hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar

is it time for a flag debate?

seriously. IMO, all of this needs to stop. i saw some gimp selling easter lilly badges on a hibs FB page recently FFS. The fact is, the tricolor didn't even exist what we were founded, and it has no part in our present. if we want to tell everyone else to start behaving, we need to get our house in order first.

2. Log in to remove the advert

To be honest after last night, I think flags are the least of our worries.

Although I can't be bothered with the numpties who dust off their Irish tricolours for 8 games a season whenever we play Hearts and Rangers and you never see them at any other match.

If they were truly wanting to celebrate the club's heritage, they would be doing so in a much more respectful manner and not using a national flag in such an antagonistic way.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    seriously. IMO, all of this needs to stop. i saw some gimp selling easter lilly badges on a hibs FB page recently FFS. The fact is, the tricolor didn't even exist what we were founded, and it has no part in our present. if we want to tell everyone else to start behaving, we need to get our house in order first.
    Absolutely. Those Easter Lily pin badges the size of a 1p piece undoubtedly the cause of last night's unsavoury scenes. Petrie!!!!

There hasn't half been some pish on here the last 24hrs.

Bollocks. Why do you think you have the right to tell anyone what flag or badge they should fly or wear? Tri-colours and Easter Lillies are fine by me. Because we support Hibs I suppose we should all have the same idea of what that means. Broad church.

The short answer to the question is no.

I've never understood how people have managed to get so wound up by flags, whether it's burning them, the choice of which one gets hung from the town hall or whatever.

If you're enraged by a saltire, a union flag, a tricolour or whatever, you are the one with the problem.

I've never even heard of an Easter Lily. What is it?

We should be (and are) having a decent debate about how we stop people acting like dicks at derbies. That does not include a flag debate.

If it was a means of supporting the club’s history then such symbols would be at the games every week. Not some spotty 15 year old waving a tricolour about to get the attention of his pal from school waving a Union Jack in the Hearts end.

The Irish tricolour predates Hibs by decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

I've never understood how people have managed to get so wound up by flags, whether it's burning them, the choice of which one gets hung from the town hall or whatever.

If you're enraged by a saltire, a union flag, a tricolour or whatever, you are the one with the problem.

We should be (and are) having a decent debate about how we stop people acting like dicks at derbies. That does not include a flag debate.
    do you think historical sectarianism, and the subsequent identification of thugs who will use anything as an excuse to act like an arse, has nothing to do with flags? as far as i can make it, it's literally the most visible reminder of all this stuff.

or do you think that sectarianism isn't an undercurrent factor in people acting like dicks at derbies?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Easter lily badges are the Irish republican equivalent of poppies. Worn at easter because of the 1916 easter rising.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I've no problems with flags, it's the ****s that wave them that grip my ****.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    If it was a means of supporting the club’s history then such symbols would be at the games every week. Not some spotty 15 year old waving a tricolour about to get the attention of his pal from school waving a Union Jack in the Hearts end.
    ...exactly.

i don't care about the tricolor myself, i care about how it is used. when i was a wee moron 12 years ago i bought an erin gu bragh flag for this exact reason, thought i was a right proper legend and that. i bought it precisely to annoy rangers fans, which it did, and tbh i don't know how i didn't get battered on one occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    I've no problems with flags, it's the ****s that wave them that grip my ****.

I wouldn’t say so.

do you think historical sectarianism, and the subsequent identification of thugs who will use anything as an excuse to act like an arse, has nothing to do with flags? as far as i can make it, it's literally the most visible reminder of all this stuff.

or do you think that sectarianism isn't an undercurrent factor in people acting like dicks at derbies?
    No, I don't think sectarianism is an undercurrent in people acting like dicks at derbies. Hearts have a small element, and one or two naughty songs that are aired from time to time, and the stuff targeted at our manager is dreadful. I don't think Hibs have a sectarianism problem in the least. Dicks waving flags to wind each other up is not sectarianism. I do not accept that Hibs have a problem with sectarianism, even if we have picked up a dreadful little ditty (which needs banished asap) that might suggest we do.

Flags are whatever you want them to be. It is unhealthy to attach significance to them.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Absolutely nail on the head.

@hibs.net private member
    Is it time for another flag debate? NO!!!
    The ones we've had in the past achieved absolutely nothing.

We don't have many displays at all week in week out, we tend to save these things for the big games

It's not unique to flags

Those of you moaning about how the tri colours only come out for the hun games would most definitely be the first ones to go ballistic if they suddenly appeared against the likes of the sheep or motherwell and probably end up telling the culprit to save it for Tynie/Ibrox...

We as a club are very fortunate to have such a strong and historic identity and if people wish to express it by flying a tri colour, Ulster banner or a saltire then that is absolutely fine by me. Let’s not pretend we are some sort of desperate mob trying to latch onto something for the sake of it like that shower in Gorgie, carrying banners of Lee Rigby and singing about the UVF hoping the real huns might take notice every now and again, we’re Hibernian.

Alba gu brath, Erin go bragh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my take on it.

There is no doubt that the current trend in Edinburgh football is towards a return to the bad old days of the 70s. Part of that is the return to Easter Road of the tricolour and the Union flag to Tynecastle. I don't give an actual **** if we are entitled to fly the tricolour because of the clubs Irish roots or if the Yams are 'entitled' to fly the Union flag because it is after all the flag of Great Britain. The utter truth is that the use of both flags is helping to drive a sectarian element to our rivalry which I for one thought and hoped was long gone.

If anybody seriously thinks this is the problem of folk who are making too much of this because after all its only a flag then they are deluding themselves … if its not the solution its part of the problem and both flags being waved by the respective supports are part of the problem, whether folk are prepared to admit that or not.

There were too many tricolours in the Hibs end last night and I for one will be happy when they are long gone …. and if I'm being honest you can chuck the 'Erin go bragh' flags in the sodding bin along with them … we are not an Irish club, we are a Scottish one and unless you are Irish what the hell has an Ireland forever flag got to do with you anyway?

Lets stop kidding ourselves …. acknowledging the clubs roots is one thing, we do that in the clubs name, the clubs colours and by having the original Irish harp in our badge … nobody, including me, has any problem with that .. I firmly believe we should honour the original founders of our club and the struggle they had both against sectarianism and poverty. But waving Irish tricolours and Erin go bragh flags only helps to stoke a reaction from folk at certain other clubs who just love to keep the sectarian pot boiling … its not needed at the football and I want my club to be the one to put it to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This is my take on it.

There is no doubt that the current trend in Edinburgh football is towards a return to the bad old days of the 70s. Part of that is the return to Easter Road of the tricolour and the Union flag to Tynecastle. I don't give an actual **** if we are entitled to fly the tricolour because of the clubs Irish roots or if the Yams are 'entitled' to fly the Union flag because it is after all the flag of Great Britain. The utter truth is that the use of both flags is helping to drive a sectarian element to our rivalry which I for one thought and hoped was long gone.

If anybody seriously thinks this is the problem of folk who are making too much of this because after all its only a flag then they are deluding themselves … if its not the solution its part of the problem and both flags being waved by the respective supports are part of the problem, whether folk are prepared to admit that or not.

There were too many tricolours in the Hibs end last night and I for one will be happy when they are long gone …. and if I'm being honest you can chuck the 'Erin go bragh' flags in the sodding bin along with them … we are not an Irish club, we are a Scottish one and unless you are Irish what the hell has an Ireland forever flag got to do with you anyway?

Lets stop kidding ourselves …. acknowledging the clubs roots is one thing, we do that in the clubs name, the clubs colours and by having the original Irish harp in our badge … nobody, including me, has any problem with that .. I firmly believe we should honour the original founders of our club and the struggle they had both against sectarianism and poverty. But waving Irish tricolours and Erin go bragh flags only helps to stoke a reaction from folk at certain other clubs who just love to keep the sectarian pot boiling … its not needed at the football and I want my club to be the one to put it to bed.
    Well said sir!

This is my take on it.

"Erin go bragh" is the historic club motto....

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Our manager and one of our players are Irish but we have a problem with their national flag? Only in Scotland! I’ve no problem with virtually any kind of flag being taken in by fans and I include the green, white and black union flags even though I’m personally in favour of an independent Scotland.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    A slightly different take. Im English and live in England, I constantly fight against the notion that Hibs are mini Celtic as so many people down here think/presume we are. To third parties in England and the large number of Rangers sympathisers down here, our tricolours just confirm their belief we are just diet celtic. I realise to a small minority of Hibs fans thats ok and actually reilsh being brothers in arms with celtic. To me thats a key issue of being a Hibs fan, a pretty Bohemian football club, totally inclusive, but we cover a wide range of beliefs and political stances. We have Irish roots we nearly all recognise that but we havent been an "irish club" for well over 100 years. We're a football club not a political institution, save that for the dynamic duo in Glasgow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Our manager and one of our players are Irish but we have a problem with their national flag? Only in Scotland! I’ve no problem with virtually any kind of flag being taken in by fans and I include the green, white and black union flags even though I’m personally in favour of an independent Scotland.
    i actually quite like the green white and black UJs, they look smart. it's clearly a hibs flag, any other connotation is completely secondary.

what about red whit and blue UJs and red hands at ibrox and tynecaste?

as has been said, this isn't about 'having a problem' with a national flag, it's about having a problem with how they are used by those that bring them to games.

they are used to stoke a fire.
    Last edited by AgentDaleCooper; 01-11-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    Exactly. Are Everton or Blackburn not allowed theirs unless they’re ancient Romans?

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree. I want to see Irish flags OUT of Easter Road and back at Celtic Park where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Well said.

Problems ive seen from our support have been from coked up wee ned wannabe cashies. Flags don't hurt anyone, its coins and bottles that hurt people. The issue that Hibs need to address is an element of our support that are more wannabe Green Street than wannabe Green Brigade and who think its acceptable to launch coins and other objects at opposing fans, players and officials.

Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post

This is my take on it.

absolutely, very well said