes his free kicks are awesome but his general play isn’t top six spl standard.
    Mallan will come good played consistently in a position that suits him, I’ve no doubt about that. He’s going through a sticky patch but the potential is there.

And Milligan looks too slow, took to long to get signed and is away for internationals including the month long Asian cup. Did any research go into that signing at all or was he all that was left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    I'm guessing we all saw Milligan getting roasted yesterday ?

It was comical stuff. He gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I really wish she would clarify the comment when it’s evident recruitment and money spent has been piss poor after losing our two best players.
    What would you like her to clarify about the comment?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The silence coming out of Easter Road during the summer was defeaning
    We had the Scott Allan mystery
    The decision to sell Simon Murray without bringing in a suitable replacement for cover is another mystery
    It left us with Kamberi MacLaren ( unfit then injured) and Shaw with Boyle as a fourth striker option which has not worked apart from his fine finish away to Celtic
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 02-12-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    The best player on the pitch yesterday by country mile was Greg Stewart.

He was available in the summer and imagine the up roar on here if he signed after his spell at Aberdeen!

Clearly some signings just work and some don't. The majority of ours haven't worked. Send Hydman,McLaren and Agyepong back to parent clubs and bring in at least 4 in January and we might have a chance of making top 6

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    We were back with the big boys and not in any imminent danger so the board's recruitment level fell back to the default - spend the absolute bare minimum required to remain competitive at our level (read: mid-table), whilst hoarding transfer and ST money for some undefined purpose (maybe recruitment if we get relegated again). Meanwhile our rivals spend well and are miles away from us as things stand.

It's a stupid strategy because if we don't finish in the top 4 this season ST uptake will go back to the baseline and we'll lose money in the long term. If we lose the derby on the 29th attendances will take a hammering. When the first of several "WE HAVE MADE EXCELLENT RECRUITMENT" statements come out near the end of the season with us in the bottom 6, we'll know they've learned nothing.

I remember back when we were **** and attendances were around the 10k mark, the comback answer was "Hibs can't spend money if we aren't buying STs". What's happened to that excuse now?

The January window is going to be the same - **** performances and "stumbling blocks" and a couple bargain basement free transfers/loans on deadline day.
    Last edited by Diclonius; 02-12-2018 at 09:09 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    One fact is Celtic would not sell us Scott Allan so no blame can be attached to Hibs there. We did try though

I wonder if SA could have pushed harder at his end but we will never know

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    We were back with the big boys and not in any imminent danger so the board's recruitment level fell back to the default - spend the absolute bare minimum required to remain competitive at our level (read: mid-table), whilst hoarding transfer and ST money for some undefined purpose (maybe recruitment if we get relegated again). Meanwhile our rivals spend well and are miles away from us as things stand.

It's a stupid strategy because if we don't finish in the top 4 this season ST uptake will go back to the baseline and we'll lose money in the long term. If we lose the derby on the 29th attendances will take a hammering. When the first of several "WE HAVE MADE EXCELLENT RECRUITMENT" statements come out near the end of the season with us in the bottom 6, we'll know they've learned nothing.
    What rivals other than Sevco spent well?

Celtic had a disastrous window, Aberdeen and Lilmarnock didn’t sign anyone of note, with the exception of Naismith,Hearts signed a massive amount of nobodies who got off to a flyer but have been crap since.

That is what makes the fact that our signings not working all the more frustrating.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    What rivals other than Sevco spent well?

Celtic had a disastrous window, Aberdeen and Lilmarnock didn’t sign anyone of note, with the exception of Naismith,Hearts signed a massive amount of nobodies who got off to a flyer but have been crap since.

That is what makes the fact that our signings not working all the more frustrating.
    Who cares. Only interested in hibs

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancehibs View Post
    Who cares. Only interested in hibs
    Was replying to the previous poster if that is okay with you. He obviously does.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Google it and you will see it, she doesn't need to clarify anything

Left by mutual consent!
    One fact is Celtic would not sell us Scott Allan so no blame can be attached to Hibs there. We did try though

I wonder if SA could have pushed harder at his end but we will never know
    Good work pushing board propaganda. Pay going rate we would have signed SA

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    I have two issues with what went on in the summer:

Firstly, the length of time it took to get things done. We were well into the season before a good few of our signings arrived or were ‘up to speed’ with 3 of them in Agyepong, Maclaren and Hyndman probably never been up to speed yet. We play all season to get into Europe as we’ve no chance of winning the league. Then when we get there we’re woefully underprepared squad wise.

More alarmingly for me though is the type of players we signed. I can accept that not all signings will work out. But it was glaringly obvious in the summer that we needed some proper centre midfield signings. Guys that you’d call a centre midfielder, not number 10s or midfield anchors yet we didn’t sign any? Instead we signed another holding midfielder who plays internationally as a centre back even though we already have Bartley and Whittaker (I don’t think Whittaker is good enough but still, he’s here) and we signed wingers and number 10s. Why on earth did we not go out and sign at least two out and out centre midfielders?

Left by mutual consent!
    Was replying to the previous poster if that is okay with you. He obviously does.
    People need to focus on holding our board to account for failure

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    And Milligan looks too slow, took to long to get signed and is away for internationals including the month long Asian cup. Did any research go into that signing at all or was he all that was left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He has been fine since he came here, no one was complaining about his pace when we were playing well and people were desperate for him to be back in midfield, Milligan is not the problem

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    He has been fine since he came here, no one was complaining about his pace when we were playing well and people were desperate for him to be back in midfield, Milligan is not the problem
    He’s had a couple of brutal games and has been rubbish since he came back from oz

He’s had a couple of brutal games and has been rubbish since he came back from oz
    From what I've seen so far he's an expensive and inferior alternative to Marvin Bartley, although to be fair to him he had some decent games early on and it can't be easy playing in that midfield.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This is hibs.net legend. Up there with Leigh Griffiths for 150K

Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    This is hibs.net legend. Up there with Leigh Griffiths for 150K
    Is it though?

Why would anyone make it up?

I remember it being used as a carrot to get people to pitch up and buy season tickets in record numbers.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    She clarified it in the very next sentence in the interview.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

So 2 games, as I said, there is a lot more to worry about than Mark Milligan just now