hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Mallan being played too deep?

Latest Podcast

Gav & Craig formally of Monday Night Fitbaw review the Dundee game and discuss whether Mallan is being played too deep?

And Murray (aka MurrayMinter75 from the Match Day Vlogs) preview Killie game.
    iTunes-https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/51-is-mallan-being-played-too-deep/id1236445811?i=1000424766675&mt=2

Spotify-https://open.spotify.com/episode/2f0lfA4kqULCcucj9BWhIT?si=Zy1ZezQbSiqbBpVFvNfPpg

SoundCloud-https://soundcloud.com/hibstalk/ep51

Web- HibsTalk.com

What do you think? Is Mallan being played too deep?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Yes, I think he is.

In the right setup I think he'd flourish.

As it stands he's on a hiding to nothing and we're being over-run in midfield almost every week. It's not Milligan's fault and Mallan is the other constant.

Yes

Been waiting years for a goal scoring midfielder and he’s being wasted in a deep lying playmaker role. He’s not Mcginn or McGeough. Play him in the hole!

@hibs.net private member
    I don’t think he can thread a final ball well enough to play in the hole but I think he isn’t a deep midfielder either, great free kick taker and that’s why he’s in the team but I’m no sure where exactly suits him best.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t think he can thread a final ball well enough to play in the hole but I think he isn’t a deep midfielder either, great free kick taker and that’s why he’s in the team but I’m no sure where exactly suits him best.
    Did you not see his pass for our 2nd goal on sat? Peach of a pass. Not lumped in. Precision cross. The boy can play a pass, no worries about that. Have you not watched his goals from open play?

To say he just takes free kicks is insulting imo

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Did you not see his pass for our 2nd goal on sat? Peach of a pass. Not lumped in. Precision cross. The boy can play a pass, no worries about that. Have you not watched his goals from open play?

It was from a freekick though was it not? Na it wasn’t lumped in but think the poster was talking about defence splitting passes i.e Scott Allan

Do think he gives us more than just freekicks but tends do go missing and lacks awareness to track his runners & doesn’t really get stuck in.

I think he’d be better further forward but lennon seems to like him a bit deeper
    Last edited by Stuart93; 29-11-2018 at 10:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Prolific start to his HIBS career. The goals unsurprisingly have dried up and needs to work hard on his all round game and find his true position he has loads of potential and has time on his side with the proper coaching he has the potential to be a very good player Unfortunately we do not have the time we need him to be the finished article now
    We need him to progress at the same rate as SJM and be his own complete player he needs to do more in open play be it right central left mid in or out of the diamond for the sake of his own development imho

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post

I did see it yes, it was a free kick, which I stated he is great at. What I’m questioning is his ability to split the defence which I can’t remember him doing so far and that’s why I’m not sure of his best position yet. Calm down with insulting patter.

He isn't quick enough or a good enough dribbler to play behind strikers.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    He isn't quick enough or a good enough dribbler to play behind strikers.
    I'm not sure those are attributes that are essential to play there.

He's a decent passer and has a brilliant shot. I think he could be dangerous playing off Flo, with the pace and dribbling ability out wide.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'm not sure those are attributes that are essential to play there.

He's a decent passer and has a brilliant shot. I think he could be dangerous playing off Flo, with the pace and dribbling ability out wide.
    I think he's actually quite a bad passer. Well, strangely good at a longer pass. But, more often than not he under hits a close pass or plays it behind the player.

But I think I still agree. Play him. In behind and those attribute matte nought when you have as good a shot as Mallan does.

Trying to make into Dylan mark 2 but it stifles his attacking attribute, he should be played in the 10 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Trying to make into Dylan mark 2 but it stifles his attacking attribute, he should be played in the 10 spot.
    No 10?

Cropley he is not. Collins he is not.

But yes I agree No 10 the old fashioned inside left position would be his most likely true position

But what do we do when Scott Allan comes back?

If he comes back?

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    No 10?

Cropley he is not. Collins he is not.

But yes I agree No 10 the old fashioned inside left position would be his most likely true position

But what do we do when Scott Allan comes back?

If he comes back?
    God, I hope we get Allan back! 3-5-2 if we do!

Bogdan
    Efe Porteous(Daz) Hanlon
    Gray(Boyle) Stevenson
    Milligan
    Allan Mallan

MacLaren(Boyle) Flo

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    We need someone in midfield to replace some of the energy and drive that McGinn used to give us. That’s our biggest issue. Mallan is a good wee player but he isn’t a central midfielder. He played attacking midfield for St Mirren and had loads of goals/assists.

Allan and Mallan in the same midfield still gets overrun. Slivka has been a disappointment so we definitely need someone else in there.

I remember him ripping up defences by running at them while at St Mirren so maybe being played slightly out of position

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    He’s definitely not an out and out centre midfielder to me. Needs a go at number 10 to see if it suits him better.

Left by mutual consent!
    Whether he is too deep or not upto the standard required...its hard too tell.

He definately needs his position changed however.

As take away his long range shots....and he is a waste of a jersey currently.

Starting to wonder if that is what Lenny meant in his comments after the Celtic game as we have Mallan and Horgan who could not get a game for Barnsley and Preston respectively and we are starting to see the reason why.

Replacing Dylan Allan and SJM was never an easy ask

Starting to wonder if that is what Lenny meant in his comments after the Celtic game as we have Mallan and Horgan who could not get a game for Barnsley and Preston respectively and we are starting to see the reason why.

They both showed excellent form to get moves to Championship clubs in the first place though, and they clearly both have something.

Mallan's a funny player, I can't really think of anyone like him. My mate used to talk about Kevin Nolan at West Ham as being a midfielder who did nothing but score goals. If he wasn't scoring he wasn't contributing, but he scored so many you couldn't leave him out.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar

It would help if Lenny played both in their best positions for a sustained period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It would help if Lenny played both in their best positions for a sustained period of time.
    Spot on. Lennon, his tactics and what we didn’t sign in the middle of the park is more of an issue here..

I keep reading that we have a lack of creativity. We don’t IMO. Even last week who were the two players who set the goals up? The two you mention must have a fair number of assists between them.

Balance is all wrong and it’s hindering players who could be more effective if played properly.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    He’s definitely not an out and out centre midfielder to me. Needs a go at number 10 to see if it suits him better.
    Not an out and out one but still a decent one, he needs to be played in a floating role between the DM and forwards.

They both showed excellent form to get moves to Championship clubs in the first place though, and they clearly both have something.

Mallan's a funny player, I can't really think of anyone like him. My mate used to talk about Kevin Nolan at West Ham as being a midfielder who did nothing but score goals. If he wasn't scoring he wasn't contributing, but he scored so many you couldn't leave him out.
    We need a midfielder who will do the graft in the middle, Kamara last week should us the exact type of player we are missing, there must be a few good Kamara's knocking about, where did Dundee get him, maybe need to look at the Scandinavian market.

Not an out and out one but still a decent one, he needs to be played in a floating role between the DM and forwards.

We need a midfielder who will do the graft in the middle, Kamara last week should us the exact type of player we are missing, there must be a few good Kamara's knocking about, where did Dundee get him, maybe need to look at the Scandinavian market.
    What about Bartley?

I thought he came from Arsenal?

Having watched some English Championship football last season, I don't think they're short of big, energetic laddies who can get up and down the pitch down South.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    We need someone in midfield to replace some of the energy and drive that McGinn used to give us. That’s our biggest issue. Mallan is a good wee player but he isn’t a central midfielder. He played attacking midfield for St Mirren and had loads of goals/assists.

Allan and Mallan in the same midfield still gets overrun. Slivka has been a disappointment so we definitely need someone else in there.

Also disappointing that Hyndman can’t seem to do this job.

What about Bartley?
    An enforcer and nothing much else, he adds nothing to the game apart from his strength and being a big lump in the middle, we need better quality than Marv, he gets a nose bleed if he goes pat the halfway line and isn't technically that good.

I thought he came from Arsenal?

Having watched some English Championship football last season, I don't think they're short of big, energetic laddies who can get up and down the pitch down South.

He did indeed, I knew he was Finnish and assumed he came over from there, still a market I'd be looking at though.

An enforcer and nothing much else, he adds nothing to the game apart from his strength and being a big lump in the middle, we need better quality than Marv, he gets a nose bleed if he goes pat the halfway line and isn't technically that good.
    Accept your point JC but still think that Big Marv is technically better than most folk on here give him credit for
    What we really need is the next SJM