hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 53
  1. #1

    Which of the teams above us would you say we'll eventually finish ahead of?

    A month ago we were sitting second, two points off top spot and being lauded by many in the media as the best footballing team in the league and being touted as genuine title contenders.

    Today we're eighth, yet despite a run of just one point from 12 there are only eight points separating the top eight teams and as Aberdeen and St Johnstone have shown, a couple of wins can propel you up the table.

    Based on what we've seen so far, are we simply part of an extremely tight league with everyone, bar Celtic and a couple of teams at the bottom, of a similar standard. Or do you think we will ultimately prove better than most and secure another top four finish?


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,404
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A month ago we were sitting second, two points off top spot and being lauded by many in the media as the best footballing team in the league and being touted as genuine title contenders.

    Today we're eighth, yet despite a run of just one point from 12 there are only eight points separating the top eight teams and as Aberdeen and St Johnstone have shown, a couple of wins can propel you up the table.

    Based on what we've seen so far, are we simply part of an extremely tight league with everyone, bar Celtic and a couple of teams at the bottom, of a similar standard. Or do you think we will ultimately prove better than most and secure another top four finish?
    With this squad I think realistically weíll finish 6th. Killie look very good again and Hearts are clearly a decent side. My biggest hope for finishing higher would probably be finishing above Aberdeen who donít look anything exciting or another outstanding January window.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Scoopsville
    Age
    60
    Posts
    9,576
    I would be disappointed if we didn't reel St.Johnstone and Livingston in, that would make 6th place the lowest I would expect.

    Not sure about the others to be honest.

    McGeouch, McGinn and Allan makes a helluva hole in any midfield and it was always going to take a bit of time to get back from losing them.

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Falkirk
    Posts
    4,520
    Livingston and St. Johnstone.

  6. #5
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    38,941
    Anywhere between 3rd and 5th should be our finishing position based on Celtic and Rangers finishing in the top 2 and our direct rivals being Hearts and Aberdeen. We should never be finishing behind any other team in the country.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    28
    Posts
    10,852
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would be disappointed if we didn't reel St.Johnstone and Livingston in, that would make 6th place the lowest I would expect.

    Not sure about the others to be honest.

    McGeouch, McGinn and Allan makes a helluva hole in any midfield and it was always going to take a bit of time to get back from losing them.


    I think Rangers will pull away in 2nd, and then it'll just be about who can piece a bit of form together/sign well in January between the rest.
    Mon the Hibs.

  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,312
    Barring some kind of unexpected disaster - managerial change, long term injuries to key players etc - we should finish in the top four. We'll be ahead of Hearts.

  9. #8
    Testimonial Due Crab apple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Pentlands
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    I think Rangers will pull away in 2nd, and then it'll just be about who can piece a bit of form together/sign well in January between the rest.
    That's where I'm at. I think we'll finish fourth just behind the sheep. We will finish ahead of Hearts. The longer Naismith is out the longer they will go without scoring goals.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    55
    Posts
    10,312
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's where I'm at. I think we'll finish fourth just behind the sheep. We will finish ahead of Hearts. The longer Naismith is out the longer they will go without scoring goals.
    If we click I expect us to be ahead of Aberdeen. They're gash but physical and well drilled - poorer than last season I think.

  11. #10
    Testimonial Due Crab apple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Pentlands
    Posts
    1,205
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we click I expect us to be ahead of Aberdeen. They're gash but physical and well drilled - poorer than last season I think.
    Let's hope so. I agree they're nothing special. We just need to start beating them! A big physical striker to shake things up and Scott Allan might go some way to achieving this.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Diclonius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Larbert
    Age
    29
    Posts
    15,634
    Our absolute minimum is only finishing behind teams with a superior budget (i.e. Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen), i.e. 5th. Finishing below anyone else is a failure, and by extension so is 6th.

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our absolute minimum is only finishing behind teams with a superior budget (i.e. Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Aberdeen), i.e. 5th. Finishing below anyone else is a failure, and by extension so is 6th.
    Yeah, we should always finish ahead of Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Livingston due to our far higher player budget.
    Injuries to vital players will hit these teams and their small squads before the end of the season.
    The scrap for 3rd-5th will eventually be between Hibs, Hearts & Aberdeen.

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    12,738
    Celtic and Aberdeen will finish ahead of us.

    Sevco will implode at some point, we'll be a nudge ahead of Killie and eventually pull a mile ahead of Livi and St Johnstone.

    We'll just about hang in there until January and Neil Lennon will produce some more rabbits from his hat who will fire us on to a very strong second half of the season.

    We're not far away from being a very good side.

  15. #14
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    46
    Posts
    15,211
    All bar Celtic.

  16. #15
    I would expect us to finish no worse than 4th, a few bad results doesnít make us a bad team, things will turn around there is quality in this team and it will shine thru

  17. #16
    Ultimate Slaver Keith_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Between a rock & a hard place
    Posts
    26,016
    It's still early in the season but we don't currently look like a top four side.

    Whether that's down to us being poorer or the opposition improving, I'll leave that for others to decide.

    Currently I can see us struggling to make top six, but would love for Hibs to prove me wrong.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 13-11-2018 at 02:11 PM.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With this squad I think realistically weíll finish 6th. Killie look very good again and Hearts are clearly a decent side. My biggest hope for finishing higher would probably be finishing above Aberdeen who donít look anything exciting or another outstanding January window.
    I'd say that based on the games I've seen, Hearts and Aberdeen have probably impressed me least of the sides above us. Granted Naismith's injury has robbed them of their goal threat, but yams are on a similar run to us at present and I suspect the novelty value of launching a whole new squad at the start of the season has started to wear off.

  19. #18
    League doesnt lie and we are where we are. League will be very tight. We should finish higher than livi and st j but on evidence at this current time we wont. I expect us to finish higher than 7th. I feel the league is so tight a couple of wins will see us back up the league again

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    12,448
    Ask again come new year.

  21. #20
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    The anti-social Social Club
    Posts
    1,510
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    For me, we'll finish 5th.

    1. Celtic
    2. Rangers
    3. Hearts
    4. Aberdeen
    5. Hibs

  22. #21
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    The anti-social Social Club
    Posts
    1,510
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ask again come new year.
    But that changes the original question!

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,404
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ask again come new year.
    That's no how it works. You need to submit a prediction in writing right now

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    12,448
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that changes the original question!
    True in that case Iíll take all your teams and add in Killie.

    Celtic
    Huns
    Hearts
    Killie
    Sheep
    Us (or saints tough call)
    Livi
    Motherwell
    .
    .
    .
    ****fest battle to the end.

    We need to pick up points in our next 4 games otherwise it could be bottom 6. Win 3 out of 4 at least and we go into the next set of games with confidence and you never know. Then a good proportion of the first team go away for about a month (covered partly by the winter break).

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member 90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    12,448
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's no how it works. You need to submit a prediction in writing right now
    Done chief 😆 👍

  26. #25
    Left by mutual consent!
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    The anti-social Social Club
    Posts
    1,510
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's no how it works. You need to submit a prediction in writing right now


    Folk trying to move the goalposts eh??

  27. #26
    Testimonial Due Since90+2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by MackTheKnife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For me, we'll finish 5th.

    1. Celtic
    2. Rangers
    3. Hearts
    4. Aberdeen
    5. Hibs
    I'd tend to agree. Killie could well be above us aswell though.

  28. #27
    First Team Breakthrough
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    295
    All bar Celtic and The rangers

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    23,255
    Hard to say but I donít think the last four games are going to shape our season to be honest. Celtic park was half expected. A point at Tyne isnít the worst based on recent history. The defeat at Home to St Johnstone was the worst of the four but they are now 5 wins on the bounce and no mugs. Friday night the weather was the biggest factor as there was nothing except a defensive blunder between the two teams at a place we havenít exactly got a great recent record either. Time to get back to winning ways for sure but Iím not suicudal quite yet.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,471
    Weíll get above Livi and St Johnstone and finish 6th. Donít see us finishing higher than the other five.

  31. #30
    @hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    17,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's still early in the season but we aren't looking like a better side than the majority of teams, like we did last season.

    Whether that's down to us being poorer or the opposition improving, I'll leave that for others to decide.

    Currently I can see us struggling to make top six, but would love for Hibs to prove me wrong.

    Iím not sure we were looking so hot at this stage last season tbh.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2020 All Rights Reserved
- Mobile Leaderboard (320x50) - Leaderboard (728x90)