hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Gray

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar

David Gray

Anyone got any idea how long he is out for? Yesterday showed how much we miss him when he's injured. Our right hand side looked dodgy all afternoon. Big miss and can't wait till he's back

2. Log in to remove the advert

Need him back ASAP hope the rumour about him falling out with Lennon is keek.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    If NL is here next season I very much doubt David Gray will be. No inside knowledge I just get the impression NL would rather go with other options. At the AGM is was clear NL didn't think much of David Gray being referred to as Sir.

@hibs.net private member
    If Lennon leads us to the Scottish Cup he can get a Hibs Knighthood too. SDG is the best captain we have had for decades. I think we have tried 5 since he has been out injured, Efe, Marv, Lewis, Milligan and Hanlon, and we have not looked like a team and have look leaderless on and off the park. The passion is nowhere near as evident in the team or Lennon

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If NL is here next season I very much doubt David Gray will be. No inside knowledge I just get the impression NL would rather go with other options. At the AGM is was clear NL didn't think much of David Gray being referred to as Sir.
    What did he say at the AGM?

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Don't think that's the case when SDG is fit Lennon plays him. Lennons comment at the AGM was based on his fitness.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Badly miss his leadership on the park. Hope he’s back soon, especially with this very busy December schedule.

If Neil Lennon goes head to head with SDG, I know who will come out best ... SDG is a key part of the club and its feel good factor

Quote Originally Posted by Shanksaidno View Post
    If Neil Lennon goes head to head with SDG, I know who will come out best ... SDG is a key part of the club and its feel good factor
    Nobody. We all lose because we don't need that sort of disharmony behind the scenes.

With the likes of Gray and McGreggor missing yesterday and McGinn gone I found myself questioning who was going to take things by the scruff of the neck and drag us through the game. The answer was nobody really although Efe gave it a go.

We need other players to step up to the plate and show a bit of the grit and leadership someone like Gray has. He was a big miss and not just for his football ability.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Don't think that's the case when SDG is fit Lennon plays him. Lennons comment at the AGM was based on his fitness.
    That's how I interpreted it also. No ill feelings between the 2, just Lennon raising questions about SDG's fitness and how that was impacting his new contract - similar to last year's comments about McGeoch at the AGM.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    What did he say at the AGM?
    He was asked about players who would be out of contract in the summer being offered new deals. in particular the guy asking said Sir David Gray. NL said he needed to string more than a few games together before that would be considered. I'm maybe wrong but I got the impression NL didn't like him being referred to as Sir + he's often went with other options even when DG has been fit.

Like I said I have no inside knowledge I just don't think he'll be offered a new deal. I hope I'm wrong.

Sir David is the heart and soul of our club. What he did on 21/05/16 still makes me jump around the living room.

But there’s so much more to him than a winning goal. He was down injured 5 minutes before. He’s a leader of men. He gives us an out ball on the right that nobody else does.

Yes, he has his limitations as a footballer, but I don’t see anyone else in our squad digging in like he does when the going gets tough.

And if there’s a better right back out there within our budget, I’m all ears

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    That's how I interpreted it also. No ill feelings between the 2, just Lennon raising questions about SDG's fitness and how that was impacting his new contract - similar to last year's comments about McGeoch at the AGM.
    I believe he'll get a new contract but think it will be maybe on slightly reduced terms.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    And rightly so, frankly he has had a lot of time off due to injury, plus recovery gets harder at his age.

First Team Breakthrough
    He was asked about players who would be out of contract in the summer being offered new deals. in particular the guy asking said Sir David Gray. NL said he needed to string more than a few games together before that would be considered. I'm maybe wrong but I got the impression NL didn't like him being referred to as Sir + he's often went with other options even when DG has been fit.

Like I said I have no inside knowledge I just don't think he'll be offered a new deal. I hope I'm wrong.
    I’m sure I have heard Lennon referring to Sir David as Sir David in the past.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar

I think his comments were a bit tongue in cheek at the agm.

Gray is sorely missed. He can keep the others up to the mark. Dangerous at corners too!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Gray is sorely missed. He can keep the others up to the mark. Dangerous at corners too!
    Gray is also a leader and an inspiration, something that is distinctly lacking currently when he's not on the park.

Anybody who supports the club or is employed in any capacity by the club that thinks we would be better off without SDG needs to be launched.

SDG is what we are all about, and he is that more than anybody else.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Stone View Post
    Anybody who supports the club or is employed in any capacity by the club that thinks we would be better off without SDG needs to be launched.

Nail, hammer,heid

But I include Lewis and Paul.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Sir David is the heart and soul of our club. What he did on 21/05/16 still makes me jump around the living room.

But there’s so much more to him than a winning goal. He was down injured 5 minutes before. He’s a leader of men. He gives us an out ball on the right that nobody else does.

Yes, he has his limitations as a footballer, but I don’t see anyone else in our squad digging in like he does when the going gets tough.

And if there’s a better right back out there within our budget, I’m all ears
    We are the heart and soul of the club.

@hibs.net private member
    For me, (Sir) David Gray is probably the most influential and inspirational player at the Club. Hope to hell he's back in the side just as soon as poss. We're just not the same without him imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Stone View Post

Whilst I don’t think David Gray should necesarilly be emptied, he does need to put together a consistent run of games.

I think he only played about a dozen games last season and even when he’s started games this season, he’s failed to complete 90 minutes quite a few times. That’s no good to us. Needs to prove his fitness in the second half of the season. I hope he can because, forgetting who he is for a minute, he was our best player by a mile when he was playing this season IMO.

I'd also add to this that for me SDG should be drilling home what Hibs mean to the younger players coming through the youth set-up in the hope we have more players fighting for the badge.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Whilst I don’t think David Gray should necesarilly be emptied, he does need to put together a consistent run of games.

I think he only played about a dozen games last season and even when he’s started games this season, he’s failed to complete 90 minutes quite a few times. That’s no good to us. Needs to prove his fitness in the second half of the season. I hope he can because, forgetting who he is for a minute, he was our best player by a mile when he was playing this season IMO.
    Definitely. Forgetting his heroics previously, his performances this season have been outstanding. Just a shame he’s not been available nearly often enough.

Coaching Staff
    I am eternally grateful to David Gray for his cup winning header, but reality, not sentiment should prevail when it comes to future playing requirements surely.

David has been repeatedly missing through injury, and if that is not a sign that his career is waning and not waxing, I don’t know what is.

There is a place in the team for David when fit, but a couple of games and it seems he is injured again.

Next season I expect him to be elsewhere , to be honest.

Sad perhaps, but possibly necessary if he struggles again for fitness.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I am eternally grateful to David Gray for his cup winning header, but reality, not sentiment should prevail when it comes to future playing requirements surely.

David has been repeatedly missing through injury, and if that is not a sign that his career is waning and not waxing, I don’t know what is.

There is a place in the team for David when fit, but a couple of games and it seems he is injured again.

Next season I expect him to be elsewhere , to be honest.

Sad perhaps, but possibly necessary if he struggles again for fitness.
    Sad but Spot on.

He should be given a lifelong contract. I don't want to contemplate a club without David Gray.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    He should be given a lifelong contract. I don't want to contemplate a club without David Gray.

The sentimental auld fool in me agrees.

His latest injury was almost "self inflicted" in so far as there was absolutely no need for him to make the tackle he did in the closing seconds of the game. But there again, that's the competitive instinct of the great man.