hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lennon's agent.

1. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think these factors are definitely part of the vitriol aimed at Lennon...

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    As I pointed out on the LD Interview thread, he played in England for 13 years and didn't attract trouble.

It started when he signed for Celtic.

Have a read at this (also posted on the LD thread)

Football: Why do people want to kill Neil Lennon?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y_to_clipboard
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

He’s not wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hits the nail right on the head.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Nail on the head, when you look at the responses to the tweet you can see it clearly

He's spot on.

There have been plenty 'nasty' players and managers in Scotland before who haven't attracted what Neil Lennon has. As pointed put above he attracted nothing like the same attention in England. There's a nasty, sectarian element of our society in Scotland that bubbles just below the surface in many who we might not call your fully fledged bigots and it boils over when a target like Lennon becomes available.

He's been sinned against far more than he's ever sinned.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He's spot on.

There have been plenty 'nasty' players and managers in Scotland before who haven't attracted what Neil Lennon has. As pointed put above he attracted nothing like the same attention in England. There's a nasty, sectarian element of our society in Scotland that bubbles just below the surface in many who we might not call your fully fledged bigots and it boils over when a target like Lennon becomes available.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Is Lennons agent normally on that radio show or did he go on to discuss Lennon after what happened last night?

I really hope the maniacs don’t drive Lennon out of Scottish football but looking at it from his perspective there must be a temptation to Jack it in and get a job down south with a fraction of the hassle.

I’ve been a bit paranoid about him moving on for a while now though so I’m maybe reading too much into it.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i didn't actually watch the video but had a wee sketch at the first couple of dozen comments, r angers fans have to be the ****miest piece of s**t on gods great earth.............. FACT

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex
    Seems to be the elephant in the room and I’m glad his agent has came out and said it publicly, probably won’t change anything but it had to be said!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He's spot on.

A bigot is a bigot. Nobody is a bigot for 90 minutes and it is never bubbling below the surface, it runs through their every fibre. The only reason they don't act out in everyday life is they is they are cowards who hide in crowds or are anonymous on social media.

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Is Lennons agent normally on that radio show or did he go on to discuss Lennon after what happened last night?

I really hope the maniacs don’t drive Lennon out of Scottish football but looking at it from his perspective there must be a temptation to Jack it in and get a job down south with a fraction of the hassle.

I’ve been a bit paranoid about him moving on for a while now though so I’m maybe reading too much into it.
    He certainly won’t want to rejoin the OF goldfish bowl anytime soon.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Yup, bang on the money there.

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    As I pointed out on the LD Interview thread, he played in England for 13 years and didn't attract trouble.

It started when he signed for Celtic.

Have a read at this (also posted on the LD thread)

Football: Why do people want to kill Neil Lennon?

https://www.theguardian.com/football...y_to_clipboard
    Highly insightful article. Great find.

That was posted 7 years ago and nothings changed. Imagine having to live with that blind hatred day after day... I can't, and I doubt that many people really can. I have so much respect for Neil Lennon that it's difficult to articulate.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Before he came to us, he was hated by most of our fans. Not to the extent of assaulting him etc of course. However he was roundly despised. Just saying......

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Before he came to us, he was hated by most of our fans. Not to the extent of assaulting him etc of course. However he was roundly despised. Just saying......

Not by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    I will admit to having a massive dislike for him. Purely down being an old firm player/manager. Nothing more.

Happy to say I was wrong.
    Last edited by Lendo; 02-11-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Spot on.

Did Lennon ever have any major controversial incidents as a player? Deliberately injuring anyone, spitting on anyone etc that kind of thing? I always remember him being a hard but fair player but I don’t remember him doing anything outrageous. People hate folk like El Hadj Diouf cause of his actions on the pitch. People hate Lennon for the reasons stated in the video.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    i absolutely hated him as a player, he was exactly the nasty wee bugger type that did you nut in for 90 minutes, nipping at players, winding them up, nipping in the ref's ear. i think his personality is a factor in the vitriol aimed at him.

i say 'factor' - it is NOT a cause. plenty of people are hated because of their persona on the football pitch.

there exists absolute sectarian bile within our game, and this is why he gets abused. his personality amplifies this, as he winds people up, including a lot of awful bigoted people.

it's his right to be himself, he can take all the name calling anyone could throw at him. it's no-ones right to physically assault him.

just to clarify - i absolutely adore neil lennon now. he is the best hibs manager in my life time by miles.
    Last edited by AgentDaleCooper; 01-11-2018 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post
    I will admit to have a massive dislike for him. Purely down being an old firm player/manager. Nothing more.

Happy to say I was wrong.

What about Dylan McGeough? Scott Allan? McGinn is Celtic through and through although he's not played for them!

McGregor?
    Ambrose?

Must have a massive dislike for them as well...

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    What about Dylan McGeough? Scott Allan? McGinn is Celtic through and through although he's not played for them!

McGregor?
    Ambrose?

Must have a massive dislike for them as well...
    People disliked Lennon because he is the type of person opposition fans love to hate and he was the same as Celtic manager. I thought (and still do think) the way he acted throughout the Tannadice referee nonsense was pretty poor.

I'd hardly heard of Dylan McGeouch before he joined us. Dreadful comparison really.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Spot on.

Did Lennon ever have any major controversial incidents as a player? Deliberately injuring anyone, spitting on anyone etc that kind of thing? I always remember him being a hard but fair player but I don’t remember him doing anything outrageous. People hate folk like El Hadj Diouf cause of his actions on the pitch. People hate Lennon for the reasons stated in the video.
    Can’t find it, but sure I remember him stamping/deliberately landing on an opposition player playing for Celtc in Europe. Maybe against Bratislava.

As for Lennon, pre Hibs I strongly disliked him as, especially, a player, and also a manager, at Celtc in the same way and for the same reasons fans up and down England hated Robbie Savage.

He’s one of us and fights out corner so has won me over, but if he had been the manager of any other team I’d probably dislike him. He is very abrasive and forthright, which you love when he’s your manager but not when looking in from the outside.

Amidst all the faux outrage currently being displayed across all media outlets, not one of them has the courage to mention the elephant in the room: that anti-irish, anti-catholic bigotry is still endemic in large swathes of Scottish society.

Until people have the courage to bring this shame on our country to the fore, it will continue unabated, and indeed flourish as the sense of impunity amongst the morons grows greater.

Also, the media has taken it's opportunity to shift the spotlight clearly on to other clubs here, whilst they conveniently skirt around the same issues that are so prevalent at every game involving Sevco. None of the crap those ****bags have been involved in of late has received anything like the coverage last night has, but then I don't know why I'm even surprised by the press and their antics anymore.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Related or not, sectarianism in Scottish society really needs addressing. It is embarrassing and a huge stain on our country. It's shameful that the authorities continually do nothing about it. Looking through social media it's sad to see the amount of young misguided idiots who seem to wear it as some sort of badge of pride. It needs challenging as it makes us look like some ugly 17th Century backwater. Sadly I don't ever see this changing.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Related or not, sectarianism in Scottish society really needs addressing. It is embarrassing and a huge stain on our country. It's shameful that the authorities continually do nothing about it. Looking through social media it's sad to see the amount of young misguided idiots who seem to wear it as some sort of badge of pride. It needs challenging as it makes us look like some ugly 17th Century backwater. Sadly I don't ever see this changing.
    It won't whilst the authorities continue to give their tacit approval of it. If it was racism, sexism, or any other form of xenophobia or religious intolerance, then the authorities would be all over the backs of the perpetrators.

The fact that they're not tells you that this stain on our society emanates from the corridors of power, and is deep rooted in the upper echelons of our society too.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    People disliked Lennon because he is the type of person opposition fans love to hate and he was the same as Celtic manager. I thought (and still do think) the way he acted throughout the Tannadice referee nonsense was pretty poor.

I'd hardly heard of Dylan McGeouch before he joined us. Dreadful comparison really.

Are you joking?

The rationale for disliking Lennon was that he played for/managed one of the old firm. McGeough was at both!
    No-one else seems to have been mentioned as being disliked purely because they were at either Celtic or Rangers - just Lennon.

Maybe Lennons agents claims of why he is disliked so much is also applicable to elements of the Hibs support...??

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth

To be honest, I think he knows exactly what he's doing.

I've lived in England and Wales for the last 20 years, and I would say roughly 95% of people have absolutely no concept of what the Troubles were about.

All they know from the media is that the IRA are murdering *******s, and the UDA and UVF are the same organisation but can't spell.

I would hazard a guess that a similar percentage of people in Scotland are clueless about the history, religious divides, ideology and politics of the struggle in Ireland, but a significant minority are polarised by family traditions and the club they support.

I think now he's outwith the goldfish bowl of the Glaswegian sectarian cesspit, he's quite happy to stick his head above the parapet and be an occasional target for the hard-of-thinking in our society.

So what will that achieve? Who knows?

But anything that raises the issue of sectarianism in Scottish football should surely be welcomed, especially through the back door, so to speak.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    As someone who was brought up in a church attending protestant background of course he's right. I don't like Levein, Rodgers or Geddsdd but only in footballing terms. I don't think the hatred for Lennon is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Are you joking?

The rationale for disliking Lennon was that he played for/managed one of the old firm. McGeough was at both!
    No-one else seems to have been mentioned as being disliked purely because they were at either Celtic or Rangers - just Lennon.

Maybe Lennons agents claims of why he is disliked so much is also applicable to elements of the Hibs support...??
    You're talking utter *****. He was hated because he was a dirty wee ******* as a player as was Barry Ferguson at the time when at rangers. They were both hated because of the way they played.