hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Next derby at Tynecastle to be played behind closed doors?

That's an option I think which should be seriously considered. This fixture has descended into little more than a venom-filled battle, with football a secondary consideration. The pent-up emotions of both sets of fans and players (the Hearts players in particular I would say) make it, in my opinion, a deeply unpleasant experience and I find it hard to understand how anyone can say they actually 'enjoy' it. The level of pure hatred in the air is appalling and the behaviour of a lot of those in attendance is close to neanderthal. We try to claim the Edinburgh derby doesn't carry the bile that goes with an Old Firm game, but I sometimes wonder if we're kidding ourselves. As a parent, I wouldn't even have considered taking kids along last night.

Tynecastle itself is, IMHO, not a safe environment in which to hold such events. The small playing surface with stands far too close to the pitch puts players, coaches and officials in too dangerous a position when you have a crowd populated by a lot of folk who, through drink or just plain imbecility, can't be trusted to behave. It's not the first time Neil Lennon has been assaulted in this stadium and that alone should see the authorities seriously consider the safety surrounding high-octane fixtures at this venue. Playing the next Tynecastle derby behind closed doors might help to give everyone pause for thought.

More generally, Lennon is spot on when he says he shouldn't be expected to simply sit and take 90 minutes of filthy verbal abuse. Football is pretty much unique as a sport (bar, perhaps boxing and wrestling) in that fans appear to think that buying a ticket entitles them to hurl that sort of poison at referees or opposing managers and players - and in some cases actually attack them! It's the sort of stuff that would have you thrown out of most other sporting events or public performances and even arrested. No question, getting older sees you become less tolerant of such idiocy, but it also brings with it a perspective on how daft this all is.

Sorry if this comes across as a pompous rant, but having thoroughly enjoyed the early part of yesterday evening as kids around the neighbourhood scurried around guising and simply having fun, the behaviour on view at the derby soured my mood considerably.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Don't think that will happen but you could see the barrier up around the ground they used to have. Animals behave better.

We're just getting hysterical now.

First Team Breakthrough
    I would say no chance of that happening, and would also say if it did happen, it wouldn’t only make the next derby after that even worse imo

@hibs.net private member
    Folk need to seriously calm down. Where you even at the match?

I think we need to try policing the match properly or at a push, closing small sections of the ground in the flashpoint areas before we need to go for the crazy options.

no that shouldnt happen, folk just need to grow up and behave whilst supporting their team

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we need to try policing the match properly or at a push, closing small sections of the ground in the flashpoint areas before we need to go for the crazy options.
    Another option would be to end segregation and see if as many folk are so 'brave' when both sets of fans are sitting together. It might actually make some folk start to behave like normal members of society.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    That's an option I think which should be seriously considered. This fixture has descended into little more than a venom-filled battle, with football a secondary consideration. The pent-up emotions of both sets of fans and players (the Hearts players in particular I would say) make it, in my opinion, a deeply unpleasant experience and I find it hard to understand how anyone can say they actually 'enjoy' it. The level of pure hatred in the air is appalling and the behaviour of a lot of those in attendance is close to neanderthal. We try to claim the Edinburgh derby doesn't carry the bile that goes with an Old Firm game, but I sometimes wonder if we're kidding ourselves. As a parent, I wouldn't even have considered taking kids along last night.

Tynecastle itself is, IMHO, not a safe environment in which to hold such events. The small playing surface with stands far too close to the pitch puts players, coaches and officials in too dangerous a position when you have a crowd populated by a lot of folk who, through drink or just plain imbecility, can't be trusted to behave. It's not the first time Neil Lennon has been assaulted in this stadium and that alone should see the authorities seriously consider the safety surrounding high-octane fixtures at this venue. Playing the next Tynecastle derby behind closed doors might help to give everyone pause for thought.

More generally, Lennon is spot on when he says he shouldn't be expected to simply sit and take 90 minutes of filthy verbal abuse. Football is pretty much unique as a sport (bar, perhaps boxing and wrestling) in that fans appear to think that buying a ticket entitles them to hurl that sort of poison at referees or opposing managers and players - and in some cases actually attack them! It's the sort of stuff that would have you thrown out of most other sporting events or public performances and even arrested. No question, getting older sees you become less tolerant of such idiocy, but it also brings with it a perspective on how daft this all is.

Sorry if this comes across as a pompous rant, but having thoroughly enjoyed the early part of yesterday evening as kids around the neighbourhood scurried around guising and simply having fun, the behaviour on view at the derby soured my mood considerably.

Deary f***ing me.

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    When we were at Bronby there was a wire fence which was a considerable height to discourage throwing of objects.Could this be the next move at grounds here.

Hysteria around this is unreal. Similar behaviour happens at most major derbies around the world. Not condoning the behaviour, just an unfortunate part of the game.

Next derby at Tynecastle to be played overseas?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Next just not play it and call it draw. Behind closed doors, aye right.

Amazing this is an actual thought of a supporter.

Closed doors is just being silly. They probably should be stopped from selling the front row of seats around the ground though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    😂 one of the most over the top posts I've ever read on here in 15 odd years!
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

What a ridiculous suggestion.

First Team Breakthrough superbam's Avatar
    FFS folk need to calm down. Seems like an ongoing competition to be outraged at crowd behaviour among some people.

Left by mutual consent!
    A semi-decent, competent, un-biased referee would help reduce the poisonous atmosphere !

Testimonial Due green with envy's Avatar

Just when you thought you thought you had seen the last of the stupid posts Re: last night's game.

Quote Originally Posted by staunchhibby View Post
    When we were at Bronby there was a wire fence which was a considerable height to discourage throwing of objects.Could this be the next move at grounds here.
    I doubt it. The UK view, based on Hillsborough, is that fans should be able to spill on to the pitch in an emergency.

It's getting abit ridiculous now. The game won't be and shouldn't be player behind closed doors.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post

They'll think their in Europe!! Its a Naw from me!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo View Post

That's a cracker! Cue trouble in the airport bars and in the bars in Warsaw or Leipzig or whatever.

No no no no no.

Christ almighty.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I'd prefer the police to do some policing to be honest, and remember this is tiny castle we're talking about so the doors we want to shut probably haven't been fitted yet.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

😂😂😂

Absolute hysteria.

@hibs.net private member
    From somebody no at the game I assume?

What might be a realistic option for the authorities is to stop hearts selling tickets from the front one or two rows to stop fans being so close to the player, I sincerely hope that doesn’t happen though.