hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Celtc Fans' Sectarian Singing

...was discussed at the Celtc AGM.

HERE

(They're the ones that used to term Sectarian, by the way)

For those that don't want to click the Daily Record link...

"Chairman Bankier hit out at fans who he said take Celtic "into the gutter" by continuing to sing sectarian songs.

One shareholder was praised by Lawwell for his "bravery" in raising the controversial subject from the floor. An increase in sectarian singing at games was the claim, specifically the Beautiful Sunday chant with IRA lyrics and a chant directed at Hearts manager Craig Levein calling him an "orange b*****d".

The man said the majority of the sectarian singing comes from the Green Brigade section of Parkhead. He added: “Not putting all blame on the Green Brigade but drums and megaphones bring the beat for these unsavoury songs.

“It's getting worse now and I want the board to open a dialogue.”

Bankier responded by saying Celtic have no time for what is “‘very damaging and that sort of singing takes club to the gutter”. He urged fans to show disapproval during games and says the guilty parties will soon see they are in a small minority.

Lawwell accepted the problem had got worse in recent times. He added: "It is very unfortunate that a small minority is dragging us down."
    Last edited by Keith_M; 21-11-2018 at 07:58 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

What's this got to do with Hibernian FC?

Left by mutual consent!
    I thought it was Rangers who only sang such things?

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    The green brigade will be painting a banner in disapproval for the next game, for f***ing once I hope they get the spelling right.

It's okay saying they dislike this stuff but until they do something about it then it will just continue and get worse, they won't be outdone by the blue bigots.

I see Celtc are considering not taking any tickets for the old firm game at Ibrox at Xmas time for fear of the safety of there fans.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by gillythehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would guess nothing but good to see they are acknowledging their **** support.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    The green brigade will be painting a banner in disapproval for the next game, for f***ing once I hope they get the spelling right.

It's okay saying they dislike this stuff but until they do something about it then it will just continue and get worse, they won't be outdone by the blue bigots.

I see Celtc are considering not taking any tickets for the old firm game at Ibrox at Xmas time for fear of the safety of there fans.
    I wouldn’t want to go and sit in that corner pumping huns in a Celtic end. Think of the **** launched at us, spit and even the likes of flares and x by 1000.

When did it become a rule of this site to never discuss other clubs?

Good, sure some on here will still defend it however. Just because the abuse from rangers fans is directed at us, and Celtic fans abuse is directed in the other direction, doesn’t mean one is worse than the other.

One good thing from Stokes leaving was the dropping of the ‘stokes’ da’ song at ER.

Can’t see Celtic doing something properly about it however, they say minority but they play the beautiful Sunday over their tannoy system and the IRA lyrics are clearly audible, telling me it’s more than a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Might just be the fact it's posted in the Hibs chat section??

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Good, sure some on here will still defend it however. Just because the abuse from rangers fans is directed at us, and Celtic fans abuse is directed in the other direction, doesn’t mean one is worse than the other.

One good thing from Stokes leaving was the dropping of the ‘stokes’ da’ song at ER.

Can’t see Celtic doing something properly about it however, they say minority but they play the beautiful Sunday over their tannoy system and the IRA lyrics are clearly audible, telling me it’s more than a minority.
    The Stokes song was a daft, light hearted effort sung by never more than a handful of Hibs fans at the occasional away game. I`ve never heard it at ER, certainly not from my seat in the West Upper. The song has had more mentions on Hibs.net threads than actual airings at games.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar

Terrorism!
    Last edited by Iggy Pope; 21-11-2018 at 09:07 PM.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    Might just be the fact it's posted in the Hibs chat section??
    In the what?

It's on the main forum, which is described as "The messageboard for all Hibs fans to chat about Hibs and football in general."

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    The Stokes song was a daft, light hearted effort sung by never more than a handful of Hibs fans at the occasional away game. I`ve never heard it at ER, certainly not from my seat in the West Upper. The song has had more mentions on Hibs.net threads than actual airings at games.
    I agree, I’m not saying it was loud or what have you, but at the likes of tynie and Ibrox you tend to get even more bams singing it on the wind up. Just glad it was dumped before it caught on more.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Terrorism!
    Not sure what your point is, however the club can’t have a go at the singing of said song, blame the green brigade, yet play it over the tannoy system at parkhead if they are really intent on stopping it.

Its a football forum. Don’t open the thread if you don’t like it. The thread title kind of gives a clue as to the subject matter.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

Sadly the Stokes song, while not widespread, still gets sung. Also heard, presumably the same knuckledraggers, singing it about Horgans dad at Tynecastle.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Not sure what your point is, however the club can’t have a go at the singing of said song, blame the green brigade, yet play it over the tannoy system at parkhead if they are really intent on stopping it.
    It’s a pop song. That’s my point.
    The point of the thread? Nae idea.

Hibs and Celtic are brothers in green.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    *gets popcorn out*

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

A bit like when Hearts beat us last season and the first song on after the game was Sweet Caroline so they could all shout **** the pope.. which of course, thousands of them duly obliged.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    A bit like when Hearts beat us last season and the first song on after the game was Sweet Caroline so they could all shout **** the pope.. which of course, thousands of them duly obliged.
    Didn’t take long for the whataboutery to appear. 😏

Left by mutual consent!
    Sisters also Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Didn’t take long for the whataboutery to appear. 😏
    Well you can call it whatabouttery, but it's a valid point. While singing about the Provisional IRA is ****my and needless, it's not sectarian. Singing "**** the Pope" is. So Hearts aided and abetted sectarianism on that occasion, and Celtic didn't.

However Celtic's insistence on calling Rangers/Hearts managers "sad orange *******s" is their achilles heel on the sectarianism front. If they cut that out then their songbook would be free of sectarian singing, but still riddled with crass chants about Irish republicanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    No Rule mate just think we've got better Hibs things to talk about. Personally I couldny give a damn what songs Celtic fans sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    It’s a pop song. That’s my point.
    The point of the thread? Nae idea.
    Of course it is. But a pop song they’ve clearly just stated they don’t want sung, yet play it across their tannoy to encourage it... not exactly difficult to understand.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Of course it is. But a pop song they’ve clearly just stated they don’t want sung, yet play it across their tannoy to encourage it... not exactly difficult to understand.
    Wait until they find out it was written by Rod McQueen.....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Actions will speak louder than words. It's notable the issue was raised by a supporter; it's often the case that fans are most in denial that there is a problem.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Well you can call it whatabouttery, but it's a valid point. While singing about the Provisional IRA is ****my and needless, it's not sectarian. Singing "**** the Pope" is. So Hearts aided and abetted sectarianism on that occasion, and Celtic didn't.

However Celtic's insistence on calling Rangers/Hearts managers "sad orange *******s" is their achilles heel on the sectarianism front. If they cut that out then their songbook would be free of sectarian singing, but still riddled with crass chants about Irish republicanism.
    Don’t want to turn this thread into a 10 page Groundhog Day thread. However, while on the face of it you might be right about singing about the IRA not being sectarian, surely in the context of Scotland and Scottish football it is intrinsically linked to sectarianism? In the same way when songs about F the Queen etc are sung they are rooted in sectarianism and not anti royalisim, yet without any context an outsider wouldn’t understand the sectarian context.

Bhrothers ihn ghreen.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Celtc will do utterly hee-haw about it, because as much as they like to use the word "minority", everyone knows that to be a lie.

And the sectarian/Pro-IRA £ is worth far too much money to them. Celtc have built their empire on it, using that type of financing to get them into a position where they regularly now reap the rewards of Europe.

Much in the same way that Rangers did (and their new incarnation are continuing to do), in exploiting the sectarian/unionist image to bolster their coffers to try and achieve parity.

The pair of them are profiteering, lip-serving ****my *******s.