hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil lennon

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar

Neil lennon

I've held back from posting much but I'm starting to question our player recruitment. We seem to pull in a number of players who rarely get a chance or are just not good enough.
    We have a team working on player recruitment and I'm looking at Livingston..Kilmarnock and others and thinking how are they doing better

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've held back from posting much but I'm starting to question our player recruitment. We seem to pull in a number of players who rarely get a chance or are just not good enough.
    We have a team working on player recruitment and I'm looking at Livingston..Kilmarnock and others and thinking how are they doing better

They arent recruiting better we have had key injuries and players coming back to speed. Some of the signings will primarily be cover.

In defence maybe but elsewhere in the team ?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    In defence maybe but elsewhere in the team ?

Flo and Mclaren have both had injuries. Midfield jury is out re the balance of it.

They're currently doing better, Livi especially will be nowhere near us in May.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Would you take any Livi players in place of ours?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    I’d take anyone that would help us pick up more points which at this moment in time the Livi players are doing.

You could ask your question of Kilmarnock aswell. No real “fashionable” players that I’d say I was desperate to have in our team but they currently look a lot better than us and while there can be questions asked as to whether Livi will have the staying power, no such questions can realistically be asked of Kilmarnock. They’ll be up there.

So I suppose the question is, why when we have so much more money to spend are Killie (or Livi I suppose) currently a better side than us? The answer to that either lies with the recruitment, the manager or the players not giving us what they’re capable of. It’s probably a combination of all three right now.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Maybe we should change our pitch to plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’d take anyone that would help us pick up more points which at this moment in time the Livi players are doing.

You could ask your question of Kilmarnock aswell. No real “fashionable” players that I’d say I was desperate to have in our team but they currently look a lot better than us and while there can be questions asked as to whether Livi will have the staying power, no such questions can realistically be asked of Kilmarnock. They’ll be up there.

So I suppose the question is, why when we have so much more money to spend are Killie (or Livi I suppose) currently a better side than us? The answer to that either lies with the recruitment, the manager or the players not giving us what they’re capable of. It’s probably a combination of all three right now.
    Or a patch of poor form over 4 hard games. We were above both until that patch. It's that simple.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Or a patch of poor form over 4 hard games. We were above both until that patch. It's that simple.
    And still 8 points off the top spot.............

According to some on here, we have a poorer recruitment team, a poorer manager, and poorer players than all the diddy clubs (Livi,Killie,St J) that are currently above us.

This after one round of games, FFS

The rationale and kneejerk reactions from some people on here are utterly ridiculous.

Our players are better. Their players are performing better, their system is working, ours isnt. Down to lennon to get it right.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    1 point from 12 isn't good reading and Neil is probably facing the biggest challenge of his tenure. Up until now any time we had a bad result we bounced back fairly quickly.

Losing McGinn and McGeouch was always going to mean a massive challenge for us this season. We have lost drive in midfield. Hyndman is a decent footballer but nowhere near as good as the 2 we have lost. Mallan has given us goals from midfield which haven't had for a while but he is not a worker. We are also missing Scott Allan's defence splitting passes.

Our defence has chopped and changed constantly due to injury, and up front our 2 best strikers have also had injuries.

So there are reasons for where we are in the league and I don't think any Manager would have coped any better than Lennon in the same situation.

However, we have some winnable games coming up and 2 or 3 wins will get us up there challenging again.
    Last edited by The Harp Awakes; 12-11-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    How much bigger do you think our budget is? It's not an astronomical gulf like us to celtc/rangers.

We probably have more depth than Livi/killie/St J due to our increased budget but that's about it, the quality of player we can attract is very slightly better but if all of their players stay fit and play well they are well within their rights to defeat us and place above us in the league.

We have played poorly in the last 3 games, the teams we have played against have defeated us but I don't think there is some huge gulf in class between us and them. We were unlucky to lose to St J and Aberdeen, the latter the only difference in the whole game was one single individual error.

These teams are not out playing us even when we play poorly, the manager has to sort out the performances sure but I don't think we are even remotely close to the panic stations yet. If we are adrift in the bottom 6 at new year then I will worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkinho View Post
    Maybe we should change our pitch to plastic.
    They seem to be doing alright on grass also

You think Livingston are recruiting better? Really?

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Kilmarnock would be top of the league if they'd beaten us at Easter Road (remember, we beat them) - I'd say they're punching above their weight at the moment. Clarke seems to have built a really cohesive unit there.

Livingston have had a good start to the season, no doubt, but I'd be very surprised if they are even top 6 at the split.

As for Hibs, we haven't become a bad team overnight - but it's definitely been a bad run recently. The lack of goals in particular is a worry, Boyle has been poor, Mallan has been close but not quite hitting the target, and neither MacLaren or Kamberi look on decent form at the moment. But looking at the season as a whole so far, we have a team that can score goals, hopefully we can return to that over the next few weeks and get a bit of confidence about ER again.

Scott Allan is the missing link if we get him back Goals will come love to see Allan and Mallan

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    4 hard games after 8 easier ones (where we didn’t play the top three once) when you could argue we should have built up a cushion before the 4 hard games. Livi have played Celtic twice, we’ve played them once. Livi have also played Rangers, we’ve not. They’ve been to Tynecastle aswell. Using the fact we’ve not had all the hard games until last as an excuse for being 8th in the league doesnt really wash when every team has now completed a round of what will be by and large similar fixtures.

We’re 8th in the league because over what is pretty much a third of a season - not as insignificant a length of time as people are dressing it up as - we’ve picked up less points than all the teams above us. No excuses regarding the order of these games really justifies for that. That much is simple.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 12-11-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastmainsmsh View Post
    Scott Allan is the missing link if we get him back Goals will come love to see Allan and Mallan
    At the moment we're 2 players short in midfield, someone like Allan and a solid box2box, neither Slivka or Hyndman gives you that and both have been fairly poor so far. Mallan could be the Allan player, he's still fairly young and can only get better.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    They seem to be doing alright on grass also

Last 5 games away;

Livi

1 Win (St Mirren)
    2 Draws (Hearts, Motherwell)
    2 Defeats (Celtic, Hamilton)

Kilmarnock

3 Wins (Dundee, St Mirren, Hearts)
    1 Draw (Rangers)
    1 Loss (Hibs)

Hibs

2 Wins (Dundee, St Mirren)
    1 Draw (Hearts)
    2 Losses (Celtic, Aberdeen)

I'll agree with you that they're doing "alright", but their away form is no better than ours really when you take into consideration that we've had a tougher run of recent away games over the piece. It's their home form on their ***** pitches that's getting them places - although they got beat on Hamilton's.

@hibs.net private member
    I still retain 100% confidence in Lennon but am beginning to get frustrated by our poor away record at places like Pittodrie and Tynecastle.

These are tough, tough grounds and I would absolutely not expect us to be going and winning every game but our record is woeful.

I think our recruitment has been above average but there are gaps up front and in midfield, whilst we seem to have an abundance of defenders.

We also can't quite seem to find a consistent formation or balance in the team. Given the players we've lost over the summer I think this season has been about what I expected but I really hope we can kick once Kamberi and McLaren are back fit and playing together.

Scott Allan in January would be a massive boost but we then have to deal with McLaren, Milligan and Boyle going away the same month. At the moment I'm not sure how we'll cope.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

How many times have we played our strongest team, all fully match fit?

4 hard games after 8 easier ones (where we didn’t play the top three once) when you could argue we should have built up a cushion before the 4 hard games. Livi have played Celtic twice, we’ve played them once. Livi have also played Rangers, we’ve not. They’ve been to Tynecastle aswell. Using the fact we’ve not had all the hard games until last as an excuse for being 8th in the league doesnt really wash when every team has now completed a round of what will be by and large similar fixtures.

We’re 8th in the league because over what is pretty much a third of a season - not as insignificant a length of time as people are dressing it up as - we’ve picked up less points than all the teams above us. No excuses regarding the order of these games really justifies for that. That much is simple.
    We’ve played Aberdeen twice and 5 home / 7 away games. It’s a marathon not a sprint mate

Blog Entries

Why is the thread entitled Neil Lennon? Your question is all about player recruitment & NL is only one (important) part of that structure. We have 13 full internationalists in our squad, I suspect that's way more than Killie & Livi put together. So our recruitment (on paper) is good, so are we making the most effective use of our players? That's another question which is why I suspect you named the thread "Neil Lennon" in the 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    We’ve played Aberdeen twice and 5 home / 7 away games. It’s a marathon not a sprint mate
    Using the order of fixtures etc as an excuse for poor results/league position is clutching at straws. I’m not going to go through other teams fixtures but everyone has now played enough games that we will all have played similar fixtures, whether that be a banker 3 points against Dundee or a difficult game against Celtic. I could understand the logic if we’d played Celtic twice, Aberdeen twice (and if they were actually any good, they’re not particularly) Rangers twice etc but we’ve not had some freakishly hard opening to the season compared to other teams yet we’ve not picked up as many points.

It may well be a marathon, but our first 8 miles of this marathon have been ran at below the pace we have set ourselves to achieve our expected finishing time and we’ve now got catching up to do.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 12-11-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Why is the thread entitled Neil Lennon? Your question is all about player recruitment & NL is only one (important) part of that structure. We have 13 full internationalists in our squad, I suspect that's way more than Killie & Livi put together. So our recruitment (on paper) is good, so are we making the most effective use of our players? That's another question which is why I suspect you named the thread "Neil Lennon" in the 1st place.
    Full internationalists doesn’t really mean a lot though. Scott Allan and Flo were two of our best players last season yet neither has a full cap. Slivka, Hyndman, and the two full backs we’ve signed recently are all full internationals yet haven’t offered anything like enough (the two full backs haven’t been given an opportunity to be fair). We’ve had numerous full internationalists in the recent past who have been utterly honking.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post

I liked the way that their centre forward played. Put me in mind of Jason Scotland the way the he rolled players and could hold it up. But as an addition, not a replacement.

Gary Holt is doing a great job of making Livi hard to beat. If Lennon set up teams this way this play would be in even more meltdown.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Gary Holt is doing a great job of making Livi hard to beat. If Lennon set up teams this way this play would be in even more meltdown.
    Livi have just as many wins as us this season. He’s also made them just as capable of winning as we are.

Livi have just as many wins as us this season. He’s also made them just as capable of winning as we are.
    They wouldn't be without that pitch.