hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotland Squad

Blog Entries

Scotland Squad

McLeish just on Sky & asked why no Tom Cairney. He answered correctly that Cairney was just back from injury. Unfortunately he then said that Cairney came on as a sub last night, he actually started, & he then muttered something about him being neat on the ball. It was painfully & embarrassingly obvious that he hadn't seen the game. Just a shambles.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Ah isn’t Cairney and not the Bournemouth player the one who can still play for England and keeps bumping the squad?

It's a decent enough squad, the players id want to see are in there. It's whether he can do anything with them.

Steven Fletcher?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    A decent manager would get that squad of players competing and doing some excellent things. I just don't believe McLeish fits that bill.

Looking at the squad, I'm pondering whatever happened to Ikechi Anya? He was one of the most exciting players I can remember seeing in a Scotland shirt, but he completely fell out of the picture? Not blaming McLeish, just curious as to where he went.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A decent manager would get that squad of players competing and doing some excellent things. I just don't believe McLeish fits that bill.

Looking at the squad, I'm pondering whatever happened to Ikechi Anya? He was one of the most exciting players I can remember seeing in a Scotland shirt, but he completely fell out of the picture? Not blaming McLeish, just curious as to where he went.
    I think he had a clause in his contract with Derby if he played another game it was going to cost them a lot of money, he then fell out the picture for a bit and they’ve now got a new manager.

I’m not sure if he’s moved on or not yet but I think that was the story. We were linked with him by someone on here last January which is why I looked into his situation a bit.

That was a long time ago though so theres a chance I’m getting him mixed up with someone else.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Ah isn’t Cairney and not the Bournemouth player the one who can still play for England and keeps bumping the squad?
    If it's Ryan Fraser, that doesn't make sense as he has played full competitive internationals for us.

16 goals at internationally in that squad. 9 midfielders with 1 goal between them.

magic.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Yes, it's Cairney. Personally I think he's overrated but my Fulham friends say he's by far their best player, not the best endorsement at the moment mind you. The fact is we have a far greater talent pool available to us than Wales, The R of I & Northern Ireland but we fail to produce the results required.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    McLeish just on Sky & asked why no Tom Cairney. He answered correctly that Cairney was just back from injury. Unfortunately he then said that Cairney came on as a sub last night, he actually started, & he then muttered something about him being neat on the ball. It was painfully & embarrassingly obvious that he hadn't seen the game. Just a shambles.
    I hope the rumours of deteriating health are not true...but he really doesnt seem quite right these days.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I had no idea he qualifies for Scotland. He’s a real quality player that should be in every squad if fit.

United we stand here....

Rhodes and Anya,Both goal scorers,seem to have disappeared completely.McLeish does not appear well to me any time Isee him on TV.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    I wish McLeish no harm, but he is coming over as a bit of a slaver these days.

Something seems amiss with him.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes, it's Cairney. Personally I think he's overrated but my Fulham friends say he's by far their best player, not the best endorsement at the moment mind you. The fact is we have a far greater talent pool available to us than Wales, The R of I & Northern Ireland but we fail to produce the results required.
    I've heard similar about Cairney but he hasn't stood out much when I've seen him. Given he's playing alongside guys like Sessengon, Schurrle, Seri and Mitrovic though, he must be doing something right if the Fulham fans are saying that.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I had no idea he qualifies for Scotland. He’s a real quality player that should be in every squad if fit.
    he has played for scotland already

Cairney, Ritchie, Snodgrass and McArthur all saying no thanks to a call up. Shows you where international football stands...
    It will be interesting to see if Fraser plays this time round. In his defence, he may still be traumatised after being played as a wing-back against Belgium.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Cairney, Ritchie, Snodgrass and McArthur all saying no thanks to a call up. Shows you where international football stands...
    It will be interesting to see if Fraser plays this time round. In his defence, he may still be traumatised after being played as a wing-back against Belgium.
    Didn't realise Snodgrass & Ritchie have refused to play.

Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    This is becoming a real problem. Thats 4 players that should walk into our team and due to Eck they wont play.

Michael Devlin 🙈

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This is becoming a real problem. Thats 4 players that should walk into our team and due to Eck they wont play.
    Is it due to Eck?

Or do they not really rate this competition and value their club football more?

Cairney was crap in his only previous appearance, but his pedigree is such that surely he deserves more than one opportunity to impress?

I've always thought that there should be a long way back for players who want to pick and choose when they turn up for International duty.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    If a player picks and chooses which international fixtures they want to show up for - especially if they're ****ing competitive ones - they should be banned from selection.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    I've heard similar about Cairney but he hasn't stood out much when I've seen him. Given he's playing alongside guys like Sessengon, Schurrle, Seri and Mitrovic though, he must be doing something right if the Fulham fans are saying that.
    Agreed.

Not sure how many times I've seen him play or how many caps he has but i remember i got a right bee in my bonnet about how anonymous he was in his last cap for Scotland. Think he may have kept SJM out the team that night and it really annoyed me.

I'm approaching the stage of thinking it's probably best for Scotland if we lose these up coming games so we would replace Mcleish. It's sad to see him so far out his depth just now as I think he's probably a decent guy and i'm sure he knows his football, he just shouldn't be our national manager.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    If it's Ryan Fraser, that doesn't make sense as he has played full competitive internationals for us.
    Yeah I got Fraser mixed up last week as it was Cairney who can still play for England. Where’s the Leeds captain? Same Leeds that are doing brilliantly?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Agreed.

Not sure how many times I've seen him play or how many caps he has but i remember i got a right bee in my bonnet about how anonymous he was in his last cap for Scotland. Think he may have kept SJM out the team that night and it really annoyed me.

I'm approaching the stage of thinking it's probably best for Scotland if we lose these up coming games so we would replace Mcleish. It's sad to see him so far out his depth just now as I think he's probably a decent guy and i'm sure he knows his football, he just shouldn't be our national manager.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    has mcarthur not retired so he can play club football longer? sure i read snodgrass was just back from injury so thats why he wasnt picked

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I don’t get the hate I’m seeing on social media for McBurnie. He seems to be doing well at Swansea.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Not sure they should walk into the team (all have had chances and aren't nailed on starters). I agree it's a problem if lots of players are now rejecting call ups.
    Last edited by Speedy; 07-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    I don’t get the hate I’m seeing on social media for McBurnie. He seems to be doing well at Swansea.
    I think it's because he's been terrible for Scotland and looked well out of his depth.

I'm pleased Fletcher is back in, he's no world beater but he's probably the best we've got available in that position. We've not got a great amount of options in that position so i've no issue with McBurnie being in the squad, i'd hope he's not starting though.

Blog Entries
    Agreed.

I'm with you on this. I feel sorry for McLeish because I'm not sure he's got the concentration & focus required for the job. He seemed befuddled in the interview I saw & he continually makes inaccurate comments. He said today that "Snoddy is nursing an ankle knock". He seems unaware that Snodgrass has started West Ham's last 3 league games. Similarly he seems unaware of the existence of Liam Cooper, currently captain of the English Championship leaders but he picks the likes of Jack Hendry & Devlin before him. I hope he's ok but i fear he's doing himself & our national team harm by continuing in the role.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I think it's because he's been terrible for Scotland and looked well out of his depth.

I'm pleased Fletcher is back in, he's no world beater but he's probably the best we've got available in that position. We've not got a great amount of options in that position so i've no issue with McBurnie being in the squad, i'd hope he's not starting though.
    I agree he’s not been great.

International football is a tough one, unless a player makes an immediate impact they are shelved. Cairney seems to have fallen that way too. These guys need experience at International Level if he rates them (which you would think he does or did as they were in his first squads)

McLeish needs to find his best eleven (or fifteen) a system that plays to their strengths, and have the conviction to stand by his choices. Any decent manager worth their salt does this when first in the door of a new post.