hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Benny hasn’t changed much.

A fine servant to Hibs, gave everything he had every time he played.

I wonder if he minds being called Benny? It wasn’t that flattering a nickname.

Testimonial Due
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Benny hasn’t changed much.

A fine servant to Hibs, gave everything he had every time he played.

I wonder if he minds being called Benny? It wasn’t that flattering a nickname.

His nickname was Benny since he was a wee laddie and is still called Benny now, also he's 60 in December which is frighting...

Vote cast.

Quote Originally Posted by c31 View Post
    His nickname was Benny since he was a wee laddie and is still called Benny now, also he's 60 in December which is frighting...
    “My older brother gave us all nicknames when we were younger,” he *explains. John christened me Benny. “I had it before him!” Brazil, now 56, protests, when the character Benny from the ITV soap opera Crossroads is mentioned as possible inspiration. “But no, I don’t know how it came about.”

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Vote cast.
    Me to, loved Benny.

I must have seen two thirds of Ally's game as I was at just about every home game and many aways during that period.

He always gave his all, wasn't the greatest player by a long shot, but I don't think he ever hid.

Then, as now, a scapegoat is always needed when things didn't go as planned, Ally used to get more flak than he deserved.

I remember he went to Hamilton from Hibs, but had no recollection he went to Forfar, let alone played 136 games.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    I must have seen two thirds of Ally's game as I was at just about every home game and many aways during that period.

He always gave his all, wasn't the greatest player by a long shot, but I don't think he ever hid.

Then, as now, a scapegoat is always needed when things didn't go as planned, Ally used to get more flak than he deserved.

I remember he went to Hamilton from Hibs, but had no recollection he went to Forfar, let alone played 136 games.
    if some of those who had more ability than Benny had matched his commitment then we would have had no problems over the years.

Am I right in remembering a league Cup tie where he took a knock to the head and went off with blood pouring out the wound.

He re-appeared about 5 mins later looking like Rambo with a big bandage on his heid and then proceeded to score a 25 yard raker.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Scored a hatrick against Celtic in a 6-3 win at ER . I remember back in the 80s at ER . Bennys lying on the ground holding his shin . Someone in the crowd shouts “get up Benny ,your playing them onside.
    Benny screams back F off :)
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Vote cast.
    Mine too

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    if some of those who had more ability than Benny had matched his commitment then we would have had no problems over the years.
    That's very true

Quote Originally Posted by Skol View Post
    Am I right in remembering a league Cup tie where he took a knock to the head and went off with blood pouring out the wound.

He re-appeared about 5 mins later looking like Rambo with a big bandage on his heid and then proceeded to score a 25 yard raker.
    Skol Cup 1985, think the Rambo game was the Motherwell 6-1 win possibly.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Voted for Ally

Far better than the female driver the was going to fast and hit the ice!

Great recovery but could have been very very different

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    This will be one for all the Brian Hamilton was good mob, mind the cup tie away to D Utd tight game, not a lot between sides, midway through 2nd half Utd punted in an innocuous ball, for reasons which will only ever be known to Benny, he jumps up with his man, & completely unnecessary proceeds to punch the ball away! 0-1 & out the cup when we should at least have had a home replay! Nae doubtin his commitment, but sometimes, like it or no, endeavour isnae quite enough. I mind plenty that had the whole crowd givin it “aw naw Benny”. Liked him mair than I ever did imposter Hamilton, right enough!

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Scored a hatrick against Celtic in a 6-3 win at ER . I remember back in the 80s at ER . Bennys lying on the ground holding his shin . Someone in the crowd shouts “get up Benny ,your playing them onside.
    Benny screams back F off :)
    Manager Blackley was down South looking at a player that day,and when told that Benny had scored three goals ,Sloop asks , " Who for ?"
    Great guy Benny,was in his class at school..

Voted for Ally. Never did understand the slagging he used to take. Gave his all every game

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

He was driving the number 36 I got to work on Friday morning, he quite often drives that route.

As a player he was before my time, but I remember him from football stickers. I do love a tryer, I love a character and I like to defend scapegoats so I'm pretty sure I'd have loved him.

And aside from all that, the story speaks volumes about the man. To get stuck in and try to help when many people would have frozen is to his credit. This will have been a horrendously traumatic experience for him, so to be back at his work the day after to serve the public is to his eternal credit.

Good for you Benny, hope you win.

He wasn't the worst player I've seen in a Hibs jersey.
    Not by a long chalk.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    This will be one for all the Brian Hamilton was good mob, mind the cup tie away to D Utd tight game, not a lot between sides, midway through 2nd half Utd punted in an innocuous ball, for reasons which will only ever be known to Benny, he jumps up with his man, & completely unnecessary proceeds to punch the ball away! 0-1 & out the cup when we should at least have had a home replay! Nae doubtin his commitment, but sometimes, like it or no, endeavour isnae quite enough. I mind plenty that had the whole crowd givin it “aw naw Benny”. Liked him mair than I ever did imposter Hamilton, right enough!
    Not doubting that Dundee Utd cup story (though I don't recall the game myself), but remember a SC replay v Utd at ER in season 81-82. Hibs were 1-0 up through Craig Paterson, when in the last minute Benny put the ball out for a corner with no-one anywhere near him. Utd equalised from it (might've been Billy Kirkwood?) and then won the second replay 3-0. Benny must've had the skin of a rhino to take the abuse he did, and apparently he's a great guy, but I must admit that I couldn't see what successive Hibs managers did in picking him every week!

There will be a "Benny was gash" thread soon.

I liked Benny.
    And "that" hat trick

Inconsequential
    Left by mutual consent!
    I remember reading a newspaper article featuring Ally and his namesake Alan who were to play for Scotland's Under 21 side iirc. It was revealed at the time that both were great hopes of Scotland and of course highlighted the coincidence of the surname and that one was a defender and the other a striker. Ally Brazil also had a son called Alan who played as a professional in the lower leagues of Scotland.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    What’s the random dig at Brian Hamilton about? As with Benny, seen far, far worse than him and he made a significant contribution to one of only six cup we’ve won in our 143 year history. A strange world you inhabit.

I do agree though, endeavour isn’t enough or I would be at least as famous as Benny.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    What’s the random dig at Brian Hamilton about? As with Benny, seen far, far worse than him and he made a significant contribution to one of only six cup we’ve won in our 143 year history. A strange world you inhabit.

I do agree though, endeavour isn’t enough or I would be at least as famous as Benny.
    As I said, imo Hamilton was an imposter as a player, I’ve said it on here many times, in a team with more than a few excellent performers Pat Mcginlay to name one, I think with a better performer than Hamilton, who was un-droppable to Miller, with a player there with for example half the quality of a Sauzee, then that team would have been winning much much more. But imo Hamilton was very poor, & let the team down. & as I am not deaf, I know at the time the majority of the crowd I was in amongst felt the same! Hibs fans in the 70s & 80s defo knew how to boo when they weren’t happy with what they were seeing!

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Benny played under 6 Hibs managers and was always a first team regular. Not the most graceful of players but gave 100% every time he pulled on the jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Not doubting that Dundee Utd cup story (though I don't recall the game myself), but remember a SC replay v Utd at ER in season 81-82. Hibs were 1-0 up through Craig Paterson, when in the last minute Benny put the ball out for a corner with no-one anywhere near him. Utd equalised from it (might've been Billy Kirkwood?) and then won the second replay 3-0. Benny must've had the skin of a rhino to take the abuse he did, and apparently he's a great guy, but I must admit that I couldn't see what successive Hibs managers did in picking him every week!

The abuse Benny (and others) took back in those days from Hibs fans was shocking looking back, nobody has suffered anything like it in the modern era.

@hibs.net private member

The abuse Benny (and others) took back in those days from Hibs fans was shocking looking back, nobody has suffered anything like it in the modern era.
    Colin Nish?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Colin Nish?
    No way. A few clowns in the old North Stand once started up a "Brazil must go" chant after Benny misplaced a pass. They were quickly threatened with a right doing if they kept it up.

Great lad Benny, used to play football with him in the park. Never thought he'd make it but just goes to show what hard work can do.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    No way. A few clowns in the old North Stand once started up a "Brazil must go" chant after Benny misplaced a pass. They were quickly threatened with a right doing if they kept it up.

Great lad Benny, used to play football with him in the park. Never thought he'd make it but just goes to show what hard work can do.
    I remember Benny playing for Hibs and the abuse he used to get. Joe Tortalano was another.

With regard to Nish he used to get pelters from the Famous 5 when he was a sub warming up. When he played it was even worse.

Don’t want to turn this into who was the most abused Hibs player though.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    I remember Benny playing for Hibs and the abuse he used to get. Joe Tortalano was another.

With regard to Nish he used to get pelters from the Famous 5 when he was a sub warming up. When he played it was even worse.

Don’t want to turn this into who was the most abused Hibs player though.
    I agree. I just wanted to highlight how bad it was for Benny, never heard anything like it. As far as I remember a lot of fans never forgave him for needlessly putting the ball out for a corner that led to Dundee Utd scoring a late equaliser in a Cup replay.